Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Do blue states have higher average IQs than red states?

by Josh K / November 5, 2004 3:05 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do blue states have higher average IQs than red states?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do blue states have higher average IQs than red states?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Do blue states have higher average IQs than red states?
by null. / November 5, 2004 3:46 AM PST

Even the host of the site can't attest to the accuracy of the figures

Ya right - B.S. all

I cannot see how they can assume to know the brain power of most based on this fact --> Most people do not know their own I.Q. - I have never taken an IQ test in my life. I most likely will never see the day I know my I.Q. I would think I am an example of an average American.

Don Erickson
California Repiblican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
by EdH / November 5, 2004 3:50 AM PST

Supposedly Republicans are better educated than Democrats.

Seems like they made the smart decision on Election Day.

Collapse -
cite source, please
by netsky / November 5, 2004 4:23 AM PST

cite reason for "supposedly"

cite reasons why election day decision of the majority can be inferred by as "smart" in mere juxtaposition as you used.

Why smart?

Is the other camp dumb?

Is this hard to address in level, civil, reply?

i hope not

cheers

Collapse -
I didn't know you need evidence netsky. You certainly
by Kiddpeat / November 5, 2004 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: cite source, please

don't cite any for your posts. Hmmmm.

Collapse -
I did not infer or make assertion afresh.
by netsky / November 5, 2004 6:25 AM PST

Dood, i made challege to the cheap shot humor.

You can to the same back to me, ditto!

go down, go down to where you belong to my "why is" challenge to your own absolutely unmitigated gall

of virtually ribald pride

and have a nice time with it, you self-proclaimed person of "no good in me" other than what comes from the church. I half spoken to several ministers of your faith about -that- shocking assertion of you and they??? Are frankly as shocked as i am.

Christians are good people made BETTER by their embracing of their Lord. Not bad people, not just becuase they've shut their bible tight or speak out of church.

but i digress and you are the one who put all this on yourself.

"do not look for any good in me for you will not find it".

Please mend, please let me love you better, brother.

Collapse -
Re: cite source, please
by EdH / November 5, 2004 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: cite source, please

Can't. I've seen several surveys over the years that indicate this. Not gonna research it. I don't care if you believe it or not.

Collapse -
OK then
by netsky / November 5, 2004 12:58 PM PST

You are posting a Reply to:

Re: cite source, please

Can't. I've seen several surveys over the years that indicate this. Not gonna research it. I don't care if you believe it or not.

Posted by: EdH Posted on: 11/05/2004 6:16 PM
==

Ok, i know how that goes- info can be hard to find at request.

However, your mere assertion "i don't care if you believe it or not" is weakening of your general credibily. I -know- and appreciate that you don't need or want to gratify me in any way. Same goes back from me to you.

Ergo- the ones you should wish to please are the xxx others who may be following and hoping for you to prove that bounding assertion... which now cannot even find its own dentures, much less nip into mine hide.

I have no pleasure in harming you in any way any more. But i will call you to task for such questions as these. And i hope you will honor me the same way so that we can at least keep each other honest.

g'nite, loyal opponent.

Collapse -
Re: OK then
by EdH / November 5, 2004 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: OK then

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, just making a comment on something that I've seen and I think is pretty common knowlege. A brief Google search will find lots of examples. Here's one:
http://www.instapundit.com/archives/014093.php

"Yet Republicans in the general public tend to be better educated than Democrats. In the 1994-2002 General Social Surveys (GSS), Republicans have over 6/10ths of a year more education on average than Democrats. Republicans also have a higher final mean educational degree. Further, Republicans scored better than Democrats on two word tests in the GSS--a short vocabulary test and a modified analogies test."

The original post and the site at the link provided were pretty much the equivalent of the Daily Mirror headline "How can 59,054,087 Americsans be so dumb?". A slur, nothing more. I was merely reacting to it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) excellence in posting. thank you!
by netsky / November 6, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: OK then
Collapse -
if true
by netsky / November 5, 2004 4:07 AM PST

I just saw my IQ drop AGAIN by another ten points.

Sleepless in See att-illa's Homeland,

netsky the obfuscating poet

who nose et

Collapse -
In more serious reply..
by netsky / November 5, 2004 4:18 AM PST

Do we know the tested IQ of any of our recent presidents or other bigfigs of public domain?

my own IQ, tested as a child is not so high. Of course the test did not indicate "IQ" in sensitivity or verbal free association intell, or a whole host of amorphous kinds of human "intelligence".

118 but i can take apart and put together the minutiae of a complicated timepiece within my minds eye, or see connections between widely varying people and events. And lots of annoying word jazzing amusing only to myself but not "dumB" stuff to duplicate.

What's in a modern IQ test? A great deal i am sure. But a great deal is missed in any test, right?

I suppose even the LEAST literate of SE'ers may have forms of savantism a lot more rare than my own idiot genius in word play.

But i shall never know about them because they don't write nor talk, by definition, if their "gift" is not verbal.

The sidewalk chalk artist. The gardener. The this and the that, the ENDLESS variety of human genius that no test can ever essay to assay.

Collapse -
Re: In more serious reply..
by Josh K / November 5, 2004 4:28 AM PST

I have no idea what my own IQ might be. I've never been tested and I know that there can be a lot of variance in scores between one test and another for the same person. The tests are probably more sensitive to cultural/economic factors than they used to be. For example, I remember seeing something on TV years ago about an inner-city kid who got a question wrong -- it was "Cup and _____." The "correct" answer was "saucer" but he put "table" because the people in his family and community couldn't afford "fancy" stuff like saucers.

