The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you access the Internet on your cell phone?

Do you access the Internet (e-mail or Web) on your cell phone?

Yes (how often?)
I can, but I don't (why not?)
I can't, but I wish I could
No (why?)
Phones should be used only for talking

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you access the Internet on your cell phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you access the Internet on your cell phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Phones should be made to make phone calls - nothing else

In reply to: Do you access the Internet on your cell phone?

I want a phone that makes excellent phone calls. That's it. For all other functions in my life I will use whatever it's the most suitable device/procedure: A PC email client to read email, a newsreader for Usenet, my PDA for quick lookups when away from a computer (which is almost NEVER, unless I want it so). A Swiss Army knife is not a very good knife, or screw driver, or scissors....

Collapse -
Cell Phones for phone calls

In reply to: Phones should be made to make phone calls - nothing else

But any random hard-wired phone makes better calls.
So I have a cell and carry it ONLY when I might have an urgent need to call somebosy, which is seldom. (I have a phone at work and a phone at home, call me there. If I'm driving I would not answer my cell phone, assuming it was where i could hear it, assuming it was on, and assuming I brougt it in the first place.)

>>
I use it to check flight arrival information when I'm on my way to the airport to pick someone up (you'd be surprised how often arrival times & gates change at the last minute).
>>
So What? I simply go to where the plane was supposed to arrive, 9 times out of 10 it does. I not I walt to the correct gate.

>>
I use it to get sports scores when I'm not near a TV.
>>
I can always wait for the next time I'm near a newspaper, let alone a TV.

Rick

Collapse -
Re: Cell Phones for phone calls

In reply to: Cell Phones for phone calls

> But any random hard-wired phone makes better calls.
> So I have a cell and carry it ONLY when I might have > an urgent need to call somebosy, which is seldom. (I > have a phone at work and a phone at home, call me
> there. If I'm driving I would not answer my cell
> phone, assuming it was where i could hear it,
> assuming it was on, and assuming I brougt it in the
> first place.)
>
> >>
> I use it to check flight arrival information when I'm > on my way to the airport to pick someone up (you'd be > surprised how often arrival times & gates change at
> the last minute).
> >>
> So What? I simply go to where the plane was supposed > to arrive, 9 times out of 10 it does. I not I walt to > the correct gate.

The airport I use most frequently has terminals that are as much as a 40 minute walk between them, and I have two small children that I always end up taking (hey, we're going to meet Mommy. They aren't even willing to consider not going!). I simply can't do what you suggest. That is, even if I could get them anywhere near the gate - security won't let us past the checkpoint at each terminal, and parking is expensive enough near terminals that it's prohibitive to park and when the terminal is changed, drive to the next terminal and park again. No, using my cell to check the gate and arrival time is much more efficient and saves me te trouble of dealing with two children who are upset at having to walk a mile or so to the next terminal because Mom's plane came in at a different terminal than it was originally scheduled to arrive at.

> >>
> I use it to get sports scores when I'm not near a TV.
> >>
> I can always wait for the next time I'm near a
> newspaper, let alone a TV.

So you aren't a sports fan. I try to stay pretty current with the teams I follow. It's important <to me>.

One other thing I hadn't even thought about was the "additional expense" part of using my cell for Internet. My service package includes unlimited Internet access as well as unlimited nights & weekends. Internet usage cost is so much a non-factor I hadn't even thought about it since I got the plan (about 5 years ago, actually). I guess it actually costs me between $10 and $15 per month, but when you think about the additional costs if I didn't have this plan, that makes this package a bargain.

The phone network is for my provider is called 1xRTT (some folks call this 3G, but it's really about 2.5G). Speed isn't as good as on my broadband (at least until the next upgrade is rolled out in a month or so), but it's better than my old dial-up ever was. I don't know how fast it really is, but I can say that access isn't painfully slow, just slower than my cable.

