Mac OS forum

General discussion

Do Macbooks really run with Windows for FREE?

by jaysonmgm / August 22, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

I heard you have to pay just to use windows(I heard the bootcamp is just for demonstration) The Processor for windows cost $300 is this true? Or can I just download it online? And will it work if I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do Macbooks really run with Windows for FREE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do Macbooks really run with Windows for FREE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of course you have to pay to 'use' Windows.
by udayan71 / August 22, 2006 8:49 AM PDT

Boot Camp facilitates the ability to install Windows - nothing else.

What is this 'processor for windows' you talk of?

Whether a downloaded copy of Windows works or not is irrelevant since that is piracy and is not condoned on this forum or any other.

Udayan.

Collapse -
Microsoft charges for its OS too
by simoncroft / August 22, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

Just to reinforce what Udayan said, Apple has made it possible to run a Microsoft OS on its new machines. Microsoft makes its money from software so, yes, if you want to run Windows XP (for instance), it's up to you to obtain a licensed copy from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Install XP with BootCamp free download
by smileydub / August 23, 2006 12:38 PM PDT

Whether Windows XP Home or Professional, it must include SP2, and must all be contained in one CD. If you search hard enough, you can get an OEM CD for under $90. After that you need to download BootCamp free to help you install XP on your Mac. The Apple Knowledge Base website provides instructions.

Alternatively, you can install XP with the help of Parallels, a software that cost about $80.

Collapse -
The answer is yes and no.
by ffarg.cram / August 24, 2006 8:07 PM PDT

You can download the BootCamp software from Apple for free - this enables you to dual-boot your system so that you can install Windows XP. However you still have to buy a copy of Windows XP and install it. Neither Apple or Microsoft supports this and you'll probably have to get an anti-virus and anti-spyware application to protect your system (how come they don't mention THAT in those "I'm a PC - I'm a Mac" commercials?) I have mixed feelings about the whole thing - I have older Macs and I like the machines but I use PCs as well and being able to use both operating systems on a single machine sounds nice, but I'm not sure that it's as practical as they say.

Collapse -
It Depends
by robertmro / August 25, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

I have at least one PC program that I need to run on my MacBook Pro. Since there is no way that I'm going to cary around two laptops, it is not only practical but essential that I run Windows through BootCamp.

So far I have had no real problems and Apple has had an update to BootCamp that fixed some problems. But I have read in the BootCamp forum that some people are having trouble.

I don't use Parallels because I looked at the specifications and read a review, and it seems that program performance is better under BootCamp than it is with Parallels. The only annoying things is that the bootup in Windows and shut down is pretty slow. I'm sure that Apple is working on this.

Collapse -
Boot Camp for Intel Macs is currently free for the download
by agm4 / August 25, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

The answer is an unequivocable "Yes, at the present time".

And contrary to GraveDigger27's opinion, Boot Camp Assistant is very practical and easy to use. In fact, I prefer it over virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop for Intel Mac. Needless to say, VPC7/Mac does NOT work at all with the Intel Macs, nor will Microsoft rewrite it for the Intel Macs. VPC/Mac is DEAD as far as the Intel Macs are concerned.

Boot Camp Assistant is currently in Beta (Beta 2), and Apple offers it as a free download.

Whether they will offer it as a stand-alone download once Leopard is released is a different question, however.

It WILL be built into Leopard, as the finished product, so to use it once it comes out of beta, it will cost at least $129 (the normal price for a Mac OS), unless Apple provides it as a free, standalone product after it comes out of beta.

It is NOT necessary to purchase another copy of XP, UNLESS:
1) You have no copy of XP at all, or your copy is pirated.
2) Your copy of XP does not contain SP2 (but it is quite easy to slipstream SP2 into your current copy.)
3) Your copy of XP is NOT
a) a so-called "FULL OEM" (or "Generic OEM, manufactured by Microsoft), or
b) a "Full Retail" copy.

It IS necessary IF:
1) Your copy of XP is a BIOS-locked OEM, provided by the manufacturer of your Wintel.
2) Your copy of XP does not contain SP2. Again, it is a simple matter to slipstream SP2 into your copy if necessary.
3) Your copy of XP is a "Retail Upgrade" copy. Not possible to use such disks, since the Apple eject key is not accessible from within the XP installaton program.

