Computer Help forum

General discussion

Do I need to buy the $60 Disk Package from Best Buy?

by ksolkowi / December 1, 2008 12:42 PM PST

I went to purchase a laptop computer at Best Buy. The guy was insisting that we buy this $150.00 package where they give us disks(it doesn't come with any) install anti-virus stuff that they spend 5 hrs. to install for us, and he says since it is vista you can just downlaod this for free anymore. He said for $60.00 I need to at least buy the disks to be able to install it.

Is all this really necessary? Should I be able to create a DVD of the hard disk image?

Anyone know what the "optimization" is that they perform?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need to buy the $60 Disk Package from Best Buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need to buy the $60 Disk Package from Best Buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Absolutely not
by Jimmy Greystone / December 1, 2008 1:58 PM PST

Absolutely not is the answer to your question. Best Buy makes a lot of its money by selling these kinds of useless services to people who don't know any better.

I wouldn't pay the $150 to basically have them install an anti-virus program for you. As for whether or not you can make a DVD image of your own... I would shoot off an email to the manufacturer of the laptop you're looking to buy or bought, and see what they have to say. Also ask what they charge for restore media.

And while it's going to sound like I'm badmouthing Best Buy, and I suppose I am a bit... Just in general, those extended warranties and everything else they try and sell you along with something... Completely worthless. Maybe if you bought a big screen TV, and you don't want to have to make a claim on your home owners insurance if something happens to it... That's about the only real scenario in which it might be useful. Otherwise, complete waste of money.

Collapse -
What brand laptop is this? What operating system?
by Paul C / December 1, 2008 6:29 PM PST

1. Most store bought laptops come with either a "system restore" disk, which allows you to restore the PC to the way it was when you first took it out of the box, OR an operating system disk and a separate disk or disks for applications and drivers, OR they have a partition on the hard drive that can be used to create a set of restore disks. You really need nothing else except good backup and security software to get started; you definitely do NOT need Best Buy's "assistance," nor would I buy any PC that does not have one or more of the three things I just mentioned. The PC I'm using - also bought from Best Buy - had a restore partition on the hard drive AND an operating system disk.

2. With a good backup program, you can make a 100% image of your hard drive and save it to DVD - in fact, you should do that. As for antivirus software, most store bought PC's come with a trial version of some AV application; you can either pay to continue using that software or get your own - your call.

3. I'm not at all sure what it is that the Best Buy folks "optimize" on a PC; I am VERY sure that you don't need that "service." Save the $150.00. If the Best Buy clerk insists that you really, REALLY need this, then be aware that he/she really, REALLY needs to sell you that, as the profit margin on that is astronomical. That is what would be known to me as a dealbreaker, and is when I'd turn and quickly walk away...

Collapse -
(NT) What exactly is on that $60 disks?
by Kees Bakker / December 1, 2008 6:32 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?