Question

Do any tablets play DVDs??

I'm looking for a tablet PC as a secondary unit to purchase later this year. It sounds like there are NO tablet PC that play DVDs. The iPad3 seems to be the king of tablet PC but I found out it won't play a DVD. Are there any tablet PC that will pay a DVD? I won't use the DVD often maybe weekly. The iPad3 seems to have the most potential of the tablet PC with Apple TV and all the other things it can do. I'm looking for a on the go, portable tablet PC , high quality and reliability that I can take the coffee shop for 2 hours or take on a trip. I want to be able to play a DVD or use a flash drive. I don't want to have to buy a second laptop. A tablet PC seems to be more portable and more of what I want. Either way I want to be able to use the tablet as a primary unit if I need to. Hope you have good answers for me.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Do any tablets play DVDs??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Do any tablets play DVDs??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
DVD

I have just noticed Argos are selling one for £199 without dvd, but has usb port to connect external unit. Seems a good buy , it was advertised on TV last night at reduced price. It looks like a very good buy and will connect to external HDD, so I presume it wil DVD player.

- Collapse -
Answer
It's a non-issue. Why?

Because I can get the DVD on a digital copy from either the DVD or the usual iTunes or other sources.
Bob

- Collapse -
Do any tablets play DVDs?? (It might be an issue)

I know this is an old thread but it came up on page one of Google search for me. I took issue with Bob's flip "it's a non-issue" answer. In the OP he wanted to be able to "play a DVD or use a flash drive". Nothing about owning a movie/digital copy or streaming. I was curious about a tablet with a disc drive vs. just buying a laptop. For either playing a commercial dvd disc OR a data disc burned with pictures, etc. I'm still looking but it seems like even in 2013 it's still down to tablet vs. laptop?

The reason it may be an issue for some is that we don't all have the same needs. I don't have any need for the wi-fi-ability of a laptop or smart phone, at all. No internet access needed. Probably a 2nd-hand laptop is all I need, I just also wonder about the ability to portably use a disc in general. Maybe there's never going to be a market for an such thing, but people have to ask without being told they don't know what they want or need. Thanks

- Collapse -
If it's an issue
- Collapse -
I searched but thanks itsdigger!

Wow I really hesitated to post to this but as I said this thread kept coming up in my first page of results even with different criteria. I'm usually a pretty good searcher, I'm sure my sister and mom both call once a day for help! That really looks similar to what I was wanting.

"Media Support: DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, Audio Format Support: MP3, Video Format Support: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (DVD) "

My only question, I could play both a commercial dvd, and a burned dvd obviously... PLUS a data disc on a DVD+R??? The advantage to a used laptop would be any disc I burned on my computer, live or data, would be able to play it as well. And I realize I probably can find a decent cheap laptop just for my disc use, so I'm fully prepared just to go that route if I can spare some $$.

So hard to explain everything, like being able to take a disc to watch in bed or just bring it to share with friends.. I know I sound hopelessly desk-bound but I am home-bound so all smart and portable devices are basically a waste. I have a flip cell phone that is basically a fancy wristwatch and access to 911 if I need it. I'll keep this one in mind but if my answer is to basically just invest in a laptop for all the functions I need, that's fine too.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
Well I see this
- Collapse -
I see there is now a tablet form dvd player.

And after a few trade shows since this old post I haven't seen anyone hook up a DVD drive to a tablet. Let's google this now that 600 days have passed and see what turns up?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1620084 shows that next month USB DVD play arrived.

Funny how it hasn't caught fire.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Hi

There is no tablet which internal DVD writer. But there are so many tab which has usb port. So you can use external DVD writer.

- Collapse -
Looks like there is?

I see itsdigger found a tablet dvd player. It's not Android but it is a tablet in form.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Do any tablets play DVDs?

currently no tablets having the DVD.but if you want to buy tablets you have to go for tablet with USB connection.even though you see the tablets coming with DVDs you better try it later.dont buy instantly.

- Collapse -
Thanks for all the help!

I think my gut instinct of just getting a laptop is the best option and the plus to that is I have a backup to plug in in case my desktop blows or anything! And my mom has no TV or internet so I could always bring it to her house and show her anything news-related etc. she might need to see. (I don't believe in surviving on talk-radio alone!) Just a better investment in the long run, again, thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info