Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Do you have to use the UPS for computer

by gwingee / August 18, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

or is there something else. I have the Belkin UPS and it is starting to give me friend said she just uses a regular surge protector and I wanted to know what I should get? The one thing I hate about the UPS is when the power goes out it beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps
if I am not here it will drive my cats crazy...isn't that something else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you have to use the UPS for computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you have to use the UPS for computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me, the laptops have...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 12:26 AM PDT

Laptops have their own native UPS so I don't bother with such on the laptops.

About your Belkin. 1. How old? I run into owners that find these only last a few years. 2. Do you get a lot of power outages?

Collapse -
A UPS is worth it, in my opinion
by Steven Haninger / August 19, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

Surge protectors might offer some help but, did you know they lose their effectiveness without telling you about it? They can absorb some surges but at the expense of slowly deteriorating to a point where they're of little or no value. A UPS does more in that it can absorb those complete momentary outages that cause sudden PC shutdowns or resets that can be damaging or cause data loss. The beeping is a minor irritation, IMO.

Collapse -
If you need one, good
by Willy / August 19, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

The UPS is simple and cheap insurance in case your system is "spiked or outside grid" problems. It helps more than you think as it quiet most of the time. The beeping is calling for some action. If old, replacement time, if not be sure your have a capable UPS for your needs. I think, once a serious problem happens you'll realize the benefit of a UPS. As for beeping, get a new model that's some LED warning instead or simply clip the beeper wire or route a toggle sw. to cut out the beeper if possible.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Amen....if you want to keep your system up
by VAPCMD / August 19, 2008 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: If you need one, good

running and safe...a UPS is a 'must have' piece of PC equipment for any PC enthusiast.

Collapse -
cheap insurance? my pc will probably be 2.5k while an UPS is
by PorkyPhill / January 16, 2014 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: If you need one, good

cheap insurance? my pc will probably be 2.5k while an UPS is $543.20 which only has 3year warranty, don't have many outages here maybe once & year from snow, or wind & maybe another earthquake in the near future
i don't know about voltage lows in New Zealand thou

doesn't seem that cheap to me Silly
would be nice thou, maybe they'll be cheaper when i do a new build 5 years down the track Wink

Collapse -
Do you need a UPS? Only if. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 19, 2008 7:46 AM PDT

you want to prevent a damaging HD crash right in the middle of a power failure. My setup is a Belkin high end Surge Protector in front of my Belkin 900 VA UPS.

And a properly placed screwdriver will stop that annoying beep. Open the case, find the Pizo speaker, and adjust it with the screwdriver, (there is no "switch" for the audible alarm). It drives my mini-Schnauzers crazy too. Adjust as in pry it off the circuit board.

Collapse -
thanks all
by gwingee / August 20, 2008 5:04 AM PDT

can someone tell how me to stop the annoying beep???

Collapse -
How often does it beep?
by Steven Haninger / August 20, 2008 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks all

This should normally only happen during a power outage or short period when it's "on battery". An overload condition might cause this too but generally justs shuts it down. Too much beeping without any reason might mean a defective UPS. How old is it, what capacity and how much stuff is plugged in? Make sure a laser printer is never plugged into a PC grade UPS. But, to disable the beeper, you'll need to open it up and find the critter that makes the noise. Usually it will be a round plastic cylinder about dime or nickel size and maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch tall that appears to have a small silver mirror in the center. It's usually soldered to a circuit board. You can often quiet them some just by putting duct tape over the top of them. But, to get to it, you'll need tools and need to follow a few precautions as this isn't recommened by the manufacturer. You'll need to unplug the UPS and remove the battery. You'll need to locate the screws that hold the pieces together (can't help you there) and remove them. There could be snap tabs or other means of keeping you out. It's a hide and seek adventure if you want to try it. Did I say unplug the UPS and remove the battery? That should be bolded. Don't forget to unplug the UPS and remove the battery. The reason for battery removal is that when the battery is connected, the UPS has the ability to produce severe shock or even lethal amounts of current.

Collapse -
ha ha Steve
by gwingee / August 20, 2008 12:16 PM PDT

thanks much.. I will leave it only does it when the power goes out but it just goes on and long is it supposed to beep once the power is out..the while 15 min battery life????

Collapse -
by Willy / August 20, 2008 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: ha ha Steve

The beeping is a obvious warning to shutdown the system, if it only comes on when "power-OFF" or electricity is removed. Many newer and better UPS tend to auto-shutdown the system, does yours do this. If not, then a manual intervention is required on your part. If you shut-OFF power somehow to the room or AC ckt. the UPS is on, then yeah it's an annoyance but its doing its job. The only other reason I can think of, is the batteries are getting weak and need replacement as they're not fully charged or capable of their status level. If you're causing the problem by removing power, then I suggested earlier route a sw. to the beeper. -OR- as someone offered, tear it out(if capable), disable maybe more proper wording.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Can someone tell me how to stop the annoying beep? ... Maybe
by Watzman / August 22, 2008 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks all

Stop the beeping?

