Samsung forum

General discussion

Do I Really Need to Buy the "Extended Warranty"

by mmerva / November 25, 2008 11:24 AM PST

I am about to purchase a samsung flat screen TV from Best Buy. I have narrowed my choices down to the LN46A550, LN46A500, LN40A550, LN40A500. My question for the forum is, do I really need to spend 160.00 on top of the purchase price to get the Geek Squad Black tie Protection? I guess it's all about peace of mind, but if I don't need to spend the extra $$$ I would rather not do so if I really don't need to.What are your thoughts? Any input/feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I Really Need to Buy the "Extended Warranty"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I Really Need to Buy the "Extended Warranty"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's up to you....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 6:31 AM PST

Normally, I don't comment on extended warranties - partially because it puts me in an awkward position. I hope some forum users will comment on this, and their experiences.

Here's how I would weigh this situation. You're investing money into a product. If something was to break, the repairs can be expensive. Samsung will cover the parts and labor on those models for a year. A third party warranty may be a good idea if you want to protect your investment (and give you some leverage for repairs), and if you run into a problem (spikes, surges) as well as physical or internal issues, you're covered.

That said, insurance isn't cheap.

Hope that helps. Forum members, can we give a few pointers?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Extended Warranty
by mmerva / November 26, 2008 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: It's up to you....

Thank you very much, I value and appreciate your feedback. After reviewing your feedback and some other postings from other consumers on various review boards, I have decided to purchase the extended warranty. You are correct, insurance does not come cheap but 170.00 for an additional three years of coverage (four years total) ends up being pennies a day which I think is more than fair. Only one incident in the next four years and the warranty will pay for itself (and then some). Have a great holiday!

M Merva

Collapse -
(NT) No problem!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 2:52 PM PST
In reply to: Extended Warranty
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.