Are the numbers at that site accurate? My guess is that whoever posted them was either making them up or working them to make a point, serious or not. I figured it would elicit a few interesting replies though. Wink

Collapse -
by Rolway / November 5, 2004 4:20 AM PST

Interesting, yeah. What is your point here Josh? I know theres a punch line here somewhere. Ha, Ha.

George

Collapse -
Dang, George
by netsky / November 5, 2004 4:28 AM PST

you just played into Josh's josh

that is, tell us what state you reside in, and josh's cited rankings may well indicate WHY you didn't get 'a punch line'.

the best punch lines are never stated flat out.

The best punch lines are inferred by, uh, states of mind.

(i am toooo much.... yet nothing of substance at all. no depth. all cattle and no hat. Opposite our President's funny predilictons)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) he gets it :) hes just being funny...
by Dragon / November 6, 2004 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Dang, George
Collapse -
They think so
by David Evans / November 5, 2004 4:28 AM PST

That's why we keep beating them in the elections, yuk yuk yuk!

DE

Collapse -
Butterknife wit
by netsky / November 5, 2004 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: They think so

I love it all

Yes, this is a friendly trolling of fish.. not all so much unlike myself. Sometimes i get yanked overboard.

--A friendly TUG on on the bait and now i just wait..

--nothing nibbles---

there is no tasty lure, not much wormy allure in this post-let with a dull-knife cork float above it.

Both that cork and this hook are hope full ly dead in this water.

Collapse -
Re: Butterknife wit
by Rolway / November 5, 2004 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Butterknife wit

Try fishing in some other pond. Using sh*t for bait does'nt work.

Collapse -
george,
by netsky / November 5, 2004 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Butterknife wit

it was not what it seems to you.

it is a "Troll" to say "let's not troll this one further".

You bit on bait that i thought i'd made clearly untasty enough.

You say it is fecal. But dang, george, you bit on it yourself.

I did not want DE or you or anyone to do that.

It was a fake, anti-angling troll. DE got 'it'.

Now you do too.

Unhooked, back into the pond with you to swim in prides and peace.

Collapse -
Re: to swim in prides
by jonah jones / November 5, 2004 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: george,

i thought fish swam in schools.....

Collapse -
Re: to swim in prides
by netsky / November 6, 2004 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: to swim in prides

Ah, wise man- you must agree with me. All my better word are well-floated trollings.

Yours are too.

LION fish ...that PROUD california poster being our example at hand...

Lion fish swim in Prides

grin!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What Jonah said
by Dan McC / November 5, 2004 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: They think so
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: lots of blubber????
by jonah jones / November 5, 2004 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) What Jonah said
Collapse -
No. 'you obnoxious S. O. B.' is what you said
by Dan McC / November 5, 2004 4:58 AM PST

That is acceptable under the TOS, apparently.

Dan

Collapse -
justice? even application? fairness?
by netsky / November 5, 2004 5:05 AM PST

After all your years here you are still hoping, pissing in the wind?

I am here three months. i am less smart than you and josh and a whole Host of holies.

Pointing out the hypocrisy makes no changes and only feeds the joy of the immune by affirming their special-ness.

Is this not true, Dan?

You can get by doing as always you have. OR you can roll over like me and stab your belly raw for the delight of wolverines. Or just... piss in the wind.

Said in quite satisfied, new, personal equilibrium. I had to let all my former HUGE resentments go. I have to, says the figurative Jesus whispering from over my shoulder.

He is no bobble-head on my dashboard, neither.

Collapse -
If so, Josh..........
by Mac McMullen / November 5, 2004 4:48 AM PST

They're too smart for their own good, if the election
results are any measure. Wink

Collapse -
Actually it may be at least a partial hoax
by Josh K / November 5, 2004 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: If so, Josh..........
Collapse -
The Blue v. Red I.Q. list doesn?t pass the ?I.Q.? test.
by Catgic / November 5, 2004 4:54 AM PST

It looks like somebody crossed databases with the list of the states with the worst drivers in the U.S.

Has anyone ever observed the ?average ?genius? driver? in New England?s Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island? How about in New York and New Jersey where they always are quick to display their ?I.Q.s? using a ?single digit?? Surely, drivers don?t display ?genius-level? road skills in LA, CA; Chicago, IL; and the Maryland and Virginia portions of the Nation?s Metro Beltway. Not one ?genius? is listed in the District of Columbia, our nation?s capitol?Heck, DC didn?t even make the list?it has the nation?s ?best & brightest? working there, as well as the nation?s worst ?driving geniuses? motoring around it.

Katz Man, methinks you?re still imbibing in Blue Kool-Aide or at least suffering from Blue Kool-Aide post-election withdrawal Wink

Collapse -
unrelated large puzzlement: your apostrophe marks.
by netsky / November 5, 2004 5:09 AM PST

in this post and many of your others display as huge pollywog-blots oversize to the text letters.

All other posters's texts are "normal"

What the heck can be different about your set up to give my screen such a wierd look.

Pollywogs- the quote marks even look like a pair of belly-to-back pollywogs doing some nasty act- grin, but them's the facts jack.

Collapse -
Large Apostrophe Marks Puzzlement? Rohrshack Test!
by Catgic / November 5, 2004 8:25 AM PST

Since I am the ?Center of the Net Universe,? by definition everything on my end of the Web Hose is the standard for cyber system ?normalness & wonderfulness.? It looks good when it?s launched from here, so anything judged as problematic by far-end users must be caused by cyber-system ?abnormities & weirdness? resident at their end. In your case, the Cocoanetsky Grove off-ramp of the Info Highway.

As far as your ?belly-to-back pollywog pair doing the Frog nasty? response to the Emoticon ?Quotes? Rohrshack Test, its evaluation has been outsourced to experts in France. Wink

Them?s the faques Jacque, them?s just the faques.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.