HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Do Operating systems really get tired?

by PorkyJJ / May 18, 2013 1:46 PM PDT

When I ask that question I'm actually refering the what makes an OS work I am not referring to any possible virus etc.

I've always used, and liked, XP pro for years. I've heard both good and bad about Windows 7 & 8 but I'm so used to XP I'd just as soon stick with what I know.

I had one IT type person who suggested that your operating system can get old and certain functions fail or hiccup. He suggested that a reinstall is good at least once a year and just copy of your original drivers and data (files).
Is that true that an OS can die from old age or" fatigue"?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do Operating systems really get tired?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do Operating systems really get tired?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not really.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 18, 2013 8:16 PM PDT

But they tend to clutter up somewhat, but it's never fatal unless you mistreat it by installing malware or running too many background programs you don't need.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
No
by Jimmy Greystone / May 19, 2013 2:54 AM PDT

No, that IT person is full of it. If we eliminate viruses and other kinds of malware, then your computer will operate at the same speed on its last day as it did its first day. What many people fail to take into account is the change in our perceptions. When we first get a new computer, it's usually significantly better than the old one, so it seems really fast. Gradually we become accustomed to the new computer's performance, and it becomes the new normal. So all you have to do is just go use an old computer for about a week. When you use the newer one again, it'll be like that first day all over again.

There is so much bad, and just plain odd, information floating around about computers. I sometimes visit cell phone related forums to check if there's a new version of the custom ROM on my phone. I want to just smack the people who think that formatting a drive multiple times will somehow get things that were missed the first go around. Then there's all the people who swear up and down that lithium ion batteries suffer from memory like the older nickel cadmium batteries did. A lot of these things might have been true once, but haven't been for years, maybe even decades. It just takes so long for the correct information to filter down to the masses that we're usually 2-3 things beyond when we catch up to where we are today.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.