HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Do I need battery backup on all computers

by PaulaMillard / March 20, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

I just had a huge network setup in my new business with 25 computers. There is a server room and all that with sufficient backup protection. Now I am being told to buy a battery backup unit for each of the computers on the network in order to protect against not only power surges, but also the quick zaps of high or low electric power (I'm sure there are better words for that). I thought we just needed surge protectors with 2900 joules or so. Please advise. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need battery backup on all computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need battery backup on all computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UPS
by Darton Fury / March 20, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

UPS will prevent data loss during power outages as well as line conditioning -smoothing any spikes or dips and protecting against electrical noise. In a business environment they can be a lifesaver.

Collapse -
Agree with Darton. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

Not too long ago I was backing up my system to DVD and the power went off. I am connected to a 900 VA UPS. Guess what. Rather than my system crashing and doing who knows what damage to my system and the files being processed, I just kept on saving. Finished, and powered off. In a business environment, what happens to client data, or applications if the disk is writing and the power goes off. A UPS is a small investment.

Collapse -
My experience with battery backups
by shoskin1 / May 2, 2009 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Darton. . .

Beware that motherboards are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations as are other components in a computer.I had 2 computers hooked up to APC UPS'S (NOT THE CHEAP ONES) They worked fine for aprox. 6 months then both computers started showing same symptoms (shutting down unexpectedly) My main computer is a gaming rig the other is my sons computer. I have since bought an expensive surge protector (3400 jules)This imediately solved the problem and both computers seem to be responding well to the absence of the battery backups (recieving more consistant voltage)So, my conclusion has to be that the benefits of a battery backup are not worth the long term damage that they may cause your computer.Consulting your motherboard manufacturer would definately be high on my priority list if I were to ever consider using a UPS again. A fix for this could be installing a power conditioner between the computer and the UPS,Wich would regulate the voltage to your equipment(does not sound cost effective to me though) Good Luck Hope my experience with UPS,s helps you.

Collapse -
If management is willing
by bkirby / May 2, 2009 6:29 PM PDT

to purchase single UPS's for each workstation, then you have a great plus.

Avoiding user frustration when the power goes out and the report is due in the next hour. At least they have the ability to save what they have and in the end, saving many personal hours lost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.