Collapse -
not a chance

In reply to: Cell Phones for phone calls

I have no interest in spending my life glued to a cell phone. I find the information I need on the net or on cable TV. It may be an age thing because the younger generation think it?s great to be hooked to the net via their cell phones.
My cell phone is a great convenience and I would miss it but I don?t need all the extra bells and whistles.

Collapse -
By and large I agree, but ........

My mobile phone has become an essential device ..... for making phone calls. I do a great deal of wild life work and now rather than having to arrange hourly rendezvous for safety I can simply use the phone. One location I visit, just once a year, I can only get internet access via the mobile and that is the only time I use it for collecting and receiving email. If I couldn't do that .... so what? A few days of peace!

Collapse -
Hello?

Hello?... Hello?... Are you there?...Hello?...Can you hear me now? Uh, musta' hung up!

Do you seriously want that scenario on your Internet??

Collapse -
Not only hearing people use mobile devices.

I work with the Deaf community on a daily basis. I have a Sidekick II. It is very popular with the Deaf community and helps me stay connected. I can use it for voice calls, but the Deaf cannot call me directly. Mobile devices are more than just for hearing people. I also like to be able to stay connected with people via email. Do I sacrifice quality with the Sidekick II (Like the scissors and screwdrivers on a Swiss Army Knife?), absolutely not.

Collapse -
not saying the utils shouldn't be used....

In reply to: Not only hearing people use mobile devices.

I'm not saying that a cell phone shouldn't have other utilities and uses, but there is a time and a place for using them. Driving down highway 101 is not the place to be arguing with your buddy about a play in the game you're watching on your phones LCD screen. People seem to have lost sight of that fact. There is a time and a place for just about everything, and it takes an amount of discretion and judgement to know when and where that is, so when you put a fun 'toy'(yes, I know there are real uses for them) in the hands of some people, they lose sight of that discretion.

Cheers,
Bren384

Collapse -
e-mail or Web on Phone?

No Never,

Email is newer version of previous Mail system with quick delivery enabled, I believe. I want my Mails (e-mails) either at home or business address delivered. I do not want any e-mail (most are stupid or junk) while I am driving. The purpose of cell phone is to convey urgent but only short messages only.

Collapse -
Yes, regularly.

I use it to check weather when I'm out camping with Boy Scouts. I use it to check flight arrival information when I'm on my way to the airport to pick someone up (you'd be surprised how often arrival times & gates change at the last minute). I use it to get sports scores when I'm not near a TV.

A cell phone isn't the best tool for any of these, but it's far more convenient than carrying a laptop while camping, and trying to use the airlines services for arrival gate & time info when I live 45 minutes from the airport and trying to keep a radio that will receive only the sports scores for the teams I follow. No it isn't perfect, but then that isn't what I require. It's adequate, and that's enough.

Collapse -
I access the net and email daily

In reply to: Yes, regularly.

but i use a windows mobile 2003SE based pocketpc phone. i connect to my email via a pop3 connection and i can immediately send/receive emails directly on my phone. as for the internet, i usually go to sites where i can get the latest news.

JoMer

Collapse -
Where do you camp?

In reply to: Yes, regularly.

I have enough trouble getting a dependable signal in my own home, let alone out in the woods camping.

Collapse -
I Texas, I've camped at ...

In reply to: Where do you camp?

Bovay Scout Ranch (weak but reliable signal)
Camp Strake (intermittent, weak signal)
Huntsville State Park (good signal)
Lake Livingston State Park (good signal)
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area (not even a hint of signal)
Fairfield Lake State Park (intermitent, weak signal)

I've been to a few other areas, and the results seem to be about the same as most of these. I may have to reload a page two or three times if the signal is weak.

Collapse -
Too expensive!

It's too damn expensive! When the price of accessing the web via my cell comes down, I may use it for that, but not now.

Collapse -
ditto here

In reply to: Too expensive!

Cell phone is too expensive and I would add that, unless you had some special speed up process, it would be incredibly slow.

