TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do I need better hookups?

by Cthulhuspawn82 / June 28, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

I know that because HDTVs have a different format than old 4:3 TVs that some images cant be watched without either using black bars or stretching the image to fill the screen but look distorted. But images made for a 16:9 format should fill the screen with no distortion.

Now when I watch an anamorphic DVD in standard format, it should fill the screen with no distortion. However I have the big letterbox bars and the image appears squished down. I assumed the black bars weren?t going away because I don?t have HD hookups for my DVD player, so the TV is getting a normal signal. But when I went to Best Buy to get the HDMI hookups or whatever the guy tells me its all about DVD format and blah blah, so I just leave without buying anything.

Do I Need different hookups? Perhaps a better DVD player? How do I get rid of those letterboxes? BTW, I have the same problem with television shows that are made for the 16:9 format. I can?t get them to fit the screen correctly. I figured that is because I only have normal cable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need better hookups?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need better hookups?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, we all live with those black bars.
by NM_Bill / June 28, 2008 8:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
YES, BILL IS CORRECT............NOT MANY DVDs FILL OUT A ...
by Riverledge / June 28, 2008 9:09 AM PDT

TOTAL SCREEN. EVERY DIRECTOR SEEMS TO USE A DIFFERENT ASPECT RATIO;

REGARDLESS OF HOLLYWOOD'S RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES.

THE ONLY DVD SET THAT FILLS MY ENTIRE SCREEN WITHOUT TWEEKING IS

"FLEETWOOD MAC: LIVE IN BOSTON" (Warners Bros 2004.)

RIVER.

Collapse -
I think I understand

Ok, so the black bars aren?t there because the image thinks its being displayed for a 4:3 screen rather than a 16:9? I though that was the problem. Its confusing because the manual for the tv claims that a anamorphic DVD should fill the screen when set on the ?standard? format. Yet I still get black bars that look just a big as the ones that were on my old tv. I usually use expand to get most of the black bars removed since it cops off a the top and bottom of the picture.

Collapse -
I THINK YOU GOT IT.............CONGRATS....
by Riverledge / June 28, 2008 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I think I understand

A LOT OF HDTV BEGINNERS THINK EVERYTHING LISTED AS HDTV,

WILL DISPLAY AS SUCH.............

DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL PROJECT IN THAT SAME MODE!!!

IN THE FUTURE, DON'T DO THIS, TO YOURSELF

LINDSEY (ask tho

Collapse -
CinemaScope
by gabereyes / June 28, 2008 2:26 PM PDT

It do's and does not matter with type of conections you use.
but in most cases you do need to use component video or HDMI to get true 16x9 ratio from a cable box and/or DVD player, and you most also change the device to 16x9 in the menu of the box or DVD player.

Yes some movies have black bars no matter what you do, but you shouldnt have the bars on every movie or TV show in DVD or HDTV form.

A good way to test the DVD player is find a movie that is made from pixar almost all pixar films will fill the screen or it will have a very thin black bar on top and bottom that will be about .25 inchs thick because it is in 1.85:1 ratio that is very simalar to 16x9, all but the movie cars and maybe wall-e.

Try this link for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

good luck
gabe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?