TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do I need an amp?

by rozclare / October 29, 2005 6:30 AM PDT

I have a home theatre speaker system which only has a six socket rca connection for the surround sound. Unfortunately my dvd has only a single audio L/R and coaxial output.
I am new to this and do not know if I need to buy an amplifier as well or if there is some way to connect my dvd to the system to play 5.1.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need an amp?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need an amp?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do I need an amp?
by jcrobso / October 31, 2005 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Do I need an amp?

Yes, you will need a home theater reciver. Sound from th DVD player the the reciver, hook the speaker to the reciver. John

Collapse -
Coaxial output gives you 5.1 sound
by TiVolution / October 31, 2005 2:49 AM PST

The coaxial output of the DVD gives you the 5.1 channels. You need to connect this to a receiver (or preamp and amp) that has a coaxial input. The receiver decodes the coax signal into the 5.1 sound.

Note - if you use the L/R outputs of the DVD player you'll have to use something like Dolbly Pro Logic II to break the sound out into the 5.1 channels. This sounds ok, but in my view the coax is the way to go.

Collapse -
Thank you but still need help!!
by rozclare / October 31, 2005 3:05 AM PST

Thank you for your help.
I have sourced a receiver but am still a little confused. The receiver has a coaxial in - no problem there. But it has the connectors for all speakers on the back as well and here is the problem - the sub that I have does not have an input from amp connection. It only has the 5.1 input and jack l/r connectors for cd, dvd, vcd and tv.
How do I connect my sub to the receiver??
Please help - bemused and confused!!
Thank you.

Collapse -
More Info Required ...
by TiVolution / October 31, 2005 4:58 AM PST

Typical hookup is to connect all speakers to the receiver and the sub for the receiver's LFE out (this is an RCA type connector.) Sounds like your sub is a little different so please let us know the model and maker of your sub so that we can provide more help.

Collapse -
Speaker system
by rozclare / October 31, 2005 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: More Info Required ...

My speaker system is an Ozaki HM050.
The inputs on the back are -
5.1 L/R rca jack sockets for FL, FR, RL, RR, Centre and Sub.
L/R jack sockets for VCD, CD & TV
If you can help it would be great.
Thank you

Collapse -
Weird Sub!
by Dan Filice / October 31, 2005 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Speaker system

That doesn't sound like any "normal" subwoofer. TiVolution is correct in identifying what a normal sub connector looks like. It sounds like your sub-woofer is like one of those Bose sub-woofers where it is a control center for all of the other speakers. A traditional sub-woofer has only one or two ways to connect to the receiver's sub-woofer output.

Collapse -
How do I connect the sub??
by rozclare / November 1, 2005 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: Weird Sub!

Thank you for your help.
Would I connect the sub to the amplifier via the DVD jacks on the back of the sub??
Would I then connect the other speakers to the amp directly and bypass the connectors on the sub??
Please help. I feel like I am close to the solution now.

Thank you again.

Collapse -
Solution
by GSRich78 / November 2, 2005 8:48 AM PST

It seems like your ozaki speaker system has a preamp/amp built in meaning thet you don't need a separate reciever to power the speakers. What you do need is a dvd player that has outputs for sub, front, center and rear. Most new dvd player don't have these outputs(F,C,R.Sub) because most new dvd players have optical/digital outputs(all channels on one line) elminating the spaghetti of wires behind the equipment. Ask your local retailer about dvd players that have front,center, rear and sub outputs

Collapse -
Very simple, but not conventional.
by sirroundsound / November 2, 2005 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

Your system is very much like a surround speaker package that would go with a computer system, except it has "inputs" for equipment to be connected. Thus the confusion.
There are a lot of DVD players with 5.1 outputs on them, which you would connect to the corresponding input on the subwoofer. If you do not have a player with 5.1 output, you should still be able to connect the left/right stereo outputs to the left/right inputs and get a right/left speaker working, I am not sure if this package will decode many forms of surround, you would definatly not get any digital or 5.1 surround with this method.
If you have a vcr or game system you should be able to connect them too. This system has a remote control to allow you to switch between sources (inputs) and I would guess volume up and down.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you for the help.
by rozclare / November 2, 2005 5:28 PM PST

Thank you to everyone who assisted me with my problem. I was thinking that I was being a bit stupid, but as it turns out the two pieces just did not match!!
I have decided to get a dvd with the all of the outputs on the reverse to sit alongside my dvd recorder.
Hopefully soon I will be sitting back listening to my movies with the surround sound as well!!!
Once again, a big thank you for all of the help!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?