Phones forum

General discussion

Do I need a data plan?

by soccerguy2 / March 26, 2011 11:56 AM PDT

So I am with T-Mobile and I have passed my 2 year agreement with my razor. If I buy, say a blackberry or a tmobile G1 from a friend, will the phone still work with basic features such as calling, texting, and picture mailing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need a data plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need a data plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: basic functions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Do I need a data plan?

Calling and texting are basic functions, for which you don't need a data plan. But pictures are data, so to mail pictures you need a data plan.
The alternative is to copy them to your PC (nice to have them there so you can make a backup and never lose them!) and e-mail them as an attachment. The e-mail on your PC includes a free data plan, so to say.

Kees

Collapse -
Are you sure about that?
by Pepe7 / March 27, 2011 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: basic functions
Collapse -
Is it unlocked?
by fondy / March 31, 2011 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Do I need a data plan?

The first thing to do is find out if T-Mobile still offers voice/SMS-only plans if you provide your own phone. They allowed me to use a jailbroken iPhone without requiring a data plan but that was almost two years ago.
The next thing would be to make sure the used phone you're planning to buy is (or can be) unlocked. Just because a phone is out of contract doesn't guarantee that it's unlocked. If the phone was originally used with T-Mobile service you may be OK, but if it came from another carrier it may or may not be unlockable.
Keep in mind that AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G data networks are incompatible. If you are able to activate an old AT&T smartphone on T-Mobile - and later decide that you do want a 3G data plan - you'll need a different phone.

Collapse -
You read too much into the OP's post
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it unlocked?

He doesn't mention switching carriers and only wants to know if a used T-Mobile phone would work with his current service after the contract is up. In this case he would simply be month-to-month and the current features would not change on his T-Mobile service. Unlocked & ATT do not factor into the discussion.

Collapse -
And you're making assumptions...
by fondy / April 1, 2011 2:41 AM PDT

Where did he say that it was a T-mobile Blackberry?
Wink

Collapse -
Perhaps
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2011 2:49 AM PDT

We'll both have to wait until the OP responds to learn that, I suppose.

FWIW, T-Mobile still is the best large carrier to choose if your goal is to bring along your own phone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.