The beeping means either that the UPS is running on batteries (and your computer will soon die as the batteries run out .... anywhere from a minute or two to the full run time of the UPS (for consumer products, usually 5 to 20 minutes) .... OR that the battery is bad.

SOME UPS' have a way to either shut off the beeping or prevent it from occuring at all. SOME .... not all. There may be a switch to turn it off or alter it's behavior, or it may be software programmable via a USB or RS-232 (serial port) connection. On some UPS', however, the manufacturer provides no way to alter it's [sometimes annoying] behavior. If you are technically inclined, that still leaves one option (which I admit to having resorted to on some occasions): Open up the UPS and remove the speaker, buzzer or whatever other element makes the beeping sound.

Collapse -
Do you HAVE to use a UPS ????? ..... No, you don't HAVE to
by Watzman / August 22, 2008 11:33 AM PDT

No, you don't HAVE to use a UPS.

But it is a VERY good idea. A UPS is much better than a surge supressor, which, in my opinion, is NOT needed (but UPS' do that also, and do it better than stand alone surge supressors). [The disucssion as to why "just" surge supressors are in my view not necessary (and a waste of money) is beyond the scope of this reply, but I an a degeed Electrical Engineer with over 40 years of computer experience and a college instructor, not just some hobbyist.]

The biggest problem people have with UPS' is that UPS' have batteries that have a limited life (typically about 3 to maybe 5 years, but it does vary). Most of these in consumer UPS' are very standard 12 volt 7 amp-hour batteries that cost about $10 to $20 (but will cost as much to ship as they cost to buy). However, most people don't replace the batteries, they just replace the entire UPS. The UPS makers do nothing to discourage this, indeed in some cases they make the batteries difficult to replace and don't tell you how to do it (in other cases, it isn't difficult and the UPS makers do tell you how). Some UPS' have tiny batteries, what I call "toy batteries", these are usually 12v 3ah, and they are a joke (they are found mostly in 300VA and 350VA UPS').

But the bottom line is that as far as power conditioning is concerned, especially for consumer applications, a UPS is the bet option you can get.

Collapse -
I always have
by guiri_too / August 22, 2008 11:46 AM PDT

I like the option of NOT losing data when the power goes out.

I love when I lose power to the whole house and my puter just keeps on trucking and, I love that it'll take a power surge much better than a regular surge protector.

I have been using UPS's for the last 9 years or so.

Also, I have a much better ups than you can generally buy in the store but I got it on stinkbay at a much better price. It used to be a 2000 dollar unit.

Bottom line is YES. If the beep bothers you, remove the speaker or just stick it in another room with an extension cord.

Collapse -
My Belkin UPS Units Have a Button
by tonyny77 / August 22, 2008 3:40 PM PDT

I'm using two slightly different Belkin UPS models, but both of them have the same type of recessed button on the front of the unit. The button ? which is used to manually shutdown the UPS ? is recessed to prevent accidental/unintended shutdown. Does your unit have this button? On my UPS units, the button is silver-colored and it's just ? inch wide and 1? inches long.

If you use the Belkin-provided UPS status/monitor software, you'll see there's a myriad of control options. But if you don't use the status/monitor software or if your system is already off when an outage occurs, your UPS will just beep to signal there's an outage ... and it will CONTINUE to beep until other devices attached to the UPS drain its reserve power or the power is restored, whichever occurs first.

Since you made no mention of using the UPS status/monitor software, I'll assume you don't use it. The next time the power fails, just manually shutdown your system(s) BEFORE the UPS is drained, of course. After the system(s) shutdown, just press and hold the button I mentioned earlier and the UPS itself will shutdown and the beep will cease. When power is restored, press and hold the button again to turn your UPS on.

Collapse -
UPS Shutdown
by tonyny77 / August 23, 2008 12:19 AM PDT

Oh, I forgot to mention ... As you press and hold the UPS button to shut it down or start it, you need to hold it for two or three seconds before the UPS will respond.

Collapse -
by shipjim / August 23, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: UPS Shutdown

I also use the UPS on my rear projection HD TV as well as my wife's expensive computerized sewing machines (some cost $5000!) It has lots of uses not just computers.

Collapse -
thanks much
by gwingee / August 23, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

I don't think I even have the software CD...I don't remember it even being in the box...figures...

Collapse -
Check the UPS for USB or Serial port
by albizzia / August 23, 2008 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks much

Some of the older UPS units didn't include software or a connection for the computer, if the power failed they relied on the operator (that's you!) to manually shut down the computer before the batteries were drained.

