Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Do we like this tool?

by itsdigger / April 17, 2014 4:13 AM PDT
itsdigger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do we like this tool?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do we like this tool?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by itsdigger

Collapse -
Did you read ..
by Carol~ Moderator / April 17, 2014 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Do we like this tool?

Did you read Netcraft's press release: Netcraft releases Heartbleed indicator for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera ?

And what it says under Update: at the bottom?:

'Several readers have noted the privacy drawbacks posed by use of the Netcraft extension. Among other things, according to one reader, the extension sends vistited URLs that can include query strings, and it does so using an unencrypted HTTP connection. If true, that leaves a list of visited sites open for surveillance and man-in-the-middle attacks. Netcraft has a fuller privacy disclosure in the "About" tab of the extension. Ars readers are encouraged to think over the implications before installing the extension.'

The reader comments can also be found at the bottom.

On a personal note. I haven't had much time to read more about it. I'd like to gain more knowledge before testing it.

What I do know for sure. Netcraft isn't the only site offering the download. If anyone is going to give the extension a try, I strongly suggest being mindful of the site it's downloaded from.

¢ ¢
Carol

Collapse -
I'll take that as a NO lol
by itsdigger / April 17, 2014 6:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you read ..

and leave it be. Thanks Carol

Digger

Collapse -
Well .. maybe not a definitive NO !!
by Carol~ Moderator / April 18, 2014 3:00 AM PDT

But more like a different kind of no ..as in ...... "I don't KNOW". Silly

I stumbled across these in my travels this morning. No doubt there are more.

Netcraft adds Heartbleed sniffing to site-scanning browser tool
This Netcraft tool flags sites affected by Heartbleed

Here it says:

"Keep in mind that detecting Heartbleed is trickier than it seems, and there are questions about the reliability of many existing tools. We've found the Qualys SSL Server Test to work well, but whatever you're doing, it's best not to rely on one company's detection tools alone."

Happy Easter!
Carol

Collapse -
HAHA
by itsdigger / April 18, 2014 3:17 AM PDT

Yeah, I read all 3 of the articles and Netcraft seems pretty open about the issues and The Register doesn't even mention it, Ars Technica does though.
Just because they DO mention it , I think I'll just leave it alone.

Digger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!