Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Do I need the SP2?

by mike62 / February 26, 2006 11:33 PM PST

I am running XP Home Edition with IE 6.0 and have not added either the SP1 or SP2. I attempted the SP1 when it came out and started having problems with my computer and ultimately uninstalled it and the problems cleared up. However, I am willing to try again I will just set a restore point for sure. My question is do I need the SP2 as well? Or is it more for IT people?

Also, does one of those versions not come with a firewall? I currently use a purchased version of ZoneAlarm and am pleased. If Microsoft does come with the firewall will I have the option of disabling it? Or is it superior to ZA?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need the SP2?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need the SP2?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I did. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Do I need the SP2?

In SP1 I need the USB 2.0 support. But we found that we couldn't chkdsk USB 2.0 drives until SP2.

For us, we can't do without SP2.

-> In most cases the issues I see are spyware and pest related. Microsoft did not expect that on the machines and we saw a lot of complaints that were not due to Microsoft.

If your machine is not spic and span (free of pests) then you will have issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:56 PM PST

Do you need SP2? Short answer = Yes.

Long answer;

SP2 included a lot of safety and security features not present on Windows XP prior to SP2, and these become more critical as time goes by. The Windows Firewall was introduced, a beefed up version of the Internet Firewall prior to SP2. The Security Center was introduced that managed any anti-virus and 3rd party firewall installed, and managed future updates. Certain changes were made to Internet Explorer to make it more secure, and a lot more internal work was done. As time goes by, support for pre-SP1 and eventually pre-SP2 Windows will decline and stop altogether.

I notice that you don't even have SP1. I wouldn't bother with SP1 and go straight to SP2. It includes everything SP1 has. But, like Bob says, your computer as got to be squeaky clean before SP2 will install correctly. That means no viruses, no spyware, no trojans, nothing. So you would do well do review what you use against viruses, spyware etc, beef them up if necessary, and scan everything to clean any nasties out from the deep recesses of your computer.

Make sure your BIOS is uptodate, and any drivers are up to date. Your PC manufacturer will help with the BIOS and will have information about upgrading to SP2.

Make sure everything works beforehand; eg try a System Restore, carry out error checking and defragmenting. Backup everything that you find is essential and cannot be lost.

Grab a whisky, or a coffee if you don't drink, some spare time, and take the dive.

The new Security Center should recognise that you have a valid version of ZoneAlarm, (I don't think it recognises anything before version 5), and should turn off the Windows Firewall. If it doesn't, you can turn it off through the Control Panel.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
About the firewall in SP2. It's very basic and has an off..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 12:04 AM PST

Zone Alarm will automatically do that for you.

-> But be sure that nothing has changed in the service packs. If you had issues before and your machine is in the same condition you will repeat the problems.

It's not funny to some that Microsoft didn't clean up the service packs. Why should they? The problems from what I experienced were pests and damaged systems. The Service Pack does not fix such things but only highlights the problems.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!