Newer units usually include a 9 pin Serial port or a USB port to connect to the computer, and software to control the UPS and automatically perform an orderly shutdown, if needed, before the batteries give out. The software usually monitors the condition of the UPS and batteries, and can warn if battery replacement is needed.

Try looking on the UPS and seeing if it has a serial port, or a USB port (rectangular type A or square type B). If so, you may be able to download the software from the UPS company website, make a cable connection, and you're set.

BTW, the UPS I recently purchased has an unconventional USB port and special cable, it has a plug like a Ethernet port on one end and USB on the other. Go figure.

Collapse -
by wawadave / August 25, 2008 10:10 AM PDT

i totally recomend running a ups. its way better that any surge protector.
On ups i have there is a button on the front when power goes out and stays out just hold it in for awhile it will beep(depends on type)let go it should be silent after that.

Collapse -
Word of Advice on UPS
by djFLWB / August 22, 2008 10:03 PM PDT

First you don't have to use a UPS. It is highly recommended. Especially if you live in an area like California or Florida where you may experience power fluctuations (spikes and brown outs)regularly. The UPS will provide the power cleanly to your pc so you won't experience drops in power which would cause you to lose data while in mid process.

When buying a UPS add up the power requirements for all of the components you are planning to plug in. PC, Monitor, External Hard Drive etc. Double it and then use that to determine the size of the UPS. A bigger UPS will give you a longer running time on battery back up. It may be more expensive but it is worth it. (I live in Florida my UPS is my best friend)

Others have already adequately explained how to shut off the beeping.

Keep this in mind about a UPS. The UPS uses an electronic component call a Varistor. The Varistor acts to arrest the surges in power that you may expect. (Spikes). There are different types of varistors used. Varistors can and do wear out. A UPS will not last you forever. Generally just a few years. Check the mfg warranty they also should provide a recommended replacement period in their documentation.

The same goes for surge protectors. People need to be aware that their surge protectors also need to be replaced. If your surge protector is more than three years old you should replace it to be safe. It's like insurance. You may not ever use it, but when you need it you are glad you have it. The old surge protector can still be used as a multiple outlet power strip even if it no longer has surge protection capability.

Collapse -
It's a very good idea
by cadwellm / August 23, 2008 1:37 AM PDT

I had a UPS on my computer but not on my TV. There was a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning which hit the transformer in my backyard.

Result when the electricity was turned on again?
Computer was fine
UPS was fried
So was the TV

Now they both have UPS. It's worth it!

Collapse -
Surge protectors and power conditioners
by mjd420nova / August 23, 2008 2:04 AM PDT

I use a Tripplite UPS unit for a home server, cable modem and router. This serves two purposes. The first is to act as a power conditioner in the case of spikes on the line which for me is pretty often, I use an air compressor quite often and the neighbors have some pretty high current air conditioners and I'm on the end of the power line so any disturbance is magnified for me. The second reason is to provide the isolation that is needed to protect my equipment from lightning strikes that can really damage computing equipment. I have also added seperate lightning protectors for the incoming cable line and telephone lines as they can also be a source of incoming spikes that can provide a path into the home for high voltage transients. The battery backup function that provides power during an outage is just an added bonus that allows me a short time to conduct an orderly shutdown before the battery runs out should an extended outage occur. The important part in all this is that the UPS be properly grounded and not just through the wall outlet but a seperate large gauge wire directly to a ground source, be it a nearby water pipe or seperate ground stake outside the home. Using the wall outlet ground can provide a path within the home that can damage more electrical/electronic equipment that what would normally be affected by a simple transient event.

Collapse -
by zothug / August 23, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

why should'nt you use helps you to matain your data or your current work during power lost.most importantly its maintain the flow of electric current needed by your comp.lastly computer expert wouln'nt make a hardware thats not required by a comp.its better ho have a high ups voltage than a low voltage ups.:-)

Collapse -
by GENE8 / August 23, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

You don't have to use a UPS unless you're using your PC as a server on a network. A good surge protector is all you need for a typical desktop PC.

Collapse -
That's questionable advice...
by glenn30 / August 23, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: no

What happens when power failure occurs in the middle of some important document or other data... is it lost, corrupted, etc?

Surge protector will offer no protection for that.

Collapse -
Back up the data
by GENE8 / August 23, 2008 4:30 PM PDT

Backing up all your data on a daily or weekly basis is the best way to protect your data. The main purpose of a UPS or surge protector is to protect your computer, not your data. Backing up is the only way to really protect your data, regardless of what protection measures you're using for your PC. The best way to save important data and not risk losing it (because of a power surge) is to put it on an external drive, instead of on your internal drive, and then disconnect the external drive from the PC whenever you're not using it.

