Question

Do I need to install an Anti Glare filter for my LCD monitor

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Do I need to install an Anti Glare filter for my LCD monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Do I need to install an Anti Glare filter for my LCD monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
I would just add..

that you might want to consider an Optician's test, especially for computer monitor use. Whilst there may not be any need for spectacles, the optician will be able to recommend 'best practices' for sitting in front of a monitor all day.

If this is at work, your employer may pay for the test, but it won't be too expensive.

The suggestions I had were, keep the room well lit, so the eyes are not straining in the dark, and frequent intervals away from the monitor, say 5 minutes each hour.

I agree that anti-glare is unlikely to help matters. As I understand it they were originally thought to assist with CRT type monitors, but I doubt the same problems arise with LCD monitors.

Mark

- Collapse -
Further suggestions for consideration

With Windows XP,ClearType delivers improved font display quality over traditional forms of font smoothing or anti-aliasing. ClearType improves readability on color LCD displays with a digital interface, such as those in laptops and high-quality flat panel displays. Readability on CRT screens can also be somewhat improved.

- Collapse -
Answer
Just my guess that it won't help

In fact, it may degrade the image a bit causing more eyestrain. From the link you provided, the screen appears to be non-glare anyway. The bezel is shiny, however. 6-8 hours a day staring at any monitor would give me a headache. About all I can suggest, if you think the monitor is the issue, is experiment with brightness and contrast to see what affect that has. Putting anything in front of the screen is something I'd not want to try.

BTW, welcome to SE but this won't be the best forum for your question. You might try Peripherals in the hardware section.

- Collapse -
Trying Samsung's "Magic Bright"

Hi,

Thanks to all for your replies.

Yes, it seems like using an anti glare for an LCD is not a practical solution.

At the moment I am trying this feature called "Magic Bright" which basically adjusts the brightness/contrast levels. I have configure a button of the front panel to act as a shortcut for it, so that I can easily switch between the presets. I am using a moderate brightness/contrast setting called "standard" when I am using the monitor for net surfing, playing games and while using movies I am using a comparatively brighter setting because while watching movies I move to roughly 10 ft away from the monitor, that's where my bed is.

This monitor includes features called
Magic Eco
Magic Bright
Magic Angle
Magic Color

I didn't used this feature before because of the fact that only one of these can be activated at a time & I was already using Magic Angle which I still fell I need.

Sorry for not mentioning that I already have glasses (-4).

I use this PC for regular work & also as a HTPC so that's why the usage reaches 6-8 hrs.

It seems like Magic Bright is working at the moment.

CNET Forums