Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Do you prepare for winter?

by Willy / October 4, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

What, if anything do you do to prepare for winter. Here's what I do or have done.

1) insulate windows&pipes
2) buy more food
3) rotate tires or buy new
4) winterize car, truck, tractor, boat
5) store small engines with Stahl
6) get extra anti-freeze
7) store extra kersene&gas
Cool stock woodpile
9) stock cold medicine
10) buy new socks and slippers(my favorite)

I use to buy bird feed but squirrels and raccoons soon discover it and you know what happens. I have a few critters here as I live next to the woods, so I let nature be natural, I don't provide. I try to plug every hole I have in the house, but gee those field mice are too clever for me. Sad just rambling -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you prepare for winter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you prepare for winter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bird seed
by Steven Haninger / October 4, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

We store ours outdoors below an overhang in a galvanized steel garbage can and put a couple bricks on it as well. Critters seem to know what's in the can but so far haven't gotten in. If they ever learn about teamwork, we may have to change our storage plan. I did have one time when the lit was left off for a bit and a mouse got in. I found it dead a week or so later. Belly full of seed no doubt, but nary a drop of moisture to be had. Happy

Collapse -
Another good container....
by Angeline Booher / October 5, 2006 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Bird seed

... is a "lard can", which can be bought at a hardware store.

The lid on those fits very tightly.

Haven't had one removed in over 30 years.

Those cans aren't so big that they won't fit in a garage or outbuilding without taking up much space.

Or, for those so inclined, they can be painted and decorated for keeping on the porch. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: they can be painted and decorated
by MarciaB / October 5, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

I'm pretty sure that Toni's container won't be green.

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / October 5, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Too soon!
by EdH / October 5, 2006 12:56 AM PDT

Got the furnace serviced and cleaned. Septic tank pumped out. Need to get snow tires on two cars, take care
of lawn mower engine, etc.

Lots more to do.

Collapse -
Ohh!!!! the septic tank
by Willy / October 5, 2006 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Too soon!

I'm having the tank guy come over tomorrow(fri.). It needs to be pumped out. Nothing worse than having to deal with some plumbing problem during winter. I also found out I'm too big to crawl intro the crawl space now, dang hamburgers(lots of them). -----Willy

Collapse -
Sure do!
by Angeline Booher / October 5, 2006 1:26 AM PDT

Along with some of the ones you listed that apply to my situation, I have some more.

I stock up on distilled water and white vinegar for my CPAP machine, and put them in the furnace room, where they will not freeze. (Kept in garage in the warm months.)

Be sure that I have enough heartworm preventative and flea preventative products for my dog for over the winter, in case snow/ice prevent a trip to the vet. (Yep- I gave 'em year-round as those critters can show up when the temp reaches over 50 degrees.)

Be sure the downspouts are clear.

Have a good ice-melter product on hand. Newer ones are safe for grass and pets.

Try to keep the steps swept of snow.

Get my flu shot!!!! (Have an apointment.)

Hve some food that doesn't have to be cooked in case of a power failure.

Try to avoid scheduling doctor appointments from Ded-Feb.

A hair dryer is the safest way to thaw pipes. But ours run in a manner that freezing is highly unlikely.

Have already had the yearly maintenance on the furnace. A supply of filters is on hand.

It soon will be time to put up the yard umbrellas.

The bird feeders will be staocked. Peanut butter, apples, and orange halves for the ground feeders. like robins (some stay around here). Squirrels like dog biscuits and leftoever unshelled nuts from the previous Christmas. Happy Keep water available.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Not much really specific to winter.
by Evie / October 5, 2006 1:39 AM PDT

We STILL have plenty of ice melt my hubby bought for pennies on the dollar one warm winter when the Home Depot was practically giving the stuff away. Even if we didn't have that, we would probably be waiting a while before stocking up more.

Other than that, we're prepared for power outages year round, and though I don't stock up specifically, there's always enough in this house that nobody will starve if we get snowed in.

Did just get the oil tank topped off and scheduled a furnace cleaning. Also did clean up scouring the storm-ridden areas this summer so have MORE than enough firewood.

Collapse -
Ever see "Never Cry Wolf?"
by duckman / October 5, 2006 1:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ha ha Heh heh
by Mac McMullen / October 5, 2006 2:57 AM PDT

Not too much "these days".

I was living in the suburbs of Chicago (and KNEW what winter is all about) when I decided to "fully" retire. Knew the geographical area I wanted to retire to, and took a three week trip and found a house. It sat vacant for a year while I wrapped up things; said good byes, and gave away the snow blower.

Now, to prepare for winter, I restock the fireplace wood pile no later than mid-summer. Early November I "winterize" the Swamp Cooler (Evaporative Air Cooler) and light off the pilot in the forced air furnace. Bring out the long sleeved shirts and put away the short sleeved ones. That's about it.

The bird bath in the yard will get a partial light film of ice about twice throughtout the winter. Might see snow "in the air" a couple of times. Temps in the upper 30's at night and upper 50's days, at coldest. Clear sky and bright sun most days.

This at the 4500 ft elevation. Mountains all around will get snow from the 5000 level. The 12.000 peak will have snow all winter. I just step outside, take in the view, and continue to believe I made a good decision.

I never poke fun at those who must endure "winter".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?