Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Dock Trouble

I am running a MBP with a 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. 2GB RAM, and other good stuff.

My problem is I don't know how to reset the dock. I have used Terminal to kill the dock and bring it back, but that is not the thing. I want to restore the dock to what it looked like when I turned on the computer for the first time.

Actually, I accidentally deleted the Mac OS X link next to the trash bin and I want to get it back.

If someone could tell me how to put it back or reset the dock to factory settings without reinstalling Mac OS X, I'd be very happy.

Please post.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dock Trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dock Trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found better replacement to link

In reply to: Dock Trouble

I still would like someone to assist me in finding my lost Mac OS X icon/link in the dock (the one that opens Safari and goes to the Mac webpage).

But I Googled the problem and found something better to take its place. I forgot what website it is, so it's not my idea, but it's a Tiger version of Stacks, an upcoming program in Leopard that allows you to see all your programs at once.

Just put the Applications folder next to the trash bin. When you click and hold on the folder, all your apps come up and you can click and chose without using the Finder. I think that most people know how to do this though.

Anyway, help for the dock would be appreciated.

-BeatleMegaFan

Collapse -
That link

In reply to: Found better replacement to link

which has long gone from my dock, is just a alias to www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

To get it back, go to that site and do the following:
Click and drag the Apple icon at the beginning of the URL line in Safari, just before the http:, down to the dock. It has to go on the right hand side of that line on the RH side of the dock. Drag it there and the wonderful icon will reappear.

How's that?

P

Collapse -
Weird

In reply to: That link

Thanks.

I actually tried that earlier, but it didn't show up in my dock as the icon. It should up as just a link.

I don't know why it does that. My computer does act strangely at times.

I don't even know why I want it there. I guess it makes the dock look more "Apple-like".

You should try the "Tiger Stacks" trick. It works just like Stacks in Leopard, but not with the fancy squares for windows and apps.

-BeatleMegaFan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.