Computer Help forum

General discussion

do harddives record & playback hi-def720/1080 content?

by andycl / September 26, 2010 6:41 PM PDT

I would like a computer that can be used as a DVR also, if I can see the content in high-def 720/1080 as originally broadcast. I don't know if this is a reasonable expectation for a computer, or if so which ones. I'm thinking this always or never happens, because I don't see it in their specs. DVDs record at 480, and there's not a great selection of separate DVR units. PS- can the PS3 record in highdef?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: do harddives record & playback hi-def720/1080 content?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: do harddives record & playback hi-def720/1080 content?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: record and playback HD
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2010 6:42 PM PDT

It's not a property of the OS or the PC. It's a quesyion of having the right recording program. So it isn't in the specs of the PC, it's in the specs of the recording program you buy.

Kees

Collapse -
Lots of people are doing what you are asking
by lacsr / September 26, 2010 8:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Lots of people
by andycl / September 29, 2010 5:56 PM PDT

Thanks for the link, I'm saving it while I read more. I'm looking for magic words like "playsback recorded HD in HD"....It seems like if a system did this they would be shouting it not obscuring it, so I'm suspicious. The author of this article says his setup "handles HD resolution video" but anything can record HD for LowDef playback, although I'm sure 480 looks great if it was recorded from 720/1080. Just don't want to be disappointed after spending $!

Collapse -
Depending on the source
by lacsr / September 29, 2010 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Lots of people

Computers can record like a DVR simple enough, if the source is HD and the software is set up for HD. Of course, getting the source may be a problem. If the source is OTA and the tuners in the PC are digital broadcast capable then HD can be recorded as wanted. Broadcasters can put a signal in the TV channel to prevent recording, however. So, if you want more info, give more info. You might want to investigate these software packages to get an idea as to what can be done:
http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/
http://www.mythtv.org/
http://www.sage.tv/
Microsoft Windows 7 Media Center has most functions built in, also. Look at the forums for those software packages above to get an idea what others have been able to do and the hardware they are using. It is mostly all possible if the right hardware and software are put together on the right PC.

Collapse -
yes, where I'm at
by andycl / October 1, 2010 5:56 PM PDT

Yes, I should say my aims here, since this might not be so easy (did I think it would be?)
Currently I have no PC, and I don't plan to get on the internet or get cable-- the reason being it seems like I can spend all the couchtime I need to watching OTA content, which comes in HD and looks so good, even mediocre shows are enjoyable, thus reducing my need for more content! For special shows or purposes (like this thread) I can access cable or internet. However, my 2nd shift job prevents prime-time viewing unless I record. Since the internet is in my future plans, I thought a computer would be better than another disappointing video device.
Looking into these things, thanks

Collapse -
Hard drives can save . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 1, 2010 11:06 PM PDT

whatever is put on them. Let me know when you find a video INPUT that will handle HD. AS in HDMI or DVI input.

There are many HD tuners for OTA broadcasting, and the content can be saved to a hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?