by tonnso / March 31, 2010 7:34 AM PDT

right so specs.
intel dual core processor 2.7 ghz
Vdata ram 2x 1gb
atx 500w power supply
160gb sata hdd
and the bane of it all
Asus p5kpl am in/gb mother board

now the problem. i just baought this mother board and got the processor with it im getting the 1 long 2 short beeps for video error i dont currently have a video card installed im trying to use the internal. im hoping you experts out there can give me a miracle fix so i dont have to replace the mother board i know its relatively cheap but im an unemployed student so replacing really isnt a good option.
thanx for your help Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: do i need to replace?or is there a fix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: do i need to replace?or is there a fix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
" be sure to include all your system info, including..."
by Brechan / April 3, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

the operating system"

It would really help if we had which O/S you're using; because if I go to the ASUS support site, it automatically wants to know which O/S you're using.
I figure you're probably having issues with a missing (updated) video driver, so here is the link:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Just input click on 'motherboard', socket, model #, then click on what O/S you're using, this will take you to their 'download' page for everything (including BIOS, drivers, manuals, etc.)

Collapse -
Video related beeps mean no video card installed
by Steven Haninger / April 3, 2010 5:52 AM PDT

I've not seen this on MBs with an internal device but could imagine such if the internal video is defective or disabled. Did you check to see if it's disabled. Drivers won't cause beeps as these are hardware failures. Do make sure you are correct about the beep codes. Bad RAM is another common cause of beeps.

Collapse -
Thanks but how?
by tonnso / April 3, 2010 11:58 PM PDT

Thank you for your help so far but how would I check if it's desabled ?

Collapse -
You enter the BIOS while the PC is first starting
by Steven Haninger / April 4, 2010 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but how?

With ASUS cards I've seen, you just tap the escape key beginning right after power is applied. But, if it just beeps immediately, you won't get that far. If you can enter the BIOS, you need to look for the the option regarding on board devices. I can't tell you exactly where they are. If it is the video chip, these have sometimes been known to have solder connections go bad. There isn't much you can do about that unless you can find the bad connections (need magnification) and are very good with your soldering skills. If it is the video chipset, you can just get an add in video card. Bad RAM or the CPU can cause beep codes but you'd need a listing of those for your BIOS to narrow down the probable causes. Good luck.

Collapse -
not getting that far
by tonnso / April 4, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

im getting 1 long beep then 2 short it means a video error. so i get nothing on screen at all. i have no soldering skills with computers. if i go and buy a video card do you think that will possibly solve the problem?

Collapse -
If you're sure it's a video device error
by Steven Haninger / April 4, 2010 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: not getting that far

than trying a video card appears to be your only option. Hopefully the store will take it back if this doesn't work out but even a lower end graphics display card will offer video improvements over what you've become accustomed to.

Collapse -
hopefully
by tonnso / April 4, 2010 10:17 AM PDT

just have to go buy a graphics card apparently mine doesnt fit the bard sits to close to the case, any recomendations on a decent video card?

Collapse -
link for your particular mobo
by Brechan / April 4, 2010 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: hopefully

here's the ASUS link for your motherboard; it tells you what exactly will fit your board, the link is also for any and all downloads-just have to specify what O/S you're using.
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xs6iinKxu0y5agcg

htis page can take you to whatever you probably need for the board, just have to search on the site a bit.

Collapse -
AwardBIOS beep code indicates...
by Brechan / April 4, 2010 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: not getting that far

" The only that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems. "

This quote comes directly from Phoenix Technologies-Post Beep Codes

Collapse -
Fix
by tonnso / April 4, 2010 10:58 AM PDT

Will getting a card fix this then ?

Collapse -
Beep Codes
by Brechan / April 4, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but how?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.