TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do i need to get an extended warranty for new HDTV?

by davecolarusso / May 3, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

i plan to buy a sony kdf 50e2000 as soon as the price has come down close to $1000. I need to know if i should buy and extended warranty and for how long? Also how much money should i be spending on a warranty for a product that cost about $1000?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do i need to get an extended warranty for new HDTV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do i need to get an extended warranty for new HDTV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For rear projections only - not plasmas or flat LCD's
by bob strongstein / May 5, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: .

See consumer reports - why not buy on credit card that extends manufactures warranty! These extended warranties run simultaneously with the original ? it?s like paying for something you all ready have - most dealers make more money on cables and warranties then they do on selling you the HDTV!

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 5, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

Well, if you would have actually read my link, you would have read that in-store warranties cover things NOT covered by manufacturers. Thats why most companies dont call their in-store warranties "extended warranties". BB calls them service plans, CC calls the protection plans; both because they do more than the manufacturer does. They run coinciding because of that same reason.

You are correct about companies making more money off of attachments and their in-store warranties, but it is not like they are totally screwing the customer. They get monetary protection in return as well as peace of mind, and yes that counts.

Collapse -
Well, jonnybones sells extended warranties & does a blanket
by NM_Bill / May 4, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

recommendation. I'd rather relate to the common sense relative risk basis that Consumer Reports used for their recent article. I don't have the reference at hand. Perhaps a basic search here would lead to a summary of it. Percentage chances of trouble in the first year, if believe, was the basis. Rear projection sets, with double or triple the repair chance of the most reliable would be the more prominant candidates for extended protection.

Your risk, your call. The fine Sony LCD mentiioned is of loweer risk due to both type & the brand reputation. Take it from there.

Collapse -
I got the..
by givemeaname / May 4, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

5 year Extended warranty for $199 from sony, for my A2000.

Collapse -
Absolutely
by thedjinn / May 4, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

Protect your investment with an "extended warranty"! Everything is made to be broken these days. Manufacturing is about putting out quantity, not quality.

Collapse -
the reality is... NO!
by woodygg / May 5, 2007 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely

if it's going to break, it'll almost always break quickly. that's the nature of electronics.

of course the downside is, IF it does break after the manufacturers warranty is expired, you're hosed. of course, by that time you'll want the bigger, better AND cheaper tv anyway...

i never buy the warranty.
why?
i work for an electronics manufacturer, and one of my jobs is to evaluate the warranty reserve we have set aside, so i have to analyze the failure rates over time, etc. not to mention i know how much money they make on those things!

Collapse -
Nice to have your post as by your insider knowledege &
by NM_Bill / May 5, 2007 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: the reality is... NO!

judgment. I must mention, though, that my poorly thrown together DLP had two major repairs just beyond the one year warranty. By the way, the repairs, once done, apparently corrected the set to how it should have been assembled initially. Like a charm ever since.

Collapse -
I'd pass on the extended warranty
by intrepi / May 4, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

Sony is a very reliable product and failures or problems with any product usually comes to show up within the first year. Consider $ 200 is 20 percent of your investment and extended warranties are usually limited which means you may or may not be covered depending on what they say at the time it happens. Personally, I'd walk away and save your cash for other extravagances. If you can wait a year, I do it as you will be able to buy something better for a lesser price as prices fall as the technology advances. Remember VCR cost when they first came out, about the same price as your HDTV and they weren't stereo or 5 head versions either. Same thing now can be had for less than a hundred with 5 heads

Collapse -
No, but you could double your mfg. warranty...
by grtgrfx / May 4, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

by purchasing your TV with a Gold MasterCard, VISA or American Express card. Almost every issuer has an add-a-year warranty policy for their better-tier cards if you finance the entire purchase with their card. See if one of your credit cards do.

Collapse -
No!
by allargon / May 6, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

Are you really thinking of spending $200 to risk saving $1000? Come on...

In-store/extended warranties are bigger rip-offs than additional insurance from an auto rental provider.

I can almost understand paying $200 for a warranty on a $4000 TV. That's just a 5% drop in the bucket. However, paying $200 on top of $1000 or even $2000 doesn't make sense from a risk reward standpoint. Stores know that. It's just pure profit for the store.

That $200 would be better spent on some DVD's and an upconverting DVD player.

Collapse -
Extended warranty is beneficial!
by georgeblack54 / October 25, 2009 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: No!

I have different views here, its not easy to buy a car or for that matter any luxurious item so frequently at least for single earning member in the family. Yeah, people like Donald trump wont go for it!!! Even I have taken EW on my dishwasher and LCD TV and luckily I had EW when my TV broke down few months back. So, it was really of great help to me.

