Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Do I need MSXML. . .

by Coryphaeus / September 15, 2007 7:25 AM PDT

on my four XP machines?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need MSXML. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need MSXML. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need No, Want Maybe
by Jackson Douglas / September 15, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Do I need MSXML. . .

You don't need this update, but it might be a worthwhile thing to install. Of course it's main function is for Internet Explorer, which you shouldn't be using in the first place, so, it's really up to you.

Collapse -
C'mon, Jackson. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 15, 2007 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Need No, Want Maybe

Don't beat around the bush, you don't care for IE? Wink

Just trying to do a little clean up on the machines and noticed it. Yeah, I've been using IE since Windows. I've tried the others, all of them, even forced myself to use Firefox for a long time. But they just don't have the feel of IE. My machines are squeaky clean and I run my Anti-Parasite Suite (from my site).

Thanks for the info,

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Not quite
by Jackson Douglas / September 15, 2007 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: C'mon, Jackson. . .

It's not that I don't care for IE... I really don't care about it one way or the other... It's that it has numerous security problems, and despite your good fortunes, scores of other people have not been as lucky. One doesn't need to look beyond these forums to find all the evidence you could need. So, rather than tell people how to make IE safe, which largely requires neutering it of all its useful functions, it's just easier to tell them to use something else.

Besides, I think it would be great if Firefox, Opera, and IE all shared about 1/3 of the total browser market. From a purely selfish standpoint, it would mean that I could change browsers on a whim, and not have to worry about whether or not some page would work with it. Malware peddlers would have to work a lot harder to infest systems with their crap, and the other two browsers would always be there to keep the third from getting too far out of line. It'd be a great thing, not that many people ever manage to get past the fact that I'm promoting IE alternatives, and think that maybe there's some reasoning behind it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?