Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Do I dare edit the registry per instructions from Microsoft?

by MyCodieOdie / April 1, 2005 5:47 PM PST

Every time I restart Windows 98 Second Edition the following message appears:

Cannot find device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file but the file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

nwnblink.vxd
Press a key to continue

I don't know why this message began appearing, however, I now have no sound capabilities, and can no longer use AOL Instant Messaging. I found information on how to correct the problem by searching the knowledge base of Microsoft, however, it warns that editing the registry (which is required) may do damage to my system, therefore, I am hesitant to attempt to repair the problem per their instructions.

Could someone with advanced knowledge regarding this issue please advise me on how to proceed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I dare edit the registry per instructions from Microsoft?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I dare edit the registry per instructions from Microsoft?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: editing the registry ...

is not especially dangerous, as long as you are careful and don't delete or update the wrong things.

It's nice to know that Windows 98 keeps a 5 day buffer (the status of the registry on the first boot of every new day) of old registries. So in the unlucky case you mess it up, you can go back to the correct version of this morning. To do so, boot into MS-DOS, type scanreg /restore (followed by enter) and choose the right date.

nwnblink.vxd seems to be related to Microsoft networking. I doubt if it will have any influence on sound. And even on AOL.

Hope this helps you to dare to do it,
and hope it helps to solve your problem. And if not, tell more on your problem and the proposed solution.

Kees

Collapse -
My solution
by ramusson / April 2, 2005 12:17 PM PST

I've had some similar hiccups with win98.

My solution is to:
edit the system.ini file ( will be in the windows directory of the C: drive; hidden ) with an ascii editor like notepad,
hunt for a line/lines referring to nwnblink.vxd,
and put a "rem " at the line begining.

Save the ini file and reboot.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.