The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you use Facebook on your mobile devices?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 30, 2012 10:16 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you use Facebook on your mobile devices?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you use Facebook on your mobile devices?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Hope Facebook Dies
by triplet grandmom / May 30, 2012 12:03 PM PDT

I don't have a mobile device and I don't want one. I am on Facebook, partly due to my work (social media marketing firm) and to keep up with my kids and grandkids.

I don't like Facebook but it is the only game in town and sooo important for businesses who need to do social media marketing! I wish there was an alternative.

I believe that everyone will eventually get sick of Facebook and it will die.

Collapse -
So proud to be...Facebook-free!
by sbill / May 30, 2012 12:23 PM PDT

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to have a small number of REAL friends who I actually see and talk to, rather than a bunch of Facebook "friends" who wouldn't recognize me if I was standing in front of them. I also don't see the point of having a "news feed" and updating my "status" every 15 minutes or whatever. (Do people actually sit by their computer suspensefully waiting for their "friends" to update their "status" on FB?) Nor do I see the point of wasting may valuable time playing stupid games with dumbed-down graphics, which apparently require you to send unsolicited "item requests" to your friends, or else put in a credit card and PAY for in-game items. (Yeah, imagine that, people spending REAL money for VIRTUAL junk!)

And of course, the single biggest reason why I DON'T have Facebook--I value my privacy, and don't want my personal information out there on the 'net for companies and government agencies to tap into.

Collapse -
I agree...
by lucid oldie / May 30, 2012 1:25 PM PDT

I guess I'm one of the 41% that don't "like" Facebook. I just hope people don't lose their money over the "Facebook" float.

Collapse -
losing money on the float
by Brian briantllb / May 30, 2012 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree...

Too late they have already lost money.

I have a Facebook account but I don't like it at all there are a few people on there I communicate with infrequently but I prefer email or the telephone. I also use Adblock Plus so the advertisers are getting no value from my usage because I simply do not see their advertisements.

Collapse -
I prefer the Web site on my computer.
by John_Locke77 / May 30, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

Well, I don't have the ability to view Facebook on a mobile device, because my only mobile device is a basic cell phone. (I can only use it to make phone calls, send text messages, and use the calendar, alarm, & 3 games that came on it.)

But, I've seen screenshots of Facebook on other people's cell phones. Based on what I've seen, I still prefer the Web site on my computer.

Collapse -
Do I use face book on my mobile?
by Brian briantllb / May 30, 2012 1:27 PM PDT

No I don't my mobile device is a phone.

Collapse -
Facebook is Evil--and it must die
by SoJoyful / May 30, 2012 1:40 PM PDT

I cancelled my account on Facebook in 2009 and good riddens! I would not use Facebook, no matter what. Facebook should die and it can kick-rocks! The only problem here is that as soon as its head is cut off--another more sinister one will grow in its place. I actually hate Facebook and I encourage my family and friends not to engage it! Almost everyone I know is cancelling their Facebook accounts.

Collapse -
Facebook has been a valuable part of my life
by msecour / May 30, 2012 2:02 PM PDT

I will use my smartphone on occasion to upload a picture to Facebook but I much prefer the computer when I am interacting with friends.

Already on this thread there are examples of some misconceptions about Facebook. Addressing some misconceptions (from an earlier post), you do not have to post status updates any more than you feel like it. You do not have to play games. You do not have to become 'friends' with people who aren't really friends. You do not have to sit in front of a computer all day watching timeline. You can control how much of your own information is available to the outside world.

I can understand some people not wanting to bother with Facebook. My wife doesn't. But with a music career spanning 5 decades I have acquired a lot of friends from around the country. Facebook has enabled me to keep in touch with these friends in a unique way. Facebook groups make it possible to interact with colleagues in my profession. A recent group I joined grew to over 500 members in less than a month and we have had some very valuable discussions through this group. Facebook is a tool which you can use as you see fit. If it goes under it will be missed.

Collapse -
facebook survey
by chanitasambista / May 30, 2012 2:07 PM PDT

when people talk about mobile networking taking over, they should remember there are still those of us curmudgeonly souls who have basic cell phones and want nothing more, no aps, fancy cameras, or virtual toothbrush that does it for you.

i'm on facebook almost solely to be able to share family pictures -- there are some new babies and toddlers, and it's hard to share the pics with everyone, even using computerized albums. as soon as i find a better way, facebook, goodbye.

