Phones forum

Question

do verizon phones allow you to use 4g in other country?

by lugafe / January 26, 2015 3:37 AM PST

Hi, ive bough several phones in ebay for friends and family from verizon network. We are using them here in Mexico with local sims and they work perfectly, but a friend told me that the only problem is that i wont be able to use the 4g because the phones are from verizon, that if i buy them unlocked from at&t they will work with 4G. There is no way for me to find out because the network that im with dosent have 4g in this reagion but eventually it will be here sometime this year. I want to be 4g capable when this happens and my question is if this is true or will verizons phones work with 4g? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: do verizon phones allow you to use 4g in other country?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: do verizon phones allow you to use 4g in other country?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Cnet kind of slams this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2015 4:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Yes, but it truly depends on which phone you choose
by Pepe7 / January 26, 2015 5:01 AM PST

AFAIK, Mexico is also using Band 2 or 4 for LTE, at least in some areas where it already exists/is built out. Verizon should have phones that would cover those bands, but buying via ebay is probably the worst way to suddenly find out your phone doesn't contain the frequency band it is supposed to. Model and serial number check would be in order from the actual physical device in question. There may not be much 700MHz in use in Mexico, but probably plenty of 1900 & 1700 service for LTE (data), plus UMTS for voice (roaming). Not sure about CDMA in MX though.

The following resource should help a little-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Collapse -
LTE in Mexico
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 26, 2015 11:26 AM PST

It is not widely available for most of Mexico. There are are some specific requirements: The phone most support the required LTE bands, the local carrier must allow roaming customers to use the LTE to name a few.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?