Computer Help forum

General discussion

DNS server is not working..

by jlcerezo / December 1, 2009 1:33 AM PST

My ISP changed the secondary & tertiary DNS IP addresses from 121.1.3.208,121.1.3.199 to 121.1.3.81,121.1.3.82 respectively in their system. Now our DNS server is not working. My question is, what will be the next step to solve this problem? I have a cisco router, do I have to change the IP in this router?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DNS server is not working..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DNS server is not working..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried These Troubleshooting Steps Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 7:16 AM PST
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787724%28WS.10%29.aspx

My question is about your status in this issue... Do you manage the server? What error messages are you seeing to notify you of the problem? Or...Are you a homeowner with a computer which can't connect? If so, I'll guess you had a static IP address and needed to change it? Yes, No? If it was static, can you change it to automatic detection in the network adapater's properties?

Which operating system are you using?

Tried flushing DNS?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif
Collapse -
I will try your advise
by jlcerezo / December 1, 2009 8:56 AM PST

Hi Grif, I manage the server. This is the error message after I type my address from OpenDNS:

Nameserver trace for www.yourdomain.com:

* Looking for who is responsible for yourdomain.com and followed hostname1.yourdomain.com.

Nameservers for www.yourdomain.com:

* hostname1.yourdomain.com returned (NORECORDS)
* hostname2.yourdomain.com returned (SERVFAIL)

I'm using a Linux. A cisco router -> firewall server -> DNS server

I will try later flushing the DNS. As of now, I will take a look the link that you sent. Thanks for the input. I will post the outcome.

Collapse -
by jlcerezo / December 1, 2009 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: I will try your advise

It is static.

Collapse -
A Couple Of Other Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: I will try your advise

Try reinitializing the router.. Turn OFF the computer, turn OFF the router, then turn OFF the modem (if they are separate modem/router). Wait ten minutes, then turn ON the modem, wait two minutes for it to reinitialize, then turn ON the router (if it's separate), wait two minutes, then turn ON the computer.

Of course, you might consider using OpenDNS which works for some..

http://www.opendns.com/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ok Grif
by jlcerezo / December 2, 2009 12:02 AM PST

Ok Grif, I will do that. Also, I will try to post some message from utility like nslookup, traceroute. For further analysis.

Collapse -
Result..
by jlcerezo / December 2, 2009 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Ok Grif

Hi Grif, I tried your advise, but the problem is still here. What will I do next?

Collapse -
Please Answer Questions From My First Response Here
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Result..

What exactly is your situation?

Grif

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by jlcerezo / December 5, 2009 2:34 PM PST

Sorry, for being late.. the problem has been solved.. A support remotely reconfigured the two servers.. Thanks for your time, Grif.. Have to study that part, so next time, I know how to do it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?