Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Do we know bad things about him?

by Steven Haninger / August 10, 2012 7:32 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do we know bad things about him?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do we know bad things about him?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I love this man
by TONI H / August 10, 2012 9:42 PM PDT

He'll debate Biden and make him look like the piker he is.......

And altho the liberals have already been saying that Ryan doesn't have what they call 'media presence' or the ability to confront, he's actually confronted BO himself twice on CSPAN during meetings early in the BO term, he put BO in his place financially and made BO look like the idiot he is.

The only thing I don't care for about the Ryan Plan is that it doesn't bring down the natl debt fast enough for me...but that's a personal opinion.

The only two choices I liked from the 'short list' that was being bantered about were Ryan and McDonnell of VA. He's done a lot to turn VA around in the two years he's been our Governor and got us back to a surplus and might have helped Romney retake the state. I still think that will happen.

One other thing I have been concerned about with Ryan being picked is that he is such a financial genius that I worried about his spot in the House being taken by someone who won't have that kind of know-how, but the upbeat part is that as VP he will be the deciding vote in the Senate if a tie occurs on a vote there.

The liberals have all complained about the Ryan Plan/Bill for various reasons, but since it's never been put to a vote in the Senate, there hasn't been any chance for amendments being brought forth either. The Plan isn't written in stone but it never stood a chance for changes by the other side either, and since the Dems never came up with their own plan, it never made sense to me that it got slammed as badly as it did when if the Dems had come up with their own plan we might have finally gotten some kind of compromise between the two parties by blending the two.

Collapse -
RE: Paul Ryan, financial genius?
by JP Bill / August 11, 2012 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I love this man

An opposing point of view.

The liberals have all complained

Is this guy a Conservative? he claims to be (Attorney, blogger, political enthusiast. Principled Originalist, Uncompromised Conservative, and Republican Redefined.) And he's complaining? Not only liberals?

Paul Ryan Budget Genius Sucks at Math - Proposal Doesn't Add Up

You'll need this first for some context... It's from that wonderful idea that was the Pledge to America.

"We will put government on a path to a balanced budget and pay down the debt with a plan to ... Cut government spending to pre-stimulus, pre-bailout levels saving at least $100 billion in the first year alone."

Representative Ryan has spent months talking about "double counting" and "playing with numbers" and that is precisely what he is doing here. He's talking about a proposed budget that never came to fruition and he's talking about budget cuts that a five year old could tell you don't add up to $100 billion.

Man up or shut up Mr. Ryan. You're geeky gimmicky little math routine is wearing out its welcome. Fast.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Mitt. Send him back and try again.
by Steven Haninger / August 11, 2012 12:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
This all fits into my plan
by James Denison / August 11, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

for me and Pinky to take over the world! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) I thought *you* were Pinky !! Rob, smiley face here.
by Ziks511 / August 12, 2012 2:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
All about Medicare so far...prediction
by Steven Haninger / August 12, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

Obama will announce something soon designed to appease seniors and/or those about to retire.

Collapse -
Video of Ryan mocking a 71-year-old....
by Josh K / August 12, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

.....who's worried about having his SS and Medicare taken away from him. Ryan calls them "entitlement programs" despite the fact that we pay into them with every paycheck. This man is very angry about potentially losing benefits he's been paying into his entire working life and Ryan jokes about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhdXfCdaA8&feature=youtu.be

Collapse -
There will always be those
by Steven Haninger / August 12, 2012 11:47 PM PDT

who swear by and those who swear at. Maybe these kind of incidents could have been avoided had there been better planning in the beginning or changes made earlier when potential problems were seen. Maybe we'd be better off discussing whether some programs are broken but haven't been addressed.

Collapse -
That may all be true....
by Josh K / August 12, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

.....but the issue here is Ryan's apparent callousness when confronted with someone who would be impacted by cuts in those programs.

Collapse -
I'd have to say that the real issue is whether or not
by Steven Haninger / August 13, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

Medicare needs to be reviewed as to its effectiveness and sustainability. Neither an angry outburst from a senior citizen or a blood pressure medication quip from the presenter changes that. We shouldn't dismiss the concern based upon either, IMO.

Collapse -
I'd love to see a strong attempt
by James Denison / August 13, 2012 1:05 PM PDT

by all seniors to file a class action suit against the federal govt to redress the wrongs caused by malfeasance of that program over the years.

Collapse -
Not sure if you noticed the date of that video
by TONI H / August 13, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

Sept 2011.....Ryan's plan has already been amended either since then or had been just shortly before that date to give seniors UNDER the age of 55 a choice to stay on Medicare or choose something else. NOBODY 55 or over would be affected by the changes. Since the video is very short and you can't see anymore of what Ryan had to say, he may have been there trying to tell people about those changes when he was interrupted by this man who didn't have the patience to listen to the whole speech before getting angry. He was already angry right off the bat without hearing anything....he came with an agenda to disrupt and not pay attention. I do know that the first plan was defeated in the Senate in 2011 and the plan was being amended to present again in 2012 but not sure if Reid has tabled it like he normally does with anything the House brings to them.

That said.......Social Security isn't being touched in his plan but the Democrats won't tell you that. They are still claiming that Ryan plans to 'gut' it, which is why seniors are being panicked needlessly by this administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Path_to_Prosperity

>>>>Social Security

Social Security receives no changes in the proposal compared to the baseline. The CBO states that "spending on that program is projected to be relatively stable as a share of GDP from 2030 forward.">>>>

And I hate to break the news to you Josh, but both programs have turned into 'entitlement' programs based on the amount paid in by an individual (and equal amounts paid by their employers for the same period of time) and what they actually wind up collecting. What is actually paid in by the individual is tiny per paycheck compared to what they receive, and what they actually paid into the system is only HALF of what is collected each year because the employer is required by law to pay an equal and matching amount. Maybe if people had to pay the whole 6.5% instead of half of that, they could actually have something to complain about. Social Security was NEVER intended to be the SOLE income for retirees, but that's what too many have come to believe and expect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.