HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Do you think the t6524 emachines a good buy?

by dominican4114 / November 22, 2005 9:00 AM PST

I was reading this from CNet and i like the specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_T6524/4505-3118_7-31556305.html

But I saw a few posts about the 300watt supply isnt enough? Is this really no enough if i am not planning on upgrading it anytime soon? Could I easly put a ATI 700 pro graphics card in there and also 4gb of RAM and still run it well with the 300watt supply?

I also read that the motherboard is kind of old. Is this true?

Would I be able to run Vista with this as long as I updrade the graphics card and the RAM if needed?

Any bad news about this system?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you think the t6524 emachines a good buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you think the t6524 emachines a good buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: emachines t6524
by nerdyboy1234 / November 22, 2005 10:36 AM PST

300 watt psu is not enough for gfx card upgrade and ram upgrade.

wouldnt recommend upgrading to the x700 anyways. would suggest upgrading to the 7800gs or better in the future.

also the mobo is not old. unless u consider maybe a year or less to be old.

and about the vista question. ya but it just wont be as good.

that is just like someone with a win. 98 machine then asking whether to upgrade to win. xp. of course it can run but not as good as a pc that is designed specifically for vista.

Collapse -
System is fine
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 22, 2005 10:50 AM PST

This system is an excellent buy for those who need great tech on the cheap. Saw the video, and the motherboard is new. Has a socket 939 good for future a future CPU, and a x16 pcie slot, which allows you to upgrade to a future graphics card. With the addition of 4gb of RAM, it should be able to handle Vista like nothing. Of course the 300 watt PSU is nothing so you will have to upgrade to a 500 watt PSU or better. All in all this system is a great buy.

Collapse -
ok, so i am good for now
by dominican4114 / November 22, 2005 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: System is fine

Since for the moment i will not be using it for demanding things i think i am ok with this PC.

I was wondering if this PC, right after i buy it, be able to play the Sims 2? i have this game on a 3.0 P4 with hyperthreading and 256mb of RAM and it is just to slow to play comfortable. But with this system, will i be able to run it smoothly?

Collapse -
sims2
by yorba / November 23, 2005 6:23 AM PST

Will run just fine on this system as it is from the factory. To upgrade the video card to a PCI-e card, you may, or may not need a more powerful psu. For PCI-e, ATI recommends a minimum of 350 watts. I put a 400 watt psu in my 6524 to go with the ATI X800XL card I upgraded to. Upgrading the psu is a 5 minute job, very easy to do even for a novice. The system takes a standard atx power supply.

Collapse -
Simms 2 will run fine and beyond
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 23, 2005 6:39 AM PST

Since you won't use your system for demanding tasks yet, you can run Sims 2 on it. But you also have the good feeling that you can upgrade in the future to a better processor (socket 939) and a better graphics card. Just get a more power puwer suppply unit and you will be fine.

Collapse -
Socket 939 being phased out.
by damasta55r / November 23, 2005 1:39 PM PST

Probably some more dual-cores 5000+, 5200+, and fx-60 and that's it. bye bye to socket 939.

Collapse -
Why though?
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 23, 2005 2:22 PM PST

So the 939 is getting ditched, so I should get a new motherboard now or later? Also lmao I don' think it will be the fx-60 but the fx-59.

Collapse -
RE: Sorry, samples of the 5000, 5200, and fx60 socket m2
by damasta55r / November 24, 2005 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Why though?

have been tested already.

Collapse -
ram
by ddbpack / November 23, 2005 2:21 PM PST

you need more ram! 256 is not enough! i run 1024 and it handles anything! also what card of video card do u have?

Collapse -
Nothing to demanding
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 23, 2005 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: ram

Dominican doesn't want to run anything to intensive, so the Sims 2 should work fine on this emachines system. I would say get 512 of memory to make this system work better since you don't need bleeding edge performance.

Collapse -
The emachines already has 1024 RAM
by dominican4114 / November 24, 2005 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing to demanding

I only need RAM on my now Dell PC. It only has 256 RAM. I am just trying to find out if the Emachines would run it.

Collapse -
Dell RAM
by yorba / November 24, 2005 11:02 AM PST

If the Dell system you have uses DDR PC3200 RAM, then you could possibly use it in the new eMachines. If it uses something other, which is more likely the case, then No. DDR is not the same as PC100 or PC133 RAM. They are not mix and match. DDR is not that expensive either. You can easily pick up two 512 Mb modules to add 1 Gigabyte for under $100, or two 1 Gb modules to add 2 Gb for a total of 3 Gb with the factory installed 1 Gb for under $200.

