General discussion

Do Expensive Cables Really Make A Difference ?

I recently purchased a new Panasonic VIERA TX-P46S20B plus a B & W Zeppelin and an AppleTV (2nd Generation). I have all three components but I do not know what cabling would be the best to get the most out of all my three devices.

I was going to go with a "Monster? HDMI 1200HDex Ultimate High Speed 15.8 Gbps HDMI Cable" to connect my Apple TV to my new Full HD 1080p Flat Screen TV and use a "Duronic 3M TOSLINK Goldspec High Resolution Professional Digital Optical TOSlink Cable - 24K Gold Casing" to connect the B & W Zeppelin to the TV for audio output boost.

Would that be a good setup... ? or should I be doing it differently and using different, more optimum cabling..?

I'm also waiting on a new software update called aTVFlash Black that will turn my new AppleTV into more of an online experience (Firefox) plus it will help to support other video formats outside of Apple's Eco System, including possible apps....

Any comments or advice most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Do Expensive Cables Really Make A Difference ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Do Expensive Cables Really Make A Difference ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Discussed to the nth degree . . .

Digital is digital. Copper is copper. Gold is gold (on the connectors). Many tests and results from PCMag, PCWorld, and AV sites prove that the "expensive", (read Monster) cables are hype.

- Collapse -
Don't pay the sucker tax

In analog days, expensive cable makers were correct that build quality did make some difference (and I emphasize "some"). But there was always a point of diminishing returns. With digital cables this argument has all but disappeared? a fact that boutique cable manufacturers try to obfuscate with pseudoscience that preys on most consumers? general ignorance of the matter.

Extremely cheap cables (I?m talking 2-4 dollars for a 6 foot HDMI) might eventually fail on you if you plug and unplug them a lot, but you needn?t pay Monster?s exorbitant sucker fees to get quality. Amazon and Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable all have quality HDMI and optical cables in the range of 8-12 dollars for a 6 footer.

- Collapse -
Just say NO to Monster
- Collapse -
You know there is something seriously out whack

in the universe when Apple stores sell 6 foot HDMI cables for 19.95 and Best Buy's cheapest 6 foot option is 50 or 60 dollars.

Absurdly overpriced cables are the dirty little secret of the big box stores. Along with "power conditioners" and extended warranties, expensive HDMI cables are an easy up-sell the kids in blue shirts can push on clueless consumers buying their first HDTV. Its almost pure profit. Seriously, there is a special place in hell reserved for these guys right next to used car salesmen and trial lawyers.

CNET Forums

Forum Info