Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

DLS and phone question

by Rod2 / November 3, 2004 4:33 AM PST

If I subscribe to DSL and only have one phone jack, how can I use the phone and computer? I'm currently on cable but when I move all I'll have is a phone line.
Thanks, Rod

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLS and phone question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLS and phone question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DLS and phone question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: DLS and phone question

My DSL provided me with a splitter and filters and ... instructions.

Bob

Collapse -
by Rod2 / November 3, 2004 5:51 AM PST

Thanks Bob, that's good to know. I'll check with the phone company once moved.

Rod

Collapse -
Re: DSl and phone question (Digital subscriber line)
by mrmaxson / November 6, 2004 5:19 AM PST

Your phone jack is the only connection you need. The phone company that will provide your service will provide a phone jack splitter. (You can plug two phones into) A filter that will plug inline. That keeps the dsl signal from being heard by you, and it also lets the pc not hear your voice.

Nowadays the company will provide a filter that has both connection on it. Phone/DSL modem. Your dsl modem will connect to the dsl side and your phone to the phone side. So you only need the one phone connection to have dsl! Hove fun! Chris

Collapse -
by ElanVital11 / November 8, 2004 11:05 AM PST

The DSL system works differently than cable. DSL and Telephone services share the same wires, but operate through different frequencies.

Imagine DSL operating on a frequency above or below the audible range of the human ear. The information can then travel on the same line as a voice call without interruption. Of course, this is an oversimplification of the process but should give you the right idea.

Collapse -
by chuckieu / November 11, 2004 1:13 AM PST

And Rod. You are able to use one phone number for both services. In fact, I use the same number for the phone,
DSL, and Dish Network with no problems. Even have answering machine and Fax on the phone line. But you are not limited to one jack. Go to Radio Shack and get as many outlets as you need and cable to run them. Anyone can do it, the wires are color coded. Sbc/Yahoo supplied 6-7 filters in the DSL setup pack. chuck

Collapse -
by maddogthegreat / November 18, 2004 2:23 PM PST

You have to use a splitter on all phone connections, one side is for the phone and the other is for the DSL modem. In your case you will only need 1. SBC provides 6, put them somewhere I can find them later, phone connections are like rabbits, they multiply.

Collapse -
by Huston Summers / November 22, 2004 1:15 AM PST

Hey Rod,
The phone company should send you a splitter and one or more DSL filters along with the software CD when you subscribe. You can convert one phone jack into two or more with a splitter. The DSL filter will filter out the "white noise" sound of the DSL from bleeding over to your telephone set. Plug the filter into the jack or splitter portion that your phone is on. I was a user of DSL for many years before switching over to cable. I love cable it's just too expensive. Why are you switching? DSL is great once they figure out if your telephone outside plant cable will support it. Sometimes you get that border line plnat that makes it a nightmare. I have some horror stories but that's for another time.

Regards,
Huston, ex Pacific Bell DSL tech
ex employee of Alcatel DSL equipment provider
ex DSL user.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!