Cameras forum

General discussion

Do you know what Fujifilm has done in China?

by Eridechou / July 5, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

Please allow me to say "Hi" to all the members of CENT, thanks.

Recently, numbers of Chinese users of Fujifilm S205EXR, have found that there were snowflake in the photos that taken in the dark with long time exposure(1 or 30 senconds at random, ISO 100 or more). The snowflake can not be found in other brands' cameras!

China Center TV (CCTV) has broadcasted this problem, please see the following link: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/eQOT931uPx4/.

These users have also fed this phenomenon back to Fujifilm China Ltd., but got a ridiculous answer from its official website "http://www.fujifilm.com.cn/about/news/news_detail.php?ArticleID=2354"on 24th of June, saying that:

"This phenomenon is caused by high temperature, and it is a reasonable feature of CCD, named Hot Pixel! Furthermore, one of Fujifilm's engineers even gives such suggestion: the users should use a piece of cloth or a tool with stannum cover to prevent the sunshine when they take photos in the sun!!"

Friends, have you heared of this before? We suppose your answers must be "never". So more and more users in China become resentfully. One of the users suggests those people who use Fujifilm's cameras should carry a icebox to cool them down!

And now in Chinese most authoritative electronics forum Zhongguancun On Line, more than 200 users have written a letter to Fujifilm China Ltd. in joint names, asking for recall the cameras with snowflake. Please see the following link: http://dcbbs.zol.com.cn/69/752_683093.html.

After discussing in the forum, the users find that almost all Fujifilm cameras that adopt Super CCD, exist snowflake, no matter they are used in high temperature or indoors!

Me, a new owner of S205EXR, just purchased for one month, found the snowflake in the photos! I feel sad and lose faith in Fujifilm now, because of their ridiculous answer and response! They are fooling Chinese users now!

I swear to God, all my words above are true and stand the test!

Hopefully, what I said is useful to you all.

Thanks and best regards,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you know what Fujifilm has done in China?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you know what Fujifilm has done in China?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Snowflake problem
by hjfok / July 5, 2010 10:29 AM PDT

I cannot read the links you provide, but I believe you are referring to the digital noise seen in photos taken in the dark, especially at high ISO and long exposures.

These are not uncommon problems, often seen in cameras with small sensors, especially in superzooms and high MP cameras. In the dark, the camera usually uses high ISO to increase its light sensitivity, this will amplify the digital noise. Superzooms have additional problem of having less light reaching the sensor as you zoom out further, thus worsening the noise problem. Packing in more MP in a small sensor will decrease pixel size and also increase noise in low light.

Digital noise does come from the circuitry of the processors. The answer you get from Fujifilm is not unreasonable. The electronic circuit of the sensors have certain amount of electrical noise. In addition, the heat generated from the circuitry or in extreme ambient conditions can free electrons from the sensor circuits and "contaminate" the photoelectrons from your image. These free electrons and electrical noise got mixed with the photoelectrons of your image, and they both generate analog signals which are then converted into digital pixels by an Analog to Digital (A/D) Converter. Since the free electrons are not part of your image, they become "noise". When light is low, the signal is weaker and needs to be amplified, thus the noise get amplified with the image. Thses noise can appear as "snowflake" in your images.

Each manufacturer has its own way to deal with noise, so the noise will appear slightly different among different cameras. Larger sensors will have less noise. Lower MP usually means larger pixel size, and will also have less noise.

To minimize noise or snowflake, you can pick a camera with larger sensor, fewer MP. You should also use the lowest ISO setting, largest aperture, and do not zoom out. When there is not enough light, use flash or external lighting.

The noise problem is universal to all cameras, especially those with small sensors, high MP and have long zoom range. They are not unique to the Chinese Fujifilm cameras. You have to have some realistic expectations of what your camera can or cannot do.

Collapse -
I took a look at the video
by damasta55r / July 5, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

its not noise. it is hot pixels. Unfortunately, the quality of the ccd isn't very good. Nothing can be done but to avoid buying that model or asking for a refund.

Collapse -
Hot pixels
by hjfok / July 5, 2010 11:16 AM PDT

Ok. Admittedly I have not looked at the video, since I do not usually like to click on a foreign website that can potentially contain virus. I presume it is noise because noise is a lot more prevalent than actual hot pixels.

But if it is really hot pixels, then it will likely exist in all models of the same camera. Actually hot pixels exist in all cameras, some more than others. They are due to charge leakage and are seen more prominently in long exposures, high ISO and higher temperatures. They usually occur in the same spots on all the long exposure photos, whereas digital noise varies from shot to shot. Most cameras' hot pixels are not bothersome, and most have algorithm to reduce them by taking a duplicate exposure with the lens covered and then subtracted from the main exposure. This is usually the long delay after the long exposure shot is done before you seen the processed image on the screen.

You can use Photoshop to fix the remaining hot pixels. But if you do a lot of long exposures and cannot stand your camera's hot pixels, then you should look for another camera.

Collapse -
by Eridechou / July 5, 2010 11:46 AM PDT

Hi, friend, it is not noise, for more information, please go and see http://dcbbs.zol.com.cn/69/752_685976.html, you can click the photos to check the amplified one. The photo is taken with the camera lens being covered.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.