Collapse -
One question missing !!!
by joanmw / May 30, 2012 2:35 PM PDT

What about those of us who do not own a tablet?

Collapse -
Facebook is just a tool!!
by AmeedEl-Ghoul / May 30, 2012 2:39 PM PDT

Over the last 2 decades of my life, I lived in 3 countries, in 3 different continents, Facebook helps me keep in touch with my friends and family all over the world, meet new people that share the same interests and hobbies.

I started a small side Photography business few years ago, Facebook is one of the most important tools in marketing that I use, with a small Fan Page, I upload my new pictures, advertise for my self, publish promotions, and redirect traffic to my main website. I got to meet allot of photographers, models, makeup artists via Facebook, I am booking a seminar due in 2 weeks via Facebook. Also I follow allot of writers work through their Facebook pages.

Facebook is a tool, if you used it right, you benefit from it, If you have no use for it, then too bad.

My main use for my smart phone beside using it as a phone, is Emails, as I have 2 work email accounts and one personal setup on it, then Reading, I read allot on my smart Phone, since I got my IPhone 2 years ago, I am close to finishing 50 books, I don't have to carry my books with me any more, they are in my IPhone, if I am in a bus, metro, train, waiting in a clinic, or before I sleep, I always read. Again, Smart phone is a tool, you can use it in a productive way, or just waste your time, or not use at all, it would depends totally on you.

To give an Example, a Client contacted me through my Facebook fan page asking for baby portrait session information, I got notified immediately through my Facebook Messenger APP, I answered back, Emailed offer, offer accepted, booked an appointment, added the appointment to my phone calendar, all that done in 2 hours using my smart phone and Facebook applications.

I am not trying to say that I am a top of the line photographers that people are dying to be photographed by, what I am saying is .. It is only a tool

Collapse -
I, too, use it as a tool.
by DarKiska / May 30, 2012 4:53 PM PDT

I do (volunteer) political work online and use Facebook mostly as a tool to get links out to be passed on. I do check on the younger family members, too, from time to time. Although, I want to get a tablet, right now my only mobile device is my smartphone (which is faster than my computer). I do major FB things using the computer, but I have FB set to send me an email when I get a response to a post, and then I have my phone set to notify me when an email comes in. I like to respond quickly, so this works for me. I don't like the FB app so much, but I work with what is there.

As far as privacy goes... I have none. As soon as I registered for various political things, everything about me was on the internet.

Collapse -
No option
by mwooge / May 30, 2012 3:00 PM PDT

Why didn''t you have an option for "I don't have a mobile device"?

Collapse -
No, I prefer the Web site on my computer.
by netsiu / May 30, 2012 3:07 PM PDT

Problem is, I don't socialize.

I have a facebook account that was started to see if it was safe for my wife to use. It has grown with socializing friends and old aquaintences found and I actually get on to check once mabe twice a week.
When I get on I am usually off in 10 - 15 min.

my page has the barest of info about me and familey as possible.

Collapse -
The Hype don't make it so..!!
by drykert / May 30, 2012 9:29 PM PDT

Just because some have been brainwashed into beleiving facebook is valuable and needed just realize how quickly that joke would die if the grid has issues from overload or we have a sever solar flare that knocks many of oour electronics for a loop. To create a dsyfunctional society that feels the need to text while driving and walking shows how desperate some are to have their egoes stroked. I agree that it will die for many reasons.

Collapse -
Facebook changes have forced me to use mobile devices
by mrjeremy88 / May 30, 2012 10:07 PM PDT

I wanna call Mark Zuckerberg and say "Keep it simple stupid" every time I log in and see how the website has turned into a complete mess over the last few years. The mobile version makes the experience a lot more simple/clean (think Facebook 2008). I honestly don't mind ads, it's just that ever since they tried to incorporate Facebook into EVERYTHING on the web....I've had to use the mobile version to scale it back a bit.

Collapse -
by Recycleman53 / May 31, 2012 12:13 AM PDT

I have been using facebook for a number of years now. It is a tool. I use it for ministry work and online sales via local swap shop groups. It sure beats the heck out of craigslist for local sales.
I do not mind the ads, I have learned to ignore most of them and actually found a few that I can relate to.
I also noticed that many folks who use their mobiles are VERY limited as to what they can or can not do on FB. So, for me, I ignore the ads that do not relate to me and am grateful this tool is here to use and I never use mobile on it, period.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?