HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Do i need to buy a OS when having a hard drive cloned?

by dt312013 / February 25, 2014 1:26 PM PST

I am wanting to clone the contents on my current hard drive to a new hard drive. I will probably have a PC tech do it for me. But they told me I have to provide a OS for the new hard drive. My current drive has an OS of course, so i was wondering why i need to buy an OS for the new drive. Everything i have read online about hard drive cloning does not mention a new OS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do i need to buy a OS when having a hard drive cloned?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do i need to buy a OS when having a hard drive cloned?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 1:33 PM PST

A clone will have an exact copy of the OS from the old drive.

However if you meant you wanted to use this on a new machine and keep using the old copy of the OS, then Microsoft's license may forbid such. Why is well discussed.
Bob

Collapse -
OK
by dt312013 / February 25, 2014 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: No.

Thanks Bob, thats what i thought. I will be using the new drive on the same computer, so thats why i was confused on why they told me to purchase a OS.

Collapse -
If you're still here . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 26, 2014 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: OK

Most new hard drives come with cloning software. All you need is an external USB drive case or a spare internal drive bay. You install the software, connect the new drive, run the software, and it does everything for you. No need to pay someone to do it.

Collapse -
Im considering....
by dt312013 / February 26, 2014 3:20 PM PST

Im thinking about doing it myself. As i've been researching the process, it seems easier than i thought it was. Guess im just afraid of screwing something up & losing all my data. But its a laptop hard drive that im going to be cloning. So i guess i need to find a sata to usb adapter, download the free Macruim software & go from there. it would be awesome not to have to pay someone to do it for me.

Collapse -
Why would you lose all of your data?
by glb613 / February 26, 2014 8:01 PM PST
In reply to: Im considering....

You should have a backup and preferably more than one copy of anything important.

Collapse -
Checkout...
by Willy / February 26, 2014 9:36 PM PST

I'll make this easy as possible. Buy a self-powered(AC) ext. USB "dock" setup. Drop your new HD into it and running the s/w provide the source & destination of data(instructions guide ?). Run it and allow it all the time it needs. As already explained to you if you buy a new HD in "kit form" should have all the stuff for ease of install. That means it has the s/w, docs/guide and cable/harness as required. If not and got only the HD itself, period you then need to visit the support website of HD manufacturer and get the s/w for your model# HD. I suggest usually WD and Seagate provide the best support in this regard. If you use freebie s/w or what makes you happy then be sure how to use it. This all works with a laptop setup and can easily be used later for other projects or remain with your "old HD" as a backup media. I recommend after such a new install allow several weeks to pass before you reformat or plan to re-use the old HD or keep it as is.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I have this one . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2014 12:20 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.