PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Do I need a better Power Supply for a Geforce 6800 GT

by raineezy / June 12, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and it has a rating of 350w on its PSU. Im planning to buy a Geforce 6800 GT OC from BFG. I was wondering if any of you know if a 350w PSU is ample for a video card like Geforce 6800 GT OC or Geforce 6800 Ultra? Or will I have to settle for a better PSU?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need a better Power Supply for a Geforce 6800 GT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need a better Power Supply for a Geforce 6800 GT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you'll need a new PSU
by ozos / June 12, 2005 3:20 AM PDT

especially for a 6800 Ultra

Collapse -
recommend dis one
by nerdyboy1234 / June 12, 2005 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: you'll need a new PSU
Collapse -
Puu...
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: recommend dis one

350 watts is more than enough. It'll work fine, trust me.

Collapse -
well i dont think so!!!!!!!!
by nerdyboy1234 / June 12, 2005 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Puu...

a 6800 series graphics cards have some powerful fans and dat takes up power. also with a powerful processor and disk drives etc...350 watts like barely covers it.

Y r u so arrogant all the time... also stop suggesting celeron!!!!!!!! its ok if you are lookin for a budget pc that will last a year.

Collapse -
RE
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 9:39 AM PDT

My 2.6Ghz Celeron has already lasted a year, and should last one more year with no problem. 40FPS on HL2 is hardly bad for any machine. With the money saved you get to buy stuff that really matters, like software and games.

Seriously, I salvaged the 300 watt powersupply from my last computer. It has to be at least 3 years old now, and there's been no problems whatsoever.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 12, 2005 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

That is because you're using a 9600. That doesn't use up any more power than an X300SE.
Roger

Collapse -
So?
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

So? Just how much more power would it use? Besides, I have two harddrives, don't you think that makes up some of the slack?

Collapse -
Dude, 300 is not even close to enough.
by emrtr4 / June 13, 2005 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: So?

RULE # 1, 500 wat power supply always if ur going to buy a 6800GT or Ultra and plan on running 7200 RPM hardrive or more. #2 Celeron is horrible. Pentium 4 is horrible. AMD, you buy a $190 AMD venice 3200 and u can overclock it no problem to 2.6 ghz which means that it could eat any INTEL while playing games (intels are faster with photoshop/word things like that, AMD gaming). Third u'll wanna up your graphics card. Wait till the new Nvidia chips are released this summer, then the 6800s will drop alot in price, buy 2 of them, throw them into a nice SLI motherboard (ASUS SLI DELUX is the best u can buy Money and quality wise).

Collapse -
new power supply
by AKonny47 / June 12, 2005 8:43 AM PDT

antec or thermal take, that dell one will not hold up against nvidia. also after you buy a new ps, it will run quieter be it thermaltake or antec

konny

Collapse -
Yes, you do
by emrtr4 / June 13, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

I bought the LEADTECK 6800 GT and tried to put it into a Dell 4600 hundred, (first off Dell motherboards are incompatible with it, cause the 4600 i have is 4x8x graphics slot as supposed to 8x4x or PCI express. But also the powersupply in Dells are not nearly enough, i would buy a nice supply for around $80, look on NEWEGG.com they have the best prices on everything. (dell power-supplies are cheap, the ratings are fugged ur probably only cranking out around 200 watts i had the same thing, lets just say I am not getting a dell EVER AGAIN!!!)

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 13, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, you do

Duh... The 4600 doesn't come with a pci-express slot. What is 8x4 and 4x8. Dell psu are the best, they are from pc power and cooling (the best in the industry).

Collapse -
I cant find a compatible Power Supply!!!
by raineezy / June 13, 2005 11:19 AM PDT

I cant find a compatible Power Supply to my case!!! I have the dell 8400

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 13, 2005 11:43 AM PDT

Of course not, oems such as dell has proprietary psu. You would have to buy one from dell which it gers from pc power and cooling, which is the best in the industry, but expensive.

Collapse -
What is incompatible about
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 12:00 PM PDT

the available supplies????

Earlier DELL stupidly used the same 20 pin connector as the normal ATX EXCEPT they wired a few pins differently. Thus if you put a standard ATX into a Dell you fried the mobo. They sell adapters at places such as Fry's. As far as I could see the problem was that they wired pin 18 to plus 5 volts, while the standard had minus 5 volts on that pin.

HOWEVER, it is my understanding that somewhere in the 8000 series they went to standard wiring.

The funny thing is that the minus 5 volts had not been used in years. Dell probably took advantage of that to simply get a little more copper in the plus 5 volt line.

You have a little checking to do. I would think that a call to Dell asking about the powwer supply wiring would clear up any issue.

I would think that if PC Power and Cooling made the supplies, it would be a less than their top model to be a low bidder. But it seems that they would also know the answer.

Collapse -
Have you looked at...
by martinaggie01 / June 15, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

The OCZ Powerstream 520W?
It is rock solid, has adjustable 12v rails, and powers a SLI setup incase you want to upgrade to this later with the 6800....

Pricey, but EXTREMELY high quality.

Try Ebaying it.

Collapse -
Thanks Everyone!!
by raineezy / June 15, 2005 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you looked at...

Thanks Everyone, Y'all been a great help!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?