Question

.doc to .pdf

Aug 29, 2011 9:16AM PDT

How do I convert a Microsoft.doc file to a pdf file?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: .doc to .pdf
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: .doc to .pdf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Use an app.
Aug 29, 2011 9:28AM PDT

I use CutePDF.

- Collapse -
Or, if you are using a Mac,
Aug 29, 2011 9:44AM PDT

choose Print to PDF from the Print dialog box.

- Collapse -
PS. Someone noted DoPDF
Sep 16, 2011 2:58AM PDT

It's nice too!

- Collapse -
Answer
how to convert a Microsoft.doc file to a pdf file
Aug 29, 2011 3:10PM PDT

This should work - download and install the free Office Suite at OpenOffice.org. Right click your .doc to open it in .odt (open document text). Your original .doc will not change. A copy will open in the OpenOffice Writer .odt format. Move your cursor to the toolbar and click the "pdf icon". You can keep the original name or change it, and save the .pdf wherever you want like any document. You can also save the .odt copy.

I setup OpenOffice to always open MS Office, and it always does. OpenOffice bells and whistles are clickable from one toolbar. Hover over a special insert, like an image or cell border, and a specific mini-toolbar pops up for editing. Keeps your place and saves time. I figured out so many things without using a guide or Microsoft Office training.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: .doc to .pdf
Aug 29, 2011 4:54PM PDT

Or use Office 2010. It's built in.

Kees

- Collapse -
Hope you mean
Aug 29, 2011 10:01PM PDT

that the pdf function is built-in and not that Office 2010 is built in.
Devil

- Collapse -
Oops. Yes, that's what I meant.
Aug 29, 2011 10:08PM PDT

Making a pdf is built into Office 2010.

First time I looked at it made a 100kB pdf-document for a text of just one line, for which Cutepdf needed only 15 kB. Because it was meant for a website, this was the last time I looked into it also.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
I use PDF Creator
Sep 16, 2011 12:03PM PDT
- Collapse -
Answer
Open it in word
Sep 16, 2011 12:11PM PDT

No matter what version of word you use, when you click on "Print" ans select a printer from the available list there will be at least one listed as PDF. If you have any PDF products on board, they will be listed eg. Cute PDF, Foxit or, my favourite, Bullzip, they will all be listed. Just pick one.
If you don't like that there are numerous free "On Line" programs avilable on the web. Just google "convert word to PDF free"

- Collapse -
Answer
.doc to .pdf
Sep 16, 2011 11:37PM PDT

I downloaded PrimoPDF from cnet. It's a print driver that adds a printer to your system. When you have any file you wish to save as a PDF file, click print. then choose a printer. There are a list of printers including PrimoPDF. Choose PrimoPDF. After a short time a box will pop up to create the pdf. Look at the box that has the location where the pdf will be created. I have mine set to my desk top so I don't loose it. Click create and you're done.

- Collapse -
Answer
PDFCreator here, too
Sep 22, 2011 6:01AM PDT

I also use PDFCreator, which is free. Like most of the others, it installs as a virtual printer. You do the conversion from any application by simply selecting "PDFCreator" as your printer.

I am curious, though. At the risk of going slightly off topic, can anyone recommend a good free program to edit already-existing PDF files?

CNET Forums

Forum Info