TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DO NOT PURCHASE A PANASONIC PLASMA

Just a warning, our plasma was purchased in 2007 and now has black bar on screen in lower right corner (if facing tv). At minimum it will cost $350 to repair. Told it was c board or display issue. Panasonic was of no help, 1 year warranty on tv. Model number is TH42PZ700U.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DO NOT PURCHASE A PANASONIC PLASMA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DO NOT PURCHASE A PANASONIC PLASMA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So what you're saying is?

In reply to: DO NOT PURCHASE A PANASONIC PLASMA

I wonder if you are saying the set can't be repaired or if the warranty was not honored?

Every once in awhile you find folk that want it fixed from free. If we take this reasoning to other products I wonder if this don't buy list would encompass all producers today.
Bob

Collapse -
Dpm

In reply to: So what you're saying is?

It can be repaired, however if it is a display issue, it is not worth it to repair it. I think the tv should have lasted longer than 3 years. I purchased it August of 2007. The tv came with a 1 year warranty.

I do not expect anything for free.

Collapse -
Don't expect anything for free

In reply to: So what you're saying is?

I purchased it at the latter end of 2007, I did not expect it to burn out this quickly. It can be repaired, but the cost is simply not worth it, especially if it's a display issue.

Collapse -
We all wish stuff would last much longer.

In reply to: Don't expect anything for free

There is a reason to extend the warranties. And here's the ugly truth. We asked for lower prices and got it. In turn the gear is being made as cheap as can be without regard to any "10 year design."

This is well discussed but read below where Pepe puts it so well. If we follow your advice all those other makes need to be avoided.
Bob

Collapse -
I would get P.... too if,

the TV needs repair one day after the warrenty ran out...but 3-4 years? Ok, how many years were you looking? I would think 3-4 is normal. 5-10 would be great...and lucky.

Collapse -
With that logic

Do not buy a Samsung, don't buy a Sony, don't buy a Ford, don't buy a Lexus, don't buy a GM, don't buy HP, don't buy Epson, don't buy an Ipod...

Oh wait things break down... never mind!!!***

***but for the Samsung part, yes they can suck it SillyGrin

Collapse -
The good thing

Sorry to hear you have a lemon ;(. The good thing is, you would not have to spend as much as you previoiusly paid for a new plasma of similar quality, if not better (arguably). You might consider throwing your current one on ebay heavily discounted with a disclosure and go from there.

Although you seem dubious of the Panasonic brand, you could do equally poorly by purchasing another brand. YMMV. Just keep that in mind. Panasonic and Samsung are really the only two valid contenders in that size/price range with the 1080p feature set/adequate PQ. Everyone else's plasma pales by comparison.

Collapse -
Yip..a lot less;

In reply to: The good thing

Just saw this at Fry's; 50" plasma for $499. 47" 1080p lcd for $699.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.