TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do SD channels always look bad (grainy) on HD Tvs????

I am having trouble viewing SD channels on my Magnavox 42" LCD HDTV. I am using the Directv SD receiver/DVR.

I just went over to Radio Shack at lunch. The salesperson there was nice enough to show me all of his LCD sets on both HD and on SD channels. All channels were coming through a Dish Network HD receiver and HDMI cabling.

The SD channels looked just as bad on all of his LCD sets as they do on my Magnavox 42" LCD. He told me that it was going to be like that until everything gets into HD. So, if all of his display sets looked grainy and unclear on SD channels, is there anything at all that I can do to improve my picture quality on SD signals? I had considered upgrading to the Directv HD receiver with HDMI cabling, but based on what he showed me, that will not help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do SD channels always look bad (grainy) on HD Tvs????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do SD channels always look bad (grainy) on HD Tvs????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes but.....

In reply to: Do SD channels always look bad (grainy) on HD Tvs????

turning off lots of the menu setting can help, if your tv
has a 'noise reduction' setting like my sxrd leave that on.

It maybe part direcTV box, because before I got my tv I went to BB & had them show me what SD looks & they where using Hd directv box. The image was sooo bad, almost unwatchable. When I did get the tv & hooked up my SXRD to a SD dishnetwork DVR Box, the tv looked almost same good as it did on my Sony HD CRT did.
& now the CRT TV is in another room hooking up to a SD NONE dvr dishnetwork box & the setting are the same when I had it & now it looks much worse. The DVR box has a better processor.

LCD tvs' are the worse at handling SD.

& NO channels are NOT going HD, just digital there is a BIG diffrence. Since you have DirecTV that will not affect that part of your TV life since that is a Digital signal Now anyway. If you use an OTA antenna that is where the changes will be seen the most.

Collapse -
Cool Aid effect.

We all know how to make Cool Aid:
One pack of Cool Aid, two cups of sugar, two quarts of water!
Drink and enjoy the sugar rush, rotting teeth, etc. But I digress.
Now add two more quarts of water. It will still have some color and some taste.
But won?t be the same as it was before.
This is sort of what happens when you watch SD video on a HDTV.
The SD video(480i) is spread out over the 720p or 1080i/p screen
Some HDTVs are better than others at displaying SD video.
Some work better component cables, some work better with HDMI.
Sadly, this craps shoot! John

Collapse -
A lot depends on the signal...

I have DirecTV, and I believe that some channel feeds are much more compressed than others. My guess is that the big networks pay for more satellite bandwitdth (less compression) and the little guys get stuck with high compression and video that doesn't look much better than youtube. So it isn't all the TV's fault.

Collapse -
my Sony...

In reply to: A lot depends on the signal...

xbr970 HD CRT looks great viewing anything from 480i to 1080i.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
Does anyone else have a good SD picture

In reply to: my Sony...

Does anyone else out there have a good SD picture on something other than the Sony?? Sports programs seem to be the worst for me.

Collapse -
SORRY, I HAVE A SONY CRT.

In reply to: Does anyone else have a good SD picture

river.

Collapse -
samsung

my samsung hls6187w has a solid sd picture. but its a dlp, not a lcd. even sd hockey and bball look good. p.s. the sd picture is always gonna look worse after watching hd.

Collapse -
My SXRD. . .

is close to perfect on SD broadcasts and perfect on HD.

Collapse -
Standard def channels

I hope this helps, even though I own a plasma tv, the standard channels do not look as good as hd channels on mine. This is something that I realized, If a corporation and/or the government is trying to push a new product, do you really think that they are going to make the old product look as good in a new product that they are trying to promote? I know that you have sd channels on your lcd, but try getting hd. I have directv as well. If you do not like the hd channels, then return the equipment. Now that you own the tv of your dreams, try to get the best out of it. You will probably like the high def channel. I was the same way when I compared my sd channels to hd channels, I was disappointed. I hope that this was helpful.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.