HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do I need Blu-Ray for a 32 inch TV?

by a4phantom / February 13, 2008 5:15 PM PST

I'm going to get my folks a HDTV, and I'm looking at the Toshiba REGZA 32HL67U 32" 720p LCD. Does a screen this size make a Blu Ray player and Blu Ray disks necessary, or will their normal DVD player and DVD library still look good?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need Blu-Ray for a 32 inch TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need Blu-Ray for a 32 inch TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS
by a4phantom / February 13, 2008 5:55 PM PST

None of us have above average eyes!

Collapse -
depend on the viewing distance
by givemeaname / February 14, 2008 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: PS

if your more then 10ft there will No diffrence, it will just look like a real good dvd. The ideal distance would be for that sized tv would be 5-7ft.

If you have ever had any hd source hooked up to the tv like OTA HD, it will look like that & a bite better. If your unsure & your tv have a TOA turner, go out get a cheap powered anntena at radio shack for $25, too get a ideal of what it would look like.

Collapse -
Dont do blueray
by gretzkyv99 / February 14, 2008 3:46 AM PST

Get a progressive scan or upconvert Dvd player and it will look great. The BlueRay wouldnt even be playing at 1080p anyways.
Theory is that you dont get the benefit of 1080p in smaller screens which is way you will find that 90% of the time all your 37 and under tv's are 720.

Collapse -
SAVE YOUR MONEY, AND GET A 40" SCREEN INSTEAD.
by Riverledge / February 15, 2008 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Dont do blueray

RIVER.

Collapse -
Think about this. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 15, 2008 7:51 AM PST

The TV has 720 lines of resolution. Blu-ray has 1080. What do you think the TV will do with those 1080 lines? Maybe downconvert to 720?

Collapse -
yes,
by givemeaname / February 16, 2008 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Think about this. . .

you just goto the BD player settings & change it too 720p or 1080i, some player (most) will auto check via the HDMI, but some people prefer 1080i over 720p & vis versa. Component default is normaly 1080i.

Collapse -
I love my blu-ray player but...
by minimalist / February 16, 2008 8:13 AM PST

I have to admit, you aren't really going to see that much of a difference on a TV that small.

If you can afford it, use the extra money you were going to spend on the blu-ray plater and get them a slightly bigger screen (remember that a 32" widescreen has a 4:3 image similar to a 27" CRT), A 70 dollar upscaling DVD player will be fine for any screen less than 40". Then later they can upgrade the player if they want to.

Collapse -
DITTO.........
by Riverledge / February 16, 2008 8:32 AM PST

RIV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.