Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Do you drink your 8 glasses of water each day?...

by Mosonnow / September 30, 2004 12:54 AM PDT

Dr Heinz Valtin (from Hanover, NH) is not convinced that our daily intake of fluid has to be solely water, exclusive of other liquids (coffee, juice etc). I have for much time wondered how it is physically possible to drink the requisite water amount as well as normal coffee etc. Aside from which, too much fluid washes out body salts/minerals which have to be replaced.

Could this be an end to a long term instruction and guilty conscience for non-compliance?

http://www.buzzflood.org/index.php?itemid=1462

This is the subject of a programme on our BBC tonight - I'm going to be an optimist and sit there with my Ovaltine laced with.... and hope I've drunk it before I find the denouement which inevitably arrives at the end of the programme. Cheers folks!

Regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you drink your 8 glasses of water each day?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you drink your 8 glasses of water each day?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Yes I do, as long as it flows through my percolator
by MKay / September 30, 2004 12:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Do you drink your 8 glasses of water each day?...
by Josh K / September 30, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few months ago. Part of my doctor's advice was to increase my fluid intake. So now I take a 32 oz. container of water to work with me every day and drink the whole thing. I have an 8 oz. glass first thing in the AM, a soda with lunch (12 oz.) and a glass of juice with dinner. I try not to drink anything after dinner so I'm not getting up during the night too much.

Collapse -
Try some vitamin D too.
by James Denison / September 30, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

Supposed to help with that, and if you don't get much sun, or drink much milk, or eat many dark greens, you probably need it.

Collapse -
That much or more
by C1ay / September 30, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

I am one of the few that can claim that water truely is my favorite drink of all. I fill my water glass all day. Less frequently, by circumstance, I will have an occasional cup of coffee and much less frequently a soda pop. On average, I get about a year out of a six pack of beer and several of those will be used for cooking instead of drinking. I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner quite often. I often try to tell others that they should try learning to like water but few listen. Once you get to like it the way I do you'll find many more places that offer your favorite drink Happy

Collapse -
Not sure ... sometimes I do ...
by Bill Osler / September 30, 2004 7:40 AM PDT

I do not believe the 8 glasses a day recommendation is well supported by science.

It may be that most of us need a half gallon of fluids daily, but I don't see any reason we shouldn't count the fluids in our food and in any beverages. In other words, it doesn't have to be 8 glasses of water.

Anybody for a half gallon of ice cream? That would have enough water to account for most of the daily requirement! Happy

Collapse -
by Rolway / September 30, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

I don't drink much water and hardly no soda pop, but I do drink 8 - 10 cups of decaf peakoe black tea a day. I suppose thats counts as OK.

George

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / September 30, 2004 8:58 AM PDT

Hi Mo,

I'm like Clay, water's my favorite. I drink more than my required amount of fluids in water alone. You'd be hard pressed to see me anywhere without an ice water within easy reach!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Well Folks, the prgramme was a disappointment to me...
by Mosonnow / September 30, 2004 8:23 PM PDT

coming from the BBC (of whom I would have expected better), although in mitigation it was an early-evening programme, so no doubt deliberately lightweight.

The bottom line being that we perform less well if we are dehydrated. Now there's a revelation.

Apparently the "2 litres" derived from a study in the US in 1949, by the way. My own opinion is that "thirst" comes well up in the hierarchy of instinctive needs (body telling us) and generally speaking we each decide how best to fulfil that need.

I do think, however, that we all drink all sorts of things but sooner or later come back to a basic glass (or two) of plain water, either to wash things through or simply not to add anything else. I recall an SE member telling us all that a glass of water first thing in a morning was better for lubricating the joints and my own final conclusion is that however one makes up one's two litres to avoid dehydration, it ain't no bad thing to include a fair amount of plain water.

My two cents.

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!