Desktops forum

General discussion

Do I need registry cleaner?

by AnnJonson / January 20, 2010 5:13 PM PST

Hello,

Lately I am facing some very weird RunDLL32 errors while I am trying to run programs I need for work. Also some shortcuts are blank, and no longer point to correct application.

Here is image of screenshot I took: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3414/rundll.png

Some of my so-called tech friends have recommended me to install good antivirus with built-in firewall, which I already have (Kaspersky 2010) and get some good registry cleaner software.

Since I am a tech newbie, I've been checking many reviews like http://fixexe.com/best-5-registry-fix-and-repair-tools/ and most of them seem to recommend Registry Easy, or ACA Utilities.

I hope you guys can advise me what registry cleaner to choose, if choose at all? Happy

Any help would be more than welcome!

Thanks,

Ann D

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need registry cleaner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need registry cleaner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Do I need registry cleaner?
by Tufenuf / January 20, 2010 10:04 PM PST

Ann D, Which version of Windows are you using?

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

As far as a registry cleaner if you're not familiar with the registry stay away from them as they can do more harm than good.

Which programs when you try to run them cause the error message?

You can easily create new shortcuts.

There are many hits on this problem at the link below.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+host+process+has+stopped+working&meta=&aq=0&oq=windows+host+process+h

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Recommend...
by Willy / January 20, 2010 11:35 PM PST

Unaware of the cleaners you mentioned. However, I have good success with CCleaner. On its defaults it does a pretty good job. You can change some setting but overall just at default setting will do a very good job. Its a freebie and has gotten good press on its usefulness, so enjoy its use. As for using registry cleaners in general, they shouldn't be constantly engaged, just a once in awhile use is fine. You can then clean or fine tune your system if required. No mention of what your OS is, etc., but take heed and proceed 1 step at a time, use the restore feature and create a save point.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Do I need a registry cleaner
by squeeze / January 22, 2010 11:48 AM PST

Hi Ann, I have used CCleaner many times, and had limited success with the registry part. I have yet to really "see" any major advantage to using it. The computers that I have used it on showed little difference in speed of operation or booting. One issue that I have come up with that I am not positive I can attribute it to is System Restore. After using the registry cleaner on several computers I was unable to use the System Restore feature. The only thing I can link as common to all the computers is CCleaner. So I can only issue a Caveat on the registry cleaner part of it. I currently use System Mechanic Pro and use their registry tools and so far I have had no issues. In my experience of staightening out computers, I have found that the usual 4 antispyware tools with the usual system clutter cleaners did more for me than registry cleaners ever did. The major problems I encounter are usually the result of expired/outdated software, particularly the Anti-virus and/or OS. Hope this helps you out a little.

Collapse -
What OS are you using?
by pamelad / January 23, 2010 2:39 PM PST

The free version of CCleaner (a.k.a. "Crap Cleaner") is a safe and effective program for Windows XP, SP 3, when set at defaults for cleaning your registry if that's what you need to do. But I don't know what operating system you are using.

Make sure you have an effective anti-virus program. In addition, check for malware. I use the freeware versions of Spybot and Ad-Aware. They each find things the others do not recognize.

Collapse -
CCleaner is *WinALL*... :D
by Shadowhawk909 / February 7, 2010 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: What OS are you using?

CCleaner is excellent for cleaning the junk accumulated from the internet :), but I *recommend tweaking* the app, as it'll do a lot better for anyone using it. Here is what's needed:

[1] Once opened, click on the *Options* button, then the *Settings* button at the top.

[2] [CHECK] the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th boxes

[3] *Secure Deletion*: here, you want to set your "cleaning passes" to *GUTMANN (35 passes)*... this setting will "scrub/wipe" EACH junk file it encounters by A)replacing the file w/ Zeros, then B) deleting the file... it does this "35" times, therefore leaving NO trace of the files when finished.

[4] *Wipe Free Space Drive(s): make sure your MAIN HD is checked, followed by the box "below" it, marked "Wipe MFT Free Space".

[5] Now, go down to the *ADVANCED* button on the left side, then [check] the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th boxes.

Now your CCleaner is *ready* to "thoroughly remove* junk files that may have been giving you issues in the past... With "these" adjustments to the *settings*, your sys will "take a bit longer" to clean/fix issues on your system at first, but this is only because the "Default" settings "only make 1 pass", which fails to *scrub/delete* junk files completely.
>> On the *Spybot* note: Spybot(v1.6.2), also has *Advanced* settings that should be *tweaked* for "it" to run at it's best as well. I don't know why they don't make these adjustments "By Default", because there are "6 engines" that "need to be running" when searching for MAJOR malware using the application.

If there are any questions on "virus removal", I would be happy to answer :D... I've been *cleaning* systems since 1996, and have been *working* w/ systems since 1979.

~Shadowhawk

Collapse -
voodoo
by jancawa55 / March 19, 2010 9:26 PM PDT

To paraphrase my favorite guru, Leo LaPorte, all of these reg cleaners are crap. I have used most of them at one time or another, including PCMatic that I got suckered on. I never see a lick of difference with any of them, CCleaner too. While your computer is fairly new and working the way you want it to, make an image, save it and reinstall annually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.