Collapse -
Well... yes and no...
by glenn30 / August 24, 2008 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Back up the data

"The main purpose of a UPS or surge protector is to protect your computer, not your data."

Both are useful to protect the computer: acknowledged and agreed. However main purpose of UPS is not only to protect the computer but to allow time to shut down in the event of a power failure. This prevents loss of anything presently being worked on and lessens risk of system damage. That is my only point! A surge protector offers no protection other than from the surge... gives no opportunity for a normal shutdown in unexpected loss of power.

I know about regular backups and make it a regular practice which is somewhat unrelated to the subject of UPS and surge protectors under discussion.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Apparently, You Haven't Seen What I've Seen..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Back up the data

In a corporate enterprise, UPS systems are extremely important for protecting data AND the computer....and most importantly, time and money. (It's not much different on home computers either, by the way.) Corporate systems and some home computers are working all the time and a power outage can be catastrophic. Too many times, I've seen power outages occur when large amounts of data were being copied to and from networked computers, or in some cases, simply being copied from the computer to a flash drive.. Although not always the case, on those machines where there was no UPS battery backup, the computer sometimes needed a a complete reformat and reinstall because of corrupted files which resulted from the quick removal of power.. I recently had to format a flash drive for a customer because the owner's husband flicked off the main circuit-breaker to the house. Instant power loss. Most of the files being copied over were corrupt on the flash drive and it also seemed to damage the ability to copy anything else correctly as well. The formatting of the flash drive helped the situation but a UPS system would have prevented such a thing from happening..

The point is, if your computer just sits there doing nothing, sure, a power loss "USUALLY" will cause no damage.. But removing power during copying/saving/pasting, etc. cause cause issue.. Although it's important to make backups of your important files.. that's not the point here. Forget about how to backup files.. It's the time and expense of recovering the system that is helped by using a UPS. (By the way, what happens when your backup "external drive" dies?? If your data is important, make a backup of the backup.. If you buy one external drive, buy two.. and make two backups.)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Having Backups Makes You Less Likely to Need an UPS?
by tonyny77 / August 24, 2008 7:56 AM PDT

As Grif and some others mentioned, backups are always essential, whether you've protected your system(s) with an UPS or not. But thinking you don't need an UPS because your system is saved is unwise, I feel.

Even in some of the ?professional? IT organizations I've worked, I've seen people make way too many bad decisions. For one, re-using the same media over and over to do a new backup is plain foolish. If you over-write your previous backup with the new backup you just started, what do you do if your system goes belly-up right in the middle of your save? Your previous backup has already been over-written and the new backup that just failed didn't successfully finish either. Translation: You've got nothin?.

Okay, so let's use the external hard drive backup method. You might date your backups, perhaps, and keep several older versions too. That may sound great because if the last backup dies for any reason, you've still got the older saves. Right? No, not exactly. You've still got a "single point of failure" situation because any power line anomaly that can kill your system can do the same to your external hard drive, too. Thinking that only the last backup set will be damaged is wishful thinking of the highest order.

Therefore, the way I see it, at the VERY LEAST, someone concerned about protecting their systems should do one or both of the following:
? As Grif suggested, have two external drives and alternate use of them. If one backup dies, the other drive will still have one or more earlier saves.
? Put your system and your external hard drive(s) on an UPS to protect them from all but the worst power line problems.

However, note that there are some cautiously-minded people (such as another well-known CNet Forum moderator) who'd scowl at just about any backup solution that involves use of hard drives, external or otherwise. To a certain extent, I have to agree. For some peoples? taste, a hard drive is entirely too volatile to be used as a backup medium. To suit some ?backup fanatics? (I mean that in a complimentary way), several layers of redundancy as well as having your backups stored at multiple off-site locations are the only backup solutions they?d ever accept.

Furthermore, if you?ve got a carefully crafted malicious script on your system, it?s just ACHING for more hard drives and networked devices to be attached to your system just so your saves can be destroyed too ... just like an underwater croc waiting for a thirsty animal to come to the water?s edge for a drink.

Yes, I know that off-site backups and extra redundancy seems to be going way over-board for the average home computer enthusiast, but it all depends on how willing you are to risk your data ... your tax returns, irreplaceable photos, music, videos, important documents, and who knows what else.

Good luck!

Collapse -
multiple back sources
by mementh / August 24, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

I would recomend a multi source backup method.

I backup my main drive to a Secondary drive incase I ever need to suddenly do a reformat/reinstall. The first one is quite smaller (320 gigs and i use abotu 80 gigs) but then I have *EVERYTHING* backed up to mozy (I have alot of movies and tv shows i spent time ripping and since i have space..... ) so i have a 427 gig backup to mozy... and if i loose everything i know i can order DVD's of the big stuff and download the rest.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?