Collapse -
RAM
by yorba / November 23, 2005 3:21 PM PST

Ummm, perhaps you weren't aware or did not check the specs of this system? It comes with 1 GB of RAM, that's 1024Mb. Now 128Mb of that is shared with the onboard 3D video chipset, leaving a still respectable 896Mb of system memory. Still enough to handle most tasks and even games reasonably well. Sims2 is no hassle to this system even as it comes from the factory.

Collapse -
Didn't check out specs
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 24, 2005 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

Wow this is an emachines to get. With a serious graphics card, and a better processor this can a pretty serious gaming machine.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hmm this has a fine processor already....
by nerdyboy1234 / November 24, 2005 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Didn't check out specs
Collapse -
It is an ok processor........
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 24, 2005 2:41 AM PST

but for some serious gaming on this emachines, you would need something like an Fx or an X2.

Collapse -
thats only for a hard core gamer
by nerdyboy1234 / November 24, 2005 7:17 AM PST

and i have never heard of anyone sticking a dual core processor or an fx into an emachines. i dont think u can even install the x2 unless there is a bios flash posted somewhere on the net.

Collapse -
Yea I know i need RAM
by dominican4114 / November 24, 2005 3:59 AM PST

I knew that the RAM was slow but I just wanted to have a comparison. I got the low-end FX5200 APG graphics card. I know its not that good either

Collapse -
In my limited experience
by groceryheist / November 24, 2005 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Yea I know i need RAM

Emachines aren't as good as they sound. I've worked on 2 people's emachines and they were both...odd. The one tried to upgrade the video card, with a pci card instead of the agp 4x it came with. the bios wouldn't ever see the card, neither would windows. but the card worked fine in my system...

The specs look fine, if all you wantta do is play sims 2 then go right ahead, you won't need to upgrade, vista will prolly go fine too, but if you wanta get into real games like doom3 or call of duty 2 then you might wanna get a Dell or an Hp... or build your own! most educational thing you can do.

Collapse -
Call of Duty2
by yorba / November 24, 2005 10:56 AM PST

Umm .. sorry, hate to tell you this .. but ... Call of Duty 2 runs fantastically on my eMachines T6524. You're right of course ... a PCI video card wouldn't do much good on an AGP system. AGP is a form of PCI bus designed for higher speed video. An AGP 4X motherboard would not recognize an 8x card either. PCI-e is twice as fast as AGP 8x. Of course Windows would not see what the system's BIOS does not support. PCI-e works like a charm in the eMachines T6524 which has a motherboard and BIOS that supports PCI-e. Odd? eMachines used to be extremely proprietary years ago. Just as HP which you suggest. HP is the only OEM that has a boot strap program that checks memory modules for a special chip that just says it's HP memory. HP does NOT make memory, they just license a memory company to put the special chip on the modules labeled as HP. Talk about proprietary ... which I believe is what you mean by "odd".

As for Dell, they have the absolute worst customer support now, all off-shore ... meaning India. Good luck getting help from them. Dell, used to be fantastic, my Dimension 4100 866 MHz still runs just fine 5 years later. It's just too slow to handle high speed DSL. Oh, eMachines' support, by the way, is in northern California. They speak English there. Yes, Vista should run just fine on the new eMachines systems. Of course though, no one knows what Vista will require yet. But the T6524 exceeds the advance release specs for Vista.

I might add that I did NOT like my mother-in-law's eMachines system from 5 years ago. The seal that voided warranty if broken when you opened the case was ridiculous. Now, eMachines gives full instructions for opening the case, and their tech support will assist you if needed ... at no charge other than the possible toll phone call. The new ones though are great. Oh yeah ... and they also use the same motherboard and CPU that HP / Compaq uses in their new systems.

Collapse -
You need more RAM for the SIms 2
by nathanpsz2 / December 12, 2005 7:30 AM PST

To run the Sims 2 properly, you should have at least 512 MB of RAM. Does your computer have integrated graphics?? If it does, then you should buy a seperate video card. Integrated graphics borrows system memory (RAM) do to the graphics work. You don't want this.

Collapse -
Yes!
by dittomax / December 11, 2005 7:28 PM PST

I used to build my own custom work horse systems. I can't buy the parts and build the tower for what this machine sells for. I just purchased one of these on November 4th, I upgraded the ram to 2 gig for Photoshop, swapped the power supply to an Antec. Did I tell you I was an Intel or Nuttin person till I tried this AMD based machine? So far no complaints other than the pre loaded software....too much stuff. This is a great buy and from what I have researched, EMachines have turned a corner and are producing better quality than in the past. I like the fact you buy the tower without a monitor.
So far so good.
dittomax
only know enough about all this to be dangerous

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds good, but can u add a TV tuner?
by jjwoolf / December 12, 2005 10:56 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes you can with the emachines.
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / December 12, 2005 11:23 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.