Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

DMZ settings on router

by cpg / May 5, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

I have a NetGear router connected to 3 computers. I have to set firewall off and DMZ on to connect to internet. Whenever I connect, I have to set the IP address of connecting computer to DMZ setting.

This allows me to connect one computer at a time. Also, each time I change the computer, I have to change the connecting IP for the router.

Is there any easy solution to connect different computers, without changing router settings

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DMZ settings on router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DMZ settings on router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is an unusual situation....
by Michael Geist / May 5, 2005 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: DMZ settings on router

in that it totally opposes the purpose of the router. I can only think that your configuration settings are wrong. Reset the router to it's defaults and set the PCs to obtain IPs and DNS's automatically. You should be able to connect independently on all machines after you shut down and restart the modem/router and PCs, in that order.

Collapse -
re: router
by ac415 / May 5, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

mike is right. on top of his suggestion, you may want check with netgear and see if they have a updated firmware for your model of router. check with your ISP with the correct IP setting too to make sure you've got it right on the router.

Collapse -
DMZ
by cpg / May 6, 2005 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: re: router

Thanks Mike and ac415

I have AOL broadband on Time Warner cable. Can log on thru AOL only. Not 'always on internet ' connection. When the router looks for broadband, I have to connect to AOL. Only way I can do this is by enabling DMZ and setting up the IP for the computer. No help from TW and AOL techs 'swear', you should connect.

NetGear techs blame on AOL secure connect. Well, it is a challenge, maybe I can do it or just have to connect one system at a time.

Thanks for your suggestions. So far i have not found a solution yet.

cpg

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Solution===dump AOL
by Michael Geist / May 6, 2005 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: DMZ
Collapse -
AOL
by cpg / May 6, 2005 9:25 AM PDT

Michael, I do agree with you. Only problem is, I have a small business and have been giving out aol email address last 5 years. Any suggestion which ISP is better for networking and about handling my aol email.

Thanks,
cpg

Collapse -
Any ISP that does not require you to log on....
by Michael Geist / May 6, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL

through them. As far as email, a simple updated email address notification to everyone in my address book takes care of that. I have found AOL software to be a major resource hog, that why I won't touch it.

Collapse -
Thank You
by Ringexcel / May 6, 2005 12:04 PM PDT

Thanks, Michael. You are right about the AOL software. Mostly unwantd extras! I will look into another ISP

cpg

Collapse -
late message
by ac415 / May 22, 2005 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

As a small business. You should have your own domain name so your email should read you@yourcompanyname.com I found Speakeasy to be pretty good provider. I am a IT Consultant for Small/Mid size business and so far, my clients who use them are happy with their service.

When selecting one ISP for your business, make sure they are big enought so they won't go out of business on you, but do find one that is "small" enought so they won't treat you as "just another customer".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.