HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

DMP-BD60K Blu Ray Player and Subtitles

by jim isham / July 9, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

On page 36 of the DMP-BD60K manual are the instructions for setting up the language options.
Near the top of that page it says: "Once you set the audio, SUBTITLE, disc menu and player menu language options, they will be applied automatically every time you watch a movie."
I take this to mean "Set it and forget it".
I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to reset the Subtitle option, or language, to English every time I watch a movie. Am I reading the instructions right?
I have to set the subtitle to English every time I play a disc. I've tried several ways, using the Subtitle, Info or Menu button and it still has to be reset evertytime.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DMP-BD60K Blu Ray Player and Subtitles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DMP-BD60K Blu Ray Player and Subtitles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mistake On Model Number - Shoud be BD-P1600
by jim isham / July 9, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

The model number in the above post is wrong. It's a BD-P1600 Blu Ray Player I'm asking about.

Collapse -
DMP-BD60K Blu Ray Player and Subtitles
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 7:19 AM PDT

jim isham,

You should also be able to pick subtitles when you queue the movie. Does the player not accept those commands as well?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Subtitles
by jim isham / July 9, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

I'm not sure what you mean by "queue the movie". I think you mean when I start to play the movie.
What I am saying is, according to the information on page 36, when I plug the player in for the first time, and turn it on, I should be able to set it for the English subtitle, and then when I go to play movies from that point on, the English subtitles will always be displayed. I should not have to reset the subtitles for English every time I play a movie. That's how I read that sentence.
Another problem I'm trying to check, is that on about half of the movies I play, when the DVD Layer Change takes place, I lose the subtitle and have reset for the English subtitle.
I have a hearing problem and need the subtitles. I'm using an HDMI cable between it and the LN52A850, and as HDMI cables do not send closed captioning to the TV, I have to use the subtitles.

Collapse -
Subtitles
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Subtitles

jim isham,

I see what you're saying in regards to page 36. If this isn't happening, I'll address that with the appropriate department. I'll see if I get the same result on my system here.

What I'm saying as an alternative until I can investigate this more thoroughly, the subtitle menu in the Blu-Ray disc's movie menu should also have an option to play subtitles, and if selected will do that.

I don't know why the layer change would cause that issue, but I'll see what I can find out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Subtitles
by jim isham / July 9, 2009 12:14 PM PDT

Thank you. While watching a movie tonight, the subtitles quit working, at about 1 hour and 8 minutes into the movie. This has happened at least 4 other times in the last 10 days. I assume this was during a layer change, although I didn't see the change which has been a 1 or 2 second freeze on the other movies.
I finally got the subtitle working. One way I did it was to press the Subtitle button. English showed, but it was not working. I pressed the button again and the Spanish Subtitle was indicated, I scrolled through until English appeared again and then the subtitle started working.

Collapse -
Subtitles
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

jim isham,

Good news. I'll try on our end to get this issue fixed.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.