General discussion

Do You Have "Freaky Fungus" Invasion In Dishwasher?

Freaky Fungus Evolved For Dishwasher Environment.

Seems a little clorox in the water might help???

"It sounds like the premise for a low-budget horror film: a potentially
deadly fungus is found living in dishwashers all over the world. Researchers at the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia sampled over 180
dishwashers from around the world and found evidence that black yeasts
Exophiala dermatitidis and E. phaeomuriformis are growing on the rubber
door gaskets of more than half of in-home dishwashers they sampled. What has alarmed scientists, however, is that the yeasts can survive
in the extreme environment of a dishwasher, where temperatures
frequently top 158 degrees Fahrenheit, water can either be acidic or
alkaline and salt is in high concentration. No other fungi have been
found that could live in such a harsh habitat.
The Slovenian researchers theorized that the yeasts found in dishwashers had evolved to live there,"
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Do You Have "Freaky Fungus" Invasion In Dishwasher?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Do You Have "Freaky Fungus" Invasion In Dishwasher?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The nasties

Why would this become an issue that someone in Slovenia had to look into it. Also, as the contents of the dishwasher are harmful to the nasties, if the fungus is found on the gasket that is "outside" of the harmful area to it. Since, most people don't eat off the gasket, maybe that's why most people haven't encountered a problem, within reason. Maybe a wipe down with bleach now and then could help.

This morning a big issue about airports. Due the cross-over of all travelers and the common areas they travel, it provides an immediate area of contamination because of frequent and common usage. So, use that hand wipes like crazy. ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Small world. I noticed this too.

We recently moved and the dishwasher was at first glance clean but sure enough it had an odor about it. It was stainless steel so it was pretty easy to wipe it down (bleach) and then a little more work to clean out the baskets and filters then add that dishwasher cleaner (no dishes on that or the next run) to clean out its pipes. MUCH BETTER.

Instead of closing it up we leave it open so it dries out as much as possible.

Result? The odor and more is gone.

-> Moving onto the HE clothes washer the same issue was there. Again with the wipe down and then the run with the cleaners then a change in the regimen. Leave the door open after use to let it dry out.

Some folk are sensitive to those yeasts and more, so a little change in the use pattern (leaving the door ajar) can really help.
Bob

- Collapse -
I leave the door open

on the microwave oven too. Bugs my wife some, but I remind her of the one that rusted inside.

- Collapse -
It evolved, you say?
Wink

From the article:

While the yeasts can pose a danger to individuals with severely compromised immune systems, especially people with cystic fibrosis, most people needn't worry about getting sick from their dishwasher. Experts say that the likelihood of death from dishwasher-borne black yeast is rare even for those who are extremely immunocompromised.

So it may be unpleasant to think about, but it isn't anything for most people to be concerned about.
- Collapse -
I suspect too many folks think that dishwashers

mean you don't need to rinse your dishes and utensils first and they leave too much food on them. They also think that they don't need to scrape their plates into the garbage if they have a disposal on the sink drain. I'm also going to suspect that too much in the way of raw and uncooked food stuff finds its way into the sink and dishwasher. There's nothing like offering a buffet to bacteria and fungi to get them to hang around in your kitchen.

CNET Forums