PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Do I need two optical drives?

My PC clone currently has a Plextor PX-708A DVD-rewritable with a reported 40x cd-rom capability, and a Samsung SC-152L CD which is allegedly 52X. I kept both, because I figured that the 52x would install software faster. Someone recently told me that the Samsung isn't really necessary, and that the DVD drive will actually install software faster. Can that be true? Even if the DVD drive isn't faster, is there that much difference between 40x and 52x? I appreciate any comments on this issue.
Thank you,
Dan Cordoba

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need two optical drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need two optical drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do I need two optical drives?

In reply to: Do I need two optical drives?

"Even if the DVD drive isn't faster, is there that much difference between 40x and 52x" Not realy in the long run. Drives only run at full speed for short periods of time and it depends on what is happening in the PC at the time. If you play a lot of music CD's maybe keeping the CD-rom for that use. John

Collapse -
Looks like I only need one

Since I can play CDs on my DVD-ReWritable. and since the other factors are inconsequential, I think I will stick with just the DVD drive.
Thanks for the input.
Dan Cordoba

Collapse -
About speeds.

Collapse -
Too much information

In reply to: About speeds.

Thanks for the link, but from the other responses I got, I think its clear that there are little or no advantages to keeping both drives.
Thank you,
Dan Cordoba

Collapse -
if your a lazy gamer :)

most gamers with 2 optical drives just leave the dvd/cd for the game inside the drive so all you have to do is click the icon and your ready, no fiddling with cases and scratches and such and such.

konny

Collapse -
I'm not that lazy

In reply to: if your a lazy gamer :)

That's one aspect that I never even considered. However, I'm not much of a gamer, and I'm constantly swapping media into and out of the drives, so I think I will do fine with just the DVD Re-Writable.
Thanks,
Dan Cordoba

Collapse -
Up to you...

If all you plan to do is install s/w, pick the with CD drive you like. You needn't have both, that's optional. But, since one is DVD, you may want to keep that, more so if its a burner. The higher end drive should seem to be better but overall its not much of a difference. As it stands, having both installed isn't a total waste of resources. The only cavet is that both drives suck up power and if one drive will do all the needs you want of it, then keep one. Save the other case and noted here and other forums, CD drives do fail, save as a replacement.

I have dual CDs installed and like both, one for burner s/w used, second because the other is DVD and plays my media requests. The DVD drive isn't a burner, but that's me.

If you're happy, do what you need. Don't get too nit-picky as the difference other than stated are slight.

enjoy -----Willy

Collapse -
That makes perfect sense

In reply to: Up to you...

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. I will keep the DVD-ReWritable installed, and remove and save the 52X CD drive as a backup.
Thank you
Dan Cordoba

Collapse -
Ever do any copying?

Two drives makes it easier. I have a Pioneer dual layer DVD-RW drive and a Sony CD-RW drive. They take up minimal resources (almost none when idle), pull minimal power from my power supply, and just look nice. And two drives comes in handy when copying all the illegal software I have (JUST KIDDING!) But the two drives makes copying much easier.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Right on Wayne....

In reply to: Ever do any copying?

I have a DVD-ROM drive in one bay and a CD-RW burner in another bay. Except for making a CD, I use the DVD-ROM drive for playing all games and other CD programs, that way saving the wear & tear on the burner.

I have an inexpensive DVD burner that will rewrite on any DVD+-RW or CD-RW media, and I will install in the third bay soon, but will still use the DVD-ROM drive for everything except burning.

Gee Wayne, even most of those legal CD games will not duplicate right...eh????

Collapse -
And. . .

In reply to: Right on Wayne....

I have another dual layer DVD burner in an external USB-2 case. Too many toys.

Duplicate? Copy? Me?

Collapse -
Speaking of external .......tremendous sale in Sunday

In reply to: And. . .

newspaper Circuit City flyer. A external WD 80GB 7200RPM hard drive for $39.95. I bought that particular one on sale there two months ago when it was marked down from $99.99 to $69.99. It works great, has USB 2.0 connection and seperate 110v power. Is already formatted, also has a on/off button and a button for backup. Comes with a CD with the drivers. Very easy to hook up. I took a lot of games off my 100GB drive and put on the 80 and just turn it on only when I want to play games on it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Err.....price is after mail-in rebate. I got mine.

In reply to: Speaking of external .......tremendous sale in Sunday

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!