HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Do I Need These Updates Right Now

by DerfX / April 16, 2011 9:19 PM PDT

Good Morning, I know you guys hate people asking two questions in one thread but the two updates I am talking about would or could be installed together at the same time.

I use "Auto-Update" on this laptop and I have accepted and installed every update that WU has suggested as necessary. But I occasionally check the site to see if anything new is out there and I found two this morning. WU has suggested that it is important that I consider the Windows Service-Pack 1 for Win 7 x64 and at the same time, they are also suggesting IE-9.

If I understand these Service-Packs correctly, they are just a "collection" of all the updates I may already have installed. And as far as IE-9 goes, I have IE-8 working great and I was wondering if it might be a good idea to wait and make sure they have all the bugs worked out before installing it. I would just like to know if there are any important safety features that I might be missing if I don't do these updates right away. I appreciate any ideas on this subject, thank you.

PS: I am using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.9 on an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60 GHz & 4.00 GB of (RAM) and a 64-bit OS with Windows 7 Home Premium with Internet Explorer 8.0.7600. 16385 Cipher Strength on a

I am using Open Office 3.2.0 OOO320m12 (Build:9483)

DerfX has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I Need These Updates Right Now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I Need These Updates Right Now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by DerfX

Collapse -
Yes and up to you
by Jimmy Greystone / April 16, 2011 10:35 PM PDT

Yes, and up to you, in that order.

Service packs should always be installed in short order of their release. They often contain additional patches that were not previously released, so installing them is always a good idea.

Using Internet Explorer however, is NEVER a good idea for any amount of time. Unless the goal is to put your system at greater risk of a malware infestation or worse. You can take your pick between the alternatives of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera, but you should really pick one of those over IE for security reasons alone.

And the way things work, is the IE9 you'd download today is the same IE9 you would download a year from now. They will inevitably be releasing security updates for it as time passes, but they will not alter the initial distribution once it is released into the wild. You'd probably be wise to install IE9 soon, maybe after you've installed SP1 and things seem to be working okay. Then move to another browser entirely. Since plenty of programs use the IE rendering engine, you should generally have the latest one installed because it's likely to be the most secure. That's not exactly saying a whole lot with IE, but you should take whatever meager improvements you can get.

Collapse -
(NT) No Problems with Install of SP1 & IE9
by DerfX / April 17, 2011 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes and up to you
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.