TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do I Need A Digital Cable Box

by timber284 / February 27, 2007 12:13 AM PST

Last month I bought a Panasonic 42" HDTV with a built in tuner. I did the automatic programming and ended up with my normal 2-99 channels and then a complete second set of channels that included 2-99 plus various HD channels and other channels that I could not normally receive through the cable package I own. I also got about 30 music channel. Everything worked fine until this week when the second set of channels starting turning into big pixels and most of the channels no longer came in. When I called Comcast they said I shouldnt be getting the second set of channels, HDTV channels or music channels since I don't own a cable box. They want $10 extra/month for the box rental. Does anyone know why I can receive the extra channels anymore. I'm sick of giving my money to Comcast (just waiting for some Verizon competition).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I Need A Digital Cable Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I Need A Digital Cable Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't have Comcast but that true for all.
by ahtoi / February 27, 2007 1:57 AM PST

I have DirecTV and the thing that gets me is that I would have to sign up for 2 years. Needless to say, I still don't have HD (not that my tv would hanndle it).

Collapse -
We'd all like some meaningful competition
by NM_Bill / February 27, 2007 1:59 AM PST

Sounds like they turned off a free preview. After all, don't drug dealers start with free samples?

They want you to buy their HD box service.

As a long suffering Verizon customer, don't count on them.

Collapse -
They have competition!
by analyzerbunny / February 27, 2007 3:26 AM PST

Tell them you want to cancel your service and then sign up with DirectTV. I understand they are cheaper and pipe lots of HD programming for less than cable.

I have Comcast for cable and internet. Once I find a better way to get internet access I'm dumping them for Direct TV or something similar.

Collapse -
(NT) There's the need for broadband & VoIP, too.
by NM_Bill / February 27, 2007 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: They have competition!
Collapse -
IF YOU BOUGHT THE PANASONIC TH-42PX600U, COMCAST CAN........
by Riverledge / February 27, 2007 5:52 AM PST

INSTALL A CABLECARD in the set and forego the box. No monthly fee for the CABLECARD, of course the HDTV must have the slot.

river.

Collapse -
Cable Card
by Lovie 1 / March 1, 2007 8:42 AM PST

Is there better picture quality with the cable card? I just requested the cable card because Comcast only has the video recorder/high def box. I am only interested in a high def box - do not need to pay Comcast any extra money. The high def boxes made by Motorola I guess had been recalled because the boxes were not up to code so there is a wait list for the boxes in MA.

Collapse -
DEAR CHEAP SKATES
by stewart norrie / February 27, 2007 8:40 AM PST

I have no problem paying Dish Network $48.00 per month Its worth every penny, The hi-def packgae and VOOM what a treat awsome programming and 5.1. sound to boot + with an outside antenn i receive 18 local digital channels 9 are in hi-def You guys set up a nice home theater system then complain that you have to spend a few buck for hi-def service steweeee

Collapse -
(NT) $48/month with Hi-Def or $48 for just HD?
by ahtoi / February 27, 2007 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: DEAR CHEAP SKATES
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?