The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you notice how many older people are now using Facebook

by mjbb81 / January 1, 2009 6:41 AM PST

I started using Facebook because I was a high school technology teacher and a College & Career leader. I wanted to keep up with the interests of high school and college students.

I then started a family group and befriended my kids and nieces and nephews. At first they could not believe that I was on Facebook. Now they are OK with it. Almost all of my siblings joined (I could not get one of my brothers to join). I even got my dad to join (he is 78).

Now regularly, I see more and more older people on Facebook. It is a great way to find old time friends.

Do you all see that older people are joining Facebook more and more? Do you high school and college people like the older people on facebook or not?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you notice how many older people are now using Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you notice how many older people are now using Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure
by surfpark / January 1, 2009 5:59 PM PST

Its not just older people, its all people. Facebook's join rate has been on the up-swing for a while. Considering that it used to be only college students for years, I think the highest growth demographics will either be 30+ or tweens.

Collapse -
On Behalf of Us Old Folks
by PressAnyKey / January 1, 2009 10:19 PM PST

Sorry if we're screwing up your Facebook sonny boy. Seems us old folks like to network also.

Don't worry though since we are old I'm sure we will forget we have accounts and wander away in search of a senior citizens discount at the local diner...

Collapse -
It's all about the connections
by cprincipe / January 1, 2009 11:06 PM PST

I think Facebook does connections really well - not only can you look up someone, but when you can see the friends of your friends you say "Oh I remember him!" and add them as well. There are plenty of other social sites out there but Facebook seems to just work a tiny bit more intuitively than the other social media sites.

Collapse -
Who you calling Old there, sonnnyboy?
by Francis_Burdett / January 3, 2009 11:32 AM PST
Happy

But seriously, given that I work for a University, I joined Facebook several years ago.

So my hundreds of "friends" were almost all students

Thus all my "oh so clever" status updates that were in reality rockin' 80's lyrics went unloved.

In the last six months I have definitely seen an uptake in the number of my adult friends joining facebook.
Collapse -
It is a great place to connect
by mattlp / January 3, 2009 10:26 PM PST

I originally joined to keep track of my teen age son & daughter. It was rather funny -- my son said at the time it was rather "uncomfortable" to friend me. My daughter, on the other hand, has friended at least a couple of friend's parents. I've friended my best friend's high school son. So some young people don't seem to mind being "seen" with older people.

That was well over a year ago. In the last several months, I have connected with a couple of dozen high school and college friends from 25 - 30 years ago. Some of them had been on awhile but there weren't enough connections to find them. Helped that I didn't bother looking.

Even older people need to learn safety, though. I read a college friend's wall and found a posting from his high school daughter: "Woa, dad, you're posting a lot of information here". Happy

Collapse -
Actually,
by zeryck / January 5, 2009 1:30 PM PST

I'm 15 and I quite enjoy being friends with my grandparents on Facebook. It's kinda neat.

Collapse -
techsupport
by Balls_Maximus / January 8, 2009 12:52 AM PST

I'm about to start a facebook tech support network. It's a gold mine

Collapse -
Fogeys on Facebook!!
by MJM628 / January 22, 2009 11:01 AM PST

I have noticed this SO much lately its driving me crazy. I joined Facebook when i started college in 2005. Now that i am a little older (21) , out of college, and working full time i have noticed that there are a ton of older people on facebook. Pretty much everyone from my work is now my facebook friend...even my boss!!! It really makes me not want to get on there anymore because now i feel like i have to hide things from my co-workers. Some of them will come up to me talking about a picture i was tagged in or something that was posted on my wall...i just find it a little creepy. I get more & more annoyed every time i get a friend request from a 40+ person. Just kind of miss the days when facebook was only open to college students.

Collapse -
This has nothing to do with age
by minimalist / January 22, 2009 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: Fogeys on Facebook!!

and everything to do with a serious drawback of Facebook: the inability to group your "friends" into acquaintances, close friends, coworkers, family, etc and control each group can access.

Don't blame older people. Blame the inflexibility of Facebook. You may just have to be more brutal in who you accept as your friend.

And it would be wise to remember that what you post on Facebook can come back to haunt you even if your "friends" are all your age.

Collapse -
Actually I was mistaken
by minimalist / January 23, 2009 1:15 PM PST

You can set up lists under your friends tab and limit how much each list of friends can see of your Facebook profile.

Block out the old people all you like so they see nothing but your name and location. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that you should post indiscriminately amongst the 20 somethings.

Collapse -
Just de-friend people
by mjbb81 / January 23, 2009 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Fogeys on Facebook!!

You can de-friend people anytime. They do not have to notice. My niece canceled my and her mom's friendship, which did not bother either of us. I completely understand that she needed some privacy. Actually later she re-friended me.

Collapse -
The whole "older" thing is old hat
by Slikkster / January 23, 2009 11:10 PM PST

I think everything changed from the '60's on. I really don't think there's an "older" mentality like those of generations past, where there were stark delineations in mindsets. I just don't see it anymore.

I'm probably chronologically older than most everyone here --I'll be 54 this year. You wouldn't know it to see me (most people think 30's), you wouldn't know it by personality, you wouldn't know it by mannerisms, etc. etc., etc.

I do online gaming, I participate in forums such as this, I stay up on technology, and would put my skills (or skillz, lol) up against *almost* anyone here. No, that's not meant to be pretentious -although seeing words in print can certainly be construed in a manner inconsistent with the author's intent- that's just where I think I'm at.

A lot of younger people I know still think <i>some</i> of the great rock bands of the 60's/70's still rule over what's out there today. It's actually kind of funny.

Barack Obama is heralded as the torch bearer of a younger generation, but newsflash, folks: He's over 40. As a matter of fact, he's closer to 50. I don't see too many younger people suggesting he's "over the hill".

Age is defintely a mindset. You can be "old" when you're in your 20's, and "young" when you're in your 70's. It all depends on how you view life. But for all of you chronologically younger people b*tching about oldsters on facebook, here's a truism for you: you, too, are getting older. So, I'd be careful about making these protests. The day will come soon enough when <i>you</i> are the person younger people are complaining about.

Collapse -
Different type of people
by Benzodiazepine / January 25, 2009 2:43 PM PST

I have my Asian cousins, they have graduated already
and still using the accounts of Facebook even they're 25-30 or over.

It depends on what group of they socialize with,
their bosses are 50-60; all own accounts.

And what surprised me is they keep updating,
maybe not that often or joining every widget but they do keep updating.

I feel warm about this.
It's worse when i see young students post something
uninformative or any non-sense stuffs.

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy entertainments and humors.
But FaceBook isn't only you student anymore.
We get connected warmly even my relatives are thousand miles away.
That's important.

So I'm happy to see older people join Facebook,
it's even prove that they have their hobbies instead of being left behind
or staying alone in an empty house.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.