Collapse -
Internet Access Via Mobile Phones

I totally agree with you, hear in Scotland as in the States it's to expensive to surf with a Mobile Phone.
You get charged to dial in and then it costs you extra per minute of time surfing. This is on top of your Monthly line rental and call costs too.
God forbid you actually download anything without taking out a second mortgage.
The companies that provide it are just ripping you off and the content is not all that great either.
When access is cheaper and you have the same benefits as with a Notebook or PC on web content.
Then most people would start to use phones more for net purposes.

Collapse -
Expense is my main issue

The wireless companies are already in collusion with the prices, and they have a strangle hold in the business with companies being absorbed by other companies, giving less competition. When I complained to one wireless company about a policy, the agent fired back, we all do it so where will you go for a better deal. I would use it but the cost is too much, I use my phone as a phone and as an organizer. I would definitely use the web apps if the cost wasn't so prohibitive.

Collapse -
agreed!

No matter how convenient cell phones are, the companies still are are charging too much for every little option. Looks like they would see what it did for the regular phone industry as less people opt to even have home phone service.

Collapse -
Sprint and PCS Vision

PCS vision from sprint is one of the nicest things for media junkies like myself. For only an additional $10 a month you get unlimited web access, unlimited text messages, and unlimited picture mail. I once considered switching networks but there was no one else who could give me competitive options for the same price. By the way, I only pay $40 per month for my cell phone.

Collapse -
Sprint PCS Vision

In reply to: Sprint and PCS Vision

Sprint PCS Vision is pretty good (and it only costs $5 on a second line). But about the only time I use it is when I'm driving in an unfamiliar town and I need to know where the nearest gas station or restaurant is. Also, when I'm in a motel room and the motel doesn't have free WiFi, I'll use the cellphone as a modem tethered to my laptop, so I can read email and do some web broswing on a full size screen. The screen on a cellphone is simply too small for web browsing, and the buttons are too small for my big clumsy fingers.

Collapse -
Too expensive!

It should be free or just use your available minutes at a reasonable rate (I never even come close to using all of my minutes and they know that). Won't use it till then.

Collapse -
too expensive

I have to concur. Cell companies are doing anything and everything to extract more from our wallets. Any excuse will do. I guess as long as people are willing to pay the prices won't improve.

Collapse -
Too expensive AND a waste of time

Much easier and WAY less expensive to do all web business from laptop or desktop with broadband that is cheap, reliable and fast - none of which describes anything a cellphone does now.
A laptop, shrunk, easy to use, user friendly, and with a reliable hookup (wireless or otherwise) might be attractive, but there is a long way to go!!

Collapse -
My sentiments also

Cell phone companies want to either have you sign up for a monthly internet plan or way overcharge you for how many kb you use if your not signed up.

Collapse -
Cell phone internet access

My cell phone can get to the internet but much too slowly. Also, I get the occasional "not enough memory to perform this function."

Collapse -
Buttons are so "D@nG" Small

In reply to: Cell phone internet access

Ok, maybe for the teenagers and some cute girls, but for most adults those buttons are so small, I feel Like a Giant ape playing nintendo, How is that for an imagery

Collapse -
yeah right

sorry for saying this but you must be very old fashion or live in a very small world, technology is the future

Collapse -
Let's see, driving and playing games on the internet!

I ride a motorcycle and seeing that is the most dangerous you can encounter (cell phones) the internet is like putting a bounty on other drivers (riders).

Collapse -
I would, but...

The $6/month fee doesn't really seem worth it. I used it for a while, and it was great for downloading free ringtones, accessing my web-based e-mail, checking weather, sports scores, etc. I can't really justify spending an extra $6 a month just for this convenience, though.

Collapse -
Several times a day.

Picked a phone with excellent call quality, which also turned out to be very strong in the data department. Spend more time online now than talking, as the web is just a single button press away and the browsing is faster than most PDA's. SMS notifications when important email hit my Yahoo inbox, plus POP/IMAP access and relatively small size make it a near-ideal package.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!