PC Applications forum

General discussion

Do I need Microsoft Antispyware?

It slows down my computer and never finds any spyware that ad aware and spybot do. Should I keep it for the real time agents or dump it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need Microsoft Antispyware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need Microsoft Antispyware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: MS Antispyware

In reply to: Do I need Microsoft Antispyware?

The best option is to run all three, just to be sure that you catch every piece of spyware on your system. Afterall, no program is perfect. In addition, its real-time scanner adds a type of protection not found in Adaware (unless you purchase the full version).

You need to weigh the value of the system resources it's using versus the benefit it has provided. For me it has barely put a dent in my system resources (even during a full scan), and in return caught numerous more spyware installations than Adaware and Spybot combined. Personally, I'd recommend keeping it installed. However, if it has not caught much spyware, and you feel the other programs have provided sufficient protection, it may be best to uninstall it and apply the system resources towards something else.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: RE: MS Antispyware

It hasn't found any spyware since I installed it, but I think I'll keep it just in case.

Collapse -
Try Spyware Blaster

I admittedely have never used MSAS (I do run 3 spyware scanners each week tho).

I use Spyware Blaster from JavaCool to stop spyware downloading and have Spybot's Immunization enabled. I have never had a browser hijacker or had a nasty piece of spyware execute itself since doing this (both CWS and Xupiter have showed up in scans-- possibly there even before I began using Spyware Blaster, as they both never showed on my usual scanners), but neither ever executed in any way (maybe due to my firewall-- I habitually deny access to "strange" MS attempts such as svchost and things like that).

In any event, once I began using Spyware Blaster, I went from scanning out 10-15 threats per week to maybe finding 3 per week now, and those are almost always just tracking cookies (except for that dreaded Xupiter which also showed on a friend's pc the same day-- they figured a way around Spyware Blaster for a day I guess).

Collapse -
I also use

In reply to: Try Spyware Blaster

SpywareBlaster,I have the M$ anti spy downloaded to my HD. I didnt like it starting up with my pc so I un-installed it. It's there if I need it though. Since I use the zone alarm firewall and use firefox for browser I havent got infected with anything. Knock on wood.

Collapse -
An Expensive Business!

The Microsoft Anti-Spyware offer still in its beta version was a responce reportedly by Microsoft to the many needs that the computing community expressed a real desire for,that was a cry for greater security and even privacy rights.Though this is in a manner of speaking does fit with the SP2 update with more to come,the obvious here is that this anti-spyware application is a freeware offer.The other contributing element is weather or not we are dealing with a reliable commodity,in the Microsoft Anti-Spyware offer.The former Giant software application which was purchased by Microsoft has not found the ability as of yet to where they may in fact be the equal to caretakers of what was one of the best anti-spyware applications around.Though that circle,if you will was much smaller than anything compared to the circle of influence six hundred million computers can do for you as in Microsofts case.It is important that we understand why this has become such an expensive proposition,computer software.The virtual trial and error allows from some real windfalls as only Microsoft can testify to and even more so provides an additional column dedicated to how to go about true and reliable representation on our desk tops and laptops.I have had the opportunity to download and install the microsoft anti-spyware application on both my Desk Top computer and most recently on my brand new laptop computer.On both occasions there was a pronounced conflict with just how my computers were configured.I decided to uninstall the freeware offer from Microsoft and let it go at that.This has held true as both attempts to install were met with just a-lot of problems.I would suggest that though this be a freeware offer,you do not need a-lot more than this application all by itself to succeed in warding off most problems.I would like you to read the survey presented at the grc.com web site(scroll down the page about halfway)and judge for your-self how to go about a successful ability to protect your computing environment from harm.Its probably the least expensive way to spend your time and I'am quite certain the degree of information will be worthy of the time spent in this pursuit.Who knows it may really be worth it!

Collapse -
Yes keep it!

I always recommed having ad-ware, spybot, spyblaster with either microsoft anti-spyware or spysweeper. Yes I know thats alot of programs but all are good and after all you wouldn't wanna get malware. But I would how ever wouldn't recommend no other programs except for what is stated. The idea here is protection thats what you got to think about.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!