HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Do you remember ...........

by Mac McMullen / November 22, 2005 7:19 AM PST

Do you remember????.

Are you ?mature? enough to remember November 22, 1963 ?

Do you remember your first thoughts when you first heard that President Kennedy had been shot and killed in Dallas ?

I can. It was about 0830 hours (8:30 AM). I was yet in the service and on duty in CINCPAC Headquarters in Honolulu. We were ?picking up? from a meeting that had gone late into the night the day before. In attendance at that meeting were the Secretary of State; the Secretary of Defense; the head of the CIA, and more 4 and 3 star generals/admirals, and under-secretaries, than I can recall at the moment.

There was no excitement at the announcement. Just quiet determination. All US Military assets in the Pacific Theater were put on high alert. The Secretary of State was yet on the ground in Hawaii preparing to return to Washington DC. The Secretary of Defense, and others, were about 30 minutes out of Honolulu, bound for Vietnam, and turned around and headed for Washington DC. Military commanders and others, yet in Honolulu, departed for their respective headquarters without delay.

By Noon, things were back to their normal quiet buzz throughout the building.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you remember ...........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you remember ...........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not quite as mature as you ...
by Bill Osler / November 22, 2005 7:31 AM PST

I was sitting in an elementary school classroom in Spokane, WA.

I remember watching the funeral on TV, but I don't remember many of the details.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i was in jr in elizabeth nj
by Mark5019 / November 22, 2005 7:32 AM PST
Collapse -
I was but a HS Junior
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2005 7:36 AM PST

There was an announcement on the loudspeaker but I've forgotten how we were told. The busses were dispatched to pick us all up early. In a solemn an numb fashion we filed out of the school and onto the busses to go home. Not much was said. I remember watching on TV and the hearing the funeral march during the long procession. The tune buried itself within my head and played on long after the military bands had put their instruments down.

Collapse -
I was a SR in high school and
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 7:48 AM PST

ironically was in USGovernment class at the time. When the announcement came on, also announcing that school was letting out early, more than half the class and the teacher started laughing and applauding because we believed for a few minutes that it was one of the student aides playing a prank on the PA system and we were talking about how her a$$ was in some serious deep trouble over it.

TONI

Collapse -
I had been at work all morning
by Glenda / November 22, 2005 8:14 AM PST

And didn't hear about it until it came on the news, Just before my date with Jim. We had been engaged about month at the time. I remember crying and just not believing it had happened!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wasn't born yet
by duckman / November 22, 2005 8:01 AM PST
Collapse -
I was in college
by Diana Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:51 AM PST

There was some talk just as we were going into a biology lecture about Connelly getting killed and Kennedy being shot. During the lecture a man went up to the professor and whispered something to him. He then announced that the President had been killed and there would be no more classes for the rest of the day. Actually all classes were cancelled for the week.

Diana

Collapse -
Of course, I was in Grade 11, they connected the school
by Ziks511 / November 22, 2005 4:57 PM PST

PA to the radio and we followed the news as it spiralled down. It was around 1:00 to 2:00 PM EST. I can't say I thought my world had ended, I remember thinking that during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but it felt to me like someone had cut the heart out of the world. Call it loss of innocence if you will but it all seemed downhill from there, more assassinations, riots in the cities, and Tricky **** in the White House.

I have always wondered if that was the point at which the momentum of the Roosevelt legacy died, to be replaced first by "You can't get there from here" and later "It's wrong to even want to get there from here".

I was reading in a Canadian liberal publication, This Magazine, that from 1991 to 2001 the Canadian per capita real economic growth equalled nearly 25% adjusted for inflation. Hourly employees over the same period saw their wages rise by 1.4% and services from the government declined modestly, which more than eroded that 1.4% because now we had to pay for services that were formerly done by the government. One of the big losers during that period? The Canadian Military, as Conservative Brian Mulroney undercut them year after year. Not addressed in the article was the move from full-time to part-time employment.

So where did the 25% go, well there are more millionaires in Canada, and the top tax bracket has been steadily reduced, as have taxes on corporations. The rest of us are just treading water.

Rob

Collapse -
I was also in the USAF
by John Robie / November 23, 2005 12:47 AM PST

on military leave. We had been hunting and killed a couple deer days before. I rented a giant meat grinder, and was making sausage in the back additional den of my mothers house. My mother came into the room and told me that Walter Cronkite was on the TV and said the President had been shot. She had only one (console) TV in the house which was in the Living Room. Rushing through a couple rooms to see the TV was a off/on thing while trying to make the sausage. When it was announced the President was dead, I figured a call would come in for me to report for duty. It didn't. Everything just about everywhere in the US came to a virtual standstill as demonstrated by the TV reports coming in. We glued to the TV for a week, TV's cancelled all commercials, and was running 24hrs...something unheard of... then Oswald was shot...

What is still greatly impressed in my mind is the 'death march drum roll' that played constantly with the horse drawn caissons for hours during the march to the Capitol Tundra and then to Arlington National.
Little John John's salute will always stand out and remembered all through his life growing up. His death was also a tragedy to us.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.