Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

doc. & outlook happenings

by zoodemon / February 1, 2006 7:12 PM PST

Hi, i'm using win xp pro and outlook, zonelabs firewall. I'm also using a broadband router. I also use anti virus and ad aware regularly.

Been having some weird things going on with some rather important documents eg, large bits deleted, short letters turned into 500 page documents all with weird unreadable jumbled characters. Obviously this is a huge problem, and i am suspicious about it as it's the documents that are potentially important.

Also in outlook it keeps telling me i have one more unread e-mail message than i actually have.

Firstly i'm wondering if the outlook thing is a virus of some sort. As for the document tampering if that's the right word, i'm worried i've been hacked.
It's a stand alone machine also. Anyone else had problems like this? Any ideas what i can do other than just back up and stay the hell offline???
cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: doc. & outlook happenings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: doc. & outlook happenings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
zoodemon.. as a quick suggestion..
by Carol~ Moderator / February 1, 2006 11:08 PM PST

Had I the time at the moment, I might do some further ''investigation'' for you. Having said that, off the top of my head...

You said, ''Also in outlook it keeps telling me i have one more unread e-mail message than i actually have.''

I use Outlook Express, so I can't be sure of Outlook, but... when I "block an address", it will go directly into the ''Deleted Folder'', where you won't see it in your ''Inbox''. Additionally, it will show up as an unread email. (If this is your situation, look in your Deleted Folder, you should see it there, as unread.) Could this be your problem with ''one more unread e-mail''?

Just a quick thought...
Carol

Collapse -
that's quite possible
by zoodemon / February 2, 2006 6:03 AM PST

if i close and reboot outlook it has gone and obviously then the deleted folder has been emptied.
Good spot mate :0)

Now for the document problem? lol
cheers

Collapse -
The document problem...
by Carol~ Moderator / February 2, 2006 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: that's quite possible

backup.. backup and maybe.. backup! LOL

Wish I could help you out mate.. you ''bled me dry'' on your first problem! Happy

Did you try what Bob suggested? Housecall or Ewido. I have Ewido and think it's excellent!

The below information copied from the ''one and only'' Marianna Schumdlach'':

Please download ewido security suite it is a trial version of the program.
Install ewido security suite
Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
The program will prompt you to update click the OK button
The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
On the left hand side of the main screen click update
Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the updates are installed do the following:
Click on scanner
Make sure the following boxes are checked before scanning:
Binder
Crypter
Archives
Click on Start Scan
Let the program scan the machine
While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK

That should keep you busy for a while, unless you've already done it.;)

Perhaps someone else has some ideas?

Good luck to you..and.. cheers!
Carol

Collapse -
A few scans I would try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 11:15 PM PST

Afer you are sure your backups are good and current (yet again.) I would scan the machine with HOUSECALL and EWIDO.

You listed a firewall but no antivirus or spyware protection. The above scans (which are free) should help to find any pests.

Bob

Collapse -
Wondering
by Fish / February 2, 2006 7:38 AM PST

could it be that you were hit early with the Blackworm virus due to wreak havoc tomorrow?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Duplicate thread,also in microsoft office forum
by tomron / February 2, 2006 12:20 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Tom..
by Carol~ Moderator / February 2, 2006 12:49 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome
by tomron / February 2, 2006 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Tom..
Collapse -
ok soz re-duplicate
by zoodemon / February 2, 2006 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Your welcome

wasn't sure where best to pitch it.

OK i've installed ewido, nothing exciting showed up.
I think the extra mail could well have been to do with my filters, after 7 years with tiscali, the spammers have finally found my main addy Doh!

Something else that happens regularly, is my pc multi bleeps on start up, and the date has reset to i think 12th december 2002. Been doing that for a while.

Nobody has suggested anything about the doc problem so i'll just put it down to experience and back up all my docs off machine.
cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.