I DO advise you NOT to use so-called "free downloads of XP". These are ALL pirated copies, and you will be UNABLE to activate such software, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE to pass Windows Genuine Advantage inspection, and make it IMPOSSIBLE to get ANY updates from Microsoft. All who use such software make it more difficult for everyone else who DOES use an authentic copy. It maked Microsoft OSes more expensive for us who do use genuine Microsoft software, and it keeps malware in circulation.

Anyone who uses XP should KNOW by now that you will have to provide decent AV protection. There are so-called "free" solutions, but in my experience, you get EXACTLY what you pay for. If you pay "nothing", you get "nothing".

And MAKE SURE of these five things:

1) Update XP IMMEDIATELY. There will be no need to immediately Activate it, unless you want to. You WILL have 30 days in which to try it out, before it refuses to start normally (It will only start in "Safe Mode" after the intial 30 days if you REFUSE to Activate it. I assure you, anyone who has used XP in "Safe Mode" did NOT enjoy it.)

NOTE: "Activation" is NOT "Registration". Registration is an OPTIONAL process, while "Activation" is MANDATORY.

2) Your AV solution scans ALL EMAIL when it is DOWNLOADED, not AFTER it is downloaded or WHEN you open it.

3) You MUST be sure to update your AV solution IMMEDIATELY, since the distro packages SELDOM have up-to-date virus signatures.

4) If you opt for a commercial product, I suggest you surf on over to http://www.wilderssecurity.com and get expert opinions on the best AV protection.

5) Last, but not least, make SURE you activate the XP firewall IMMEDIATELY upon installation of your OS, even BEFORE you go online (other than the Microsoft Update site) for the first time. This will protect you against Network viruses, which are CONTINUALLY circulationg on the Net. It has been found that an UNPROTECTED newly installed Windows will be infected by such viruses within 20 minutes of going online the first time. The XP firewall is completely sufficient for all incoming attacks. If you keep your XP partition virus/trojan free, you will not have to worry about dialers, etc, although several packages protect against such malware.

I won't go into the necessity to use safe surfing habits, since anyone should know that if they have half a brain.

Collapse -
Bootcamp confusion
by NM_Bill / August 25, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

The Bootcamp available now is a free beta.

The next Mac OS - 10.5 out next Spring will have Bootcamp incorporated within it natively. As always the new OS will be about $129.

A long time Macie, I look forward to it as the preview looks both elegant as to even more elegant integration, and also some fluff features.

Collapse -
Unfortunatly Windows controls a large portation...
by aec396 / August 25, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

A long story short I am and will always be a die hard Amiga fan I use to run Amiga and Mac software at the same time on my computer without poroblems in order to run the PC/Windows software I needed to purchase an upgrade card that had an Intel '286 CPU on it. I am using windows right now. Windows is pretty lame look at all the stuff that Commodore or Apple developed and brought to the market that Windows is still trying to do that those two companies did back in the late eighties (some before windows was even developed.) Don't try to run Windows crap on a MAC, Windows is what I am using right now and Windows sucks. One day SGI machines will be a lot cheaper than they are currently and we will be able to purchase something with a lot more power for a lot less. YOU SHOULD NEVER INSULT A MACINTOSH WITH THE INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS. I HAVE NEVER SCENE A VIRUS ON A MAC SO WHY INSTALL ONE!!!!!!!!!! Good day!

Collapse -
"portation" as in..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

"ex"
"trans"
"tele"

or something else?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) pretty sure he meant as in de-portation.
by udayan71 / August 25, 2006 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: "portation" as in..
Collapse -
Think that was Explo-
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: "portation" as in..

Nice to hear from one of our brothers on the cutting edge

Collapse -
Hey Fellas cut the responder some slack,
by sgtbrooks / August 25, 2006 11:16 AM PDT

I think he or she meant "portion".....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (NT lol. it's light-hearted humour, we know what he meant.
by udayan71 / August 25, 2006 9:46 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?