Computer Help forum

General discussion

Do I have enough memory. My pc is very sloooow.

by 1970Ania / July 1, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed, Acer.
It has total physical memory 512.00MB
Available Physical memory 215.77MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96GB
My question to the wise ones----- is this ok??
My computer is very slow. Could I have to many photos saved?
Please, oh please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I have enough memory. My pc is very sloooow.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I have enough memory. My pc is very sloooow.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What size is your hard drive?
by 4Denise / July 1, 2008 4:10 PM PDT

How much of it is free space?

Denise

Collapse -
hard drive
by 1970Ania / July 1, 2008 9:44 PM PDT

Used space 62.5 GB
Free space 11.9 GB
Capacity 74.5 GB

Is this OK???

Collapse -
Looks like you should thin that out
by 4Denise / July 2, 2008 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: hard drive

Try putting some of the data on CDs or DVDs (make 2 copies before removing it from the hard drive-- and check to make sure they came out readable first). You should keep about 25% of your hard drive empty at all times.

This isn't the only way to speed up your computer. There are a lot of ways to gain bits of speed here and there, and you can read all about it in this forum. Check out the various discussions here. A lot depends on how your computer is set up and what steps you've taken so far. After you free up some additional space on your drive, you can begin by making sure you have no malware or viruses.

What do you do to maintain your computer?

Denise

Collapse -
Actually
by Jimmy Greystone / July 2, 2008 1:51 AM PDT

Actually, it's more like 1-10%. Depending on the OS, and how much virtual memory you need, you should keep somewhere between 1-10% of your drive free for virtual memory and temp file use.

Another way to look at it, is to keep 1-2GB of space free at all times. Regardless of drive size, since the percentage thing is back from the days when drives were only a few hundred MB. However, 1-2GB of free space should be plenty for swap and temp file purposes for probably 99% of desktop users.

I'd say the person should focus more on making sure they have no viruses or other types of malware, and possibly consider an extra 512MB of RAM. Some store, online or local, is bound to use the upcoming 4th of July holiday as an excuse for a sale to try and get people into the store. If our friend is from Canada or the UK, then they may have to wait for some national holiday in their respective country.

Collapse -
Hi.
by Maddogmcree / July 2, 2008 12:39 AM PDT

Would suggest buying more memory, it's cheap.

Other than that, do a virus scan and try and clear some unwanted junk from it.

Collapse -
Slow running
by Phil Crase / July 2, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

Memory will help but there can be other issues, too many things running in the background will do it, also spyware in the shadows can create slowdowns Items stored in the system, pictures, documents etc.,should have little to do with slow down. Do a control alt delete check and click processes to see how many items are running, that may well be a part of the issue. XP runs on 512 mb's but not very well since you are sharing video and audio from the ram. 1gb smooths things out a lot.Anti virus/spyware (FREEBIES)can create issues as well, preferentially use good security software there is a lot of it on the market and some of it is not cheap but can be worth the cost. I see issues almost daily with free stuff and trial downloads, some swear by the stuff, I do not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.