I would say money will go out of your pocket either in the way of EW charges or repairing charges, so i think its better if it goes out in way of EW. At least you have that security and warranty. I got it from Consumer Priority Service, they have various plans and as a satisfied customer I can ensure they are up to their motive which is customer satisfaction.

This might help to change your views :
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Consumer.Priority.Service.800-905-0443

Collapse -
It's Up To You
by AJones4 / May 6, 2007 3:27 AM PDT

Before you consider an extended warranty, there's a few things you should ask yourself.

*If this product were to break outside of the manufacturer's warranty (say in a year and three months), could you afford to replace it?

*What is the cost of the service plan relative to the cost of the product? (10%-20% is generally considered "average".)

*What is the cost of the service plan relative to what it offers? (Does the product require routine maintenance? Does the product require consumables, like lamps, which are offered in the plan?)

*Do you get money back if you don't use the service plan?

I usually always buy service plans on my products. A while back, I figured out how much extra I had spent. It wasn't as much as I would have expected and, even though I generally buy good to great products, I have had a few repairs and even a replacement on a high-dollar item.

Ultimately, it's going to break down on your personal opinion. I like knowing that if I have a problem with my equipment, I can go back to my usual salesman who knows I have a service plan and knows my gear and he can take care of it without me having to dig in my wallet. That, to me, is worth spending that little bit extra.

Collapse -
Extended Warranty sometimes yes, sometimes no
by Starfleet_Odie / May 6, 2007 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: It's Up To You

I would agree with the last post by Ajones, it makes alot of sense and his advice seems to be based on logic not emotion. Here is my 2 cents worth.

I too worked in the industry (don't anymore) where I sold/dealt with manufactures/extended warranties on electronics and even more so on home theater devices, such as T.V's, receivers, speakers etc.. Some highend and some not so highend and everything in between for every major manufacturer you can think of from Sony, Mits, Denon, Yamaha, Panasonic, Toshiba, KEF, Energy, Polk, Klipsch and the list goes on and the 1 guarantee is that there is no guarantee.

There is absolutely no guarantee that your equipment will not break it truly is like gambling. But there is such a thing as a sucker bet and it goes both ways. For instance buying a $15 1 yr warranty on a $25 portable disc player may be considered a sucker bet. Or perhaps not buying a warranty on a T.V. that is still considered to be in its infancy with regard to the technology used to make it may also be a sucker bet. The notion that electronics get better after the 1st yr is ludicrous, meaning I cant tell you how many times a person has said "if its going to break it will break within the 1st yr" only to see them 1.5 to 2yrs later trying to argue his/her case to the store manager on why they should replace/repair it, in that case they gambled and lost. On the other hand i've never heard anyone go back to a store say 5yrs later when their extended warranty was up and argue to the manager that they should not have bought it. Can't really say why but it could be perhaps that after that amount of time they figured it was worth it.

There are things that I buy extended warranty on and there are things that I dont. Some of the things I consider are;

1. What does the manufacture warranty cover in relation to what the extended warranty covers. The 1st word before the manufactures warranty is the word LIMITED, I want to know what those limitations are. More often then not I've found that its limited to defective parts and workmanship and you will see things like, "we will replace a part with NEW OR USED at OUR DISCRETION" and they may or may not cover the labor involved with replacing that part because the parts warranty is 1yr but labor is only 90 days. Where as some extended warranties not only cover parts and labor equally but they also cover maintenance (which can be huge) and depending on the products they may also have a loaner program while your product is being repaired, not to mention some have even adopted some form of a no lemon program.

2. How long is the extended warranty and does it start after the manufatures warranty or do the benefits of the extended warranty start the day I purchase, it's different at different places. Also, how long is the warranty on the product I'm buying for example I've found that there are quite a few speaker manufactures that have 5yr manufacture warranties on them (not sure if thats still the case been a min since i've bought new speakers). In that case they better have a compelling ext warranty for me to buy it and it turned out they did. I bought the warranty on a set of speakers because the place I bought them from not only covered blown drivers but they also covered Sound Degredation meaning if I felt the speakers weren't performing the same they would replace the drivers for free for me anytime during that 5yr period no limitations and not only that but the benefits of that ext warranty started the day of the purchase and went through the manufactures 5yr warranty!! (yes i used it in both scenarios).

3. How new is the Tech or the tech that is used to make the device I am purchasing. This is a very important consideration. If its brand new tech (brand new being the key word) say only 2yrs old yet the manufatures warranty is only 1yr or less, ext. warr. maybe something to think about. Even when you buy a new car and it's say a new model yr you get at least a 3yr 36K mile warranty even though thats the defacto standard.

Whatever you decide, make your decision logically not emotionally, do a little research on the manufactures warranty and find out the benefits of the extended if it it makes sense buy it, if it doesn't make sense don't buy it and dont try and justify not buying or buying by basing your decision on a time you bought a warranty on something that is not even remotely close to what your buying now, remember logically not emotionally. Also, don't rely solely on the salespersons word, as he explains the ext warranty to you ask to see there ext warranty pamphlet and have him/her pointout even highlight the coverages they just told you about if they can't get a different salesperson, ask to speak with a manager or leave.

I know this is a long winded response but I hope that in some way it helps you.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 7, 2007 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Up To You

FINALLY, a sane person who doesnt live and die by CR

I would like to add that salesmen/women take better care of people who buy extended warranties, even bending over backwards sometimes just to accomodate them. I know it SHOULDNT be like this; all customers should be accomodated equally, but we all know that doesnt happen in real life.

Collapse -
Extended warranty?
by Steve7100 / May 6, 2007 11:06 PM PDT

I agree that it is a gamble either way, but if you are planning on keeping your set more than 2years than I think you should extend the warranty. I work in the service industry and 1 repair will set you back a minimum $500 (including labor). Extended warrantys can even include the $200 lamp used in these sets. One lamp and you have paid the price of the warranty.

Collapse -
Don't forget lamp replacement
by Ron Schroeder / May 7, 2007 2:57 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Sony KDS-60A2000. Here's the process I went through:
1. I researched on CNET and several other sites, so I was confident in the model I was looking for. (Sounds like you've done that)

2. I compared prices and reviews at online stores, (don't forget s/h & taxes) big stores like Best buy and Circuit City, and local stores.
I decided to go with the local guys because of their rep, price-matching and no delivery charge. I heard too many nightmares about shipping big, fragile items from online stores.

4. Buy HDMI and other connectors online (monoprice.com). The stores will charge way too much for these.

5. Now, I've saved enough to make the "extended warranty" look worthwhile. I'm not usually a big fan of these. But the plan I bought also included two new lamps over the next five years. At at least $200 a lamp, that made the sell for the $500 plan.

I ended up paying acouple hundred dollars below the MSRP for the Sony KDS-60A2000 of $2,999, that included all the cables I needed.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
No, you don't need one.
by AlbertW / May 7, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

No, you don't need one.

Collapse -
It all depends
by Tarlok / May 7, 2007 6:06 AM PDT

Getting an extended warranty could depend on a lot of things:

*How much usage are you looking to put into your TV?

*Are you careful with your electronics? Have any pets or kids around that like to tip things over for fun?

*Is the product you're buying reliable?

There are a lot of things to be considered, but I agree with what most have already mentioned. Most post-sale extended warranties are purely there to make extra profit for the store/company, and many don't get used. A $200 dollar warranty for a $1000 TV seems way too much to be justified. Besides a freak accident or chain of unfortunate series of events, if the TV you're planning to purcahse has that high of a chance of breaking within just its first year of purchase, then I think you need to ask yourself if you should really be considering that TV for purchase.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 7, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: It all depends

"if the TV you're planning to purcahse has that high of a chance of breaking within just its first year of purchase, then I think you need to ask yourself if you should really be considering that TV for purchase."

What if it's an industry wide problem like burn in or dead pixels? Does this still apply?

Collapse -
Nope
by Tarlok / May 7, 2007 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: .

Personally, I don't consider burn-in or dead pixels occuring to be the same as a TV breaking. My definition of a TV "breaking" is a TV not showing either any picture or sound due to component malfunction or damage. The common defects you listed are just things to consider when choosing what type of TV you want. I own a Samsung LNS4096D, and I've very happy with it, and although I chose a LCD over a Plasma for various reasons, burn-in wasn't one of those. On a side note, I was on a trip and visited a friend of mine recently who bought a Pioneer Plasma around the same time I bought my TV, and he had horrible burn-in issues with it. The weird part was, he had no such problems for months, but once he bought Guitar Hero II for the 360, he started noticing burn-in on his TV. Now, there is a fairly visible combo meter (bottom left) and pass/fail meter (bottom right) that appears everytime the TV goes black.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 8, 2007 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Video games will do that to you. We all know how easy it is to play guitar hero for hours and hours so i am not surprised. Did they get the extended warranty?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!