HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you feel that you are a fanboy/girl for a certain brand?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 19, 2013 8:07 AM PST

To give you some perspective to this poll, read this CNET article: iSheep, Fandroids, and why we care so damn much about our smartphones

Do you personally feel that you are a fanboy/girl for a certain brand?

-- Yes, but I keep that to myself.
-- Yes. I'm proud to be a fan of a brand, but I have respect for other brands.
-- Yes, and I do go out to the Internet to voice my brand loyalties.
-- No.
-- No, I think fanboys/girls are just a bunch of immature people.

If you are, please tell us what brands they are and why?

Cast your poll votes here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2345.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you feel that you are a fanboy/girl for a certain brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you feel that you are a fanboy/girl for a certain brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by 4Denise / November 19, 2013 9:13 AM PST

I have my current preferences, but they can change at any time. I'm not really a fan of any particular brand of any tech gadget. They all have their good and bad points.

Collapse -
Sick of hearing it
by rje49 / November 19, 2013 9:31 AM PST

You can hardly read a comments section without it quickly getting into this brand vs. that brand, etc.etc. I'm sick of reading that stuff. You know how your hairdresser girl says they taught her to never talk customers about religion or politics? You know why? 'cause nobody will ever, ever, change anybody's mind about what they believe in. Same thing here. I use mostly Dell PCs and love them. If somebody tells me I should use an Apple or switch to Linux, guess what I'll do? Right. Ignore them. PEOPLE, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME!

Collapse -
No, I have owned both an iPhone and Android smartphone
by Donato777 / November 19, 2013 10:07 AM PST

My former iPhone 4S was a fine smartphone, but now I am using the HTC One, and I like it as much as the iPhone. I find that the iPhone did some things better than the HTC One, and The One does so e things better than the iPhone. I am currently very happy with the One, but will not rule out purchasing an iPhone in the future. So basically, I choose a smartphone for how it meets my needs, rather than on brand loyalty.

Collapse -
Blackberry baby!!!
by tonyron227 / November 19, 2013 10:12 AM PST

I have been a fan for years and I enjoy the exclusivity of being in this group...security is tops and and now with the latest updates to BB10 we can enjoy more apps from android...

Collapse -
I support any useful and stylish smartphone
by lmathews / November 19, 2013 12:09 PM PST

I love apple iPhone and iPad for their elegant design and clean interface and own an iPad mini. My iPhone 3GS died after 3 years (white screen of death!) The most irritating thing about Apple is its restrictive practices in the app store. I am based in Dubai and have a subscription from Zinio magazines. While I can access the site from my PC, the Zinio app refuses to download on my ipad and I get a message that the app is not available in the local App store. I cannot understand this concept in this time & age when people work & travel in a global environment! This has changed my outlook towards Apple and my current smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I absolutely love it.

Collapse -
I'm not a fanboy. I'm just looking for the best solution
by jdonalds / November 19, 2013 3:36 PM PST
iOS: I've been using Apple iPod Touch devices for a few years. They work well, are simple to use, and have the best all around OS. But the lack of customization, and the lag of Apple advancing was killing me. Apple has slipped behind in innovation and features now. Android is marching ahead.

Windows 8: I really wanted Windows 8 to be better than it is. I would really like to have a smartphone, convertible laptop, and desktop to be running one OS. There is a definite lack of certain apps that were available on iOS that are not available on Windows 8. Furthermore the Windows Phone 8 is just missing some very basic attributes such as just LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH settings for brightness, and one volume setting for all audio. So for me Windows Phone 8 just wasn't good enough.

I have no use for live tiles. I think they are a waste of design effort. Also I really miss having app folders in W8 like those available in iOS and Android. I don't want to swipe sideways to see more apps or more content. I have my iPod Touch and Android phone setup so all my apps are available from one main screen using folders. This design makes much more sense to me.

Andriod: It is so satisfying to have a vast array of user controls which are missing from iOS. But Android is sloppy and messy. Apps don't seem to follow consistent rules. Android needs to allow icon badges like iOS.
So I've found no operating system is best. Apple could win a lot more market share if they would provide more user customization. Windows is behind in both app availability and OS features. Android needs to consolidate the OS and reduce the mess.
Collapse -
Windows/IBM
by issachar5 / November 19, 2013 8:49 PM PST

Obviously, Windows won the Apple vs Windows platform long ago. While a niche computer, Apple computers are probably outsold 1000 to one vis-a-vis Windows computers. However, when it comes to tablets, Windows has shot itself in the foot with their expensive tablets. Like IBM (who could have owned the PC industry), poor and expensive product has probably killed Windows as a platform for tablets. Android has the right idea...good and cheap...and reliable.

Collapse -
Fan Grrrl, for sure!
by Call_Me / November 19, 2013 9:07 PM PST

I've been a Fan Grrrl, my entire life, being very faithful to brands. However, it's based on performance, not blind loyalty. Both my Mum and Gran were very loyal to certain brands of soap, cleaners, etc., and that made sense to them with so little money at hand.
As they say, "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" However, if the brand changes or goes down-hill, I'll jump. I used to be a rabid SONY fan, but when SONY just gave up the ghost on TV's and tablets, I jumped to Samsung. Kodak went belly-up so my new digital camera is Canon. Used to adore Nokia, well, they fell away so it's now HTC.
So, I stick with a brand until it fails me, and then I move on. But, I never bash anyone for their choice; that's silly. Rather like a Vanilla vs. Chocolate debate: there's no winners! Grin

Collapse -
No point in brand loyalty
by AJ343 / November 19, 2013 9:35 PM PST

I doubt the day will ever come when every single product in one brands product range is superior to all other brands so why restrict yourself by being a fan? I can however be a fan of a specific product, regardless of brand - if it's good enough.

I suspect brand loyalty was originally a rouse dreamt up by marketing/advertising 'executives' to dupe the gullible.

Collapse -
Fanboy
by jmmk / November 19, 2013 10:13 PM PST

Yes, I am a fanboy, but not for a particular brand, but rather a fanboy for computers/technology. I have at least one of each - Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Ubuntu & Raspberry Pi.
jmmk

Collapse -
All about money
by marikavs / November 20, 2013 1:04 AM PST

For me, it was always about money, even more so now that I'm retired (from supporting Windows machines.) The only reason I own two Mac laptops is that one of them was a hand-me-down (thus free,) and the other one was half paid for by my employer at the time. I also have a "dumb" phone still, but that doesn't mean I don't lust after an iPhone. Apart from the money issue, what would hold me back from getting one now has to do with all the security problems I read about-- whether it comes to iPhones, Android, or Windows phones, i.e. "smart phones" in general. I received a Kindle Fire for my birthday a couple of years ago and I use it constantly (mostly to read, and purchase, books on.)

Collapse -
Do you personally feel that you are a fanboy/girl for a cert
by Claus32 / December 22, 2013 7:48 PM PST

I think yes, but my preferences